Hacking Going to purchase CycloDS but...

DTGS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, to be honest, this is my first step into getting into Nintendo DS Homebrew. The only type of hacking/modding I've done has been associated mostly with a PSP and an iPod Touch. Anywho, I'd just like to ask a few questions regarding this product and DS homebrew...

I've read the review on this Cart, the one buy shaunj66, and, maybe I didn't catch it but, can this cart, or any others ones, brick your Nintendo DS? I'm wondering because, at least with the PSP there's a recovery menu and Pandora/MMS, but I'm not sure anything like that exists for NDS. (Yet?)

Also, what is the best website to purchase the CycloDS. I skimmed through one topic and noticed Real Hot Stuff? Something about they give you a free Micro SD card? Are they reliable? (My folks are a bit cautious when it comes to online purchases)

Last question, what size of SD Card is recommended if I just want to play NDS games?

Anyways, I believe that's all I need to know as of now, sorry for the long read. I appreciate any help that comes my way. Thanks in advance.

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
To be honest no the cyclo has like 0 chance of bricking a DS (well I should say just about every card has about that chance) and how big the card should be. I wouldnt go lower than 2GB, but 8GB is probably overkill. Get a 2GB or 4Gb and you will be happy. Get an 8GB if you are a big gaming nerd and want to carry around 200 games at all times
smile.gif

Also I dont know where to buy it I bought mine a long time ago from gameyeeeeeah or something. Also the Edge is a very good bargain from dealextreme.com and it is just as same, but if you dont mind paying for the extra features, the cyclo IS a great great card (and I dont for a second regret my purchase)

DTGS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey thanks for the help! I guess I could always use my Cell Phone SD Card. Now which site is safest for purchasing the CycloDS?

TraumaHoundNDS

Trophies
Website
traumahound.ndsthemes.com
XP
Country
United States
I bought mine from dealwoot.com for about $50. Shipping was fast, the staff seem friendly (there's a forum topic for them at ndsthemes.com/forums ) and it arrived safe and sound. I'd be weary about a "free" SD card if the manufacturer / size / class speed isn't listed (or it's not a brand you're familiar with.)

The card works great (though it was a little tough to get the SD card out the first few times I tried...it loosens up a bit over time, I'd rather that than it falling out all the time) and I haven't heard any horror stories with it. Also, Team Cyclops is still around, working on updates and the like whereas the R4 team has gone into hiding and various other cart companies seem hit or miss with support (I can't remember which one I recently saw that doesn't host it's firmware updates on it's own site...that can't be a good sign if they think their site'll be gone.) Updates are a snap, too, just drag the update file onto the SD card then turn on the DS. The CycloDS runs the update then deletes the file, no system files to worry about.

One of the reasons I left my R4 behind was for the SDHC support. That said, I went for the biggest card I could afford to get: 8GB / Class 6 / A-Data. Picket it up from NewEgg.com for about $25. Works perfectly, no concerns with it at all, and it holds a TON of stuff on it. Plus you can have seeming endless themes on it (if that's your thing...I like to carry around the ones I make like it's a mini portfolio.)

And, lest we forget, Team Cyclops is working out how to get itself working on the new DSi. That's devotion to their product and that's something I can get behind.

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive never heard of a cyclo bricking a ds, so i dont think you have to worry about that
its one of the best flashcarts out there
the only cards you have to worry about are fake R4s and the N5 i think

where to buy? well, if youre in the US (im assuming because of the little flag under your name), then either realhotstuff, or dealwoot.
they both have about the same price
but sometimes dealwoot has free shipping/sale on cyclo
and sometimes realhotstuff has like a free 1GB
so it depends

erm, if you want lots of games on your card, you can go for the higher capacity ones, SDHC, which range from 4GB-32GB. or maybe not the 32GB, but yeah its still pretty big. im pretty satisfied with a 2GB, but thats just me

Zoro11031

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I got mine from real hot stuff and I got it in 3 days flat, and I don't live anywhere near where they shipped from! I even chose ground shipping! Not to mention along with the extra micro sd I bought, I got one free! Free! And 2 gigs too! Completely awesome.

Liselotte

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dealwoot.com

ordered mine last tuesday and got it this saturday (3 days shipping excluding tnxgvng holiday)

well most nds flash cart has 0% chance of bricking your DS, BUT do not buy cloned cart as they are just a clone from idiotic company who don;t know how to develop technology. as this clone carts has a huge chance of bricking your DS!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I will still jump onto yours :D, from time to time Psi :evil::D