Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I heard the Wii version was gonna be aimed at the more casual gamer, I was worried but after reading this hands on I am no longer.

From C&VG:
" It's 1991. It's the United States of America. It's Thanksgiving. The events of the Ghostbusters II movie - oil-painted villain Vigo the Carpathian vanquished by Dr Peter Venkman and team - took place two years ago.

But the city of New York has embraced the law of original Ghostbusters baddie Gozer, and a museum dedicated to his architecture and art is about to open. So it looks like the perfect time for our spook-smashing heroes to set up an offshoot franchise team - with you as the newest recruit.

Yada, yada, yada. All that really matters is this: Ghostbusters: The Videogame is everything we dream of from a movie tie-in. You get the real Ghostbusters, the real ghosts, the real New York - and, best of all, you get to wield a Wii remote like a Slimer-sucking, scenery-smashing Proton Pack. Let's get bustin'!

Ghostbusters, people. Ghostbusters. If you grew up with a Ray Parker Jr 7" on constant rotation and the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man on your lunchbox, if you helped the movie to its quarter of a billion dollars in takings and Bill Murray to an endless career in grump-faced comedy genius - you're already giggling excitedly. If you didn't, well, you're in for a treat.

The beauty of Ghostbusters: The Videogame is that, in essence, it's the third movie. Expecting one of those movie tie-ins that uses generic nobodies and made-up enemies? Not a bit of it. Original stars Dan Ackroyd and Harold Ramis are on board, "very excited" according to the developers, and playing a big role in writing, tweaking and tuning the script ("It's real feedback - our stuff isn't just being sent into a void," say the devs).

So you get the real Ghostbusters - and you get the real ghosts, with the team determined to deliver pretty much every spook from both films, from Slimer to the Scary Woman In The Library (our name).

But, of course, this is also one of those dream-come-true Wii games. We're getting lightsabers in Star Wars: Force Unleashed; we're getting maracas in Samba De Amigo; now - yes! - the Wii remote's a Proton Pack. We've gone hands-on, and it's ace: move with the analogue stick, aim with the Wii pointer, then press Z and - bssszzhhmm! - 500,000Mhz of particle accelerator beam arcs across the room, frazzling ghosts and furniture. When the beam turns blue, you can slam a trapped Slimer against the walls, Eledees-style. And, yep, you do push the Nunchuk forward to slide a Ghost Trap under a spook before guiding him in with the Remote, 'tugging' him toward you a stubborn fish. It really is Ghostbusters.

The Wii version of Ghostbusters is its own beast compared to the PS3 and 360 versions you might have seen elsewhere. It's lovingly stylised, with a look to Egon, Ray and the crew that's not a million miles from this month's Battalion Wars 2. And, more crucially, it's designed with Wii's multiplayer strengths in mind: so not only will it have all 10 or so single-player levels, from the streets of New York to the mysterious 'Lost Island', but also a bulging grab bag of four-player modes and minigames. There's no Wi-Fi planned, unfortunately - but the devs promise Ghostbusters is "always fun" with you and three friends.

More on that in a minute, though. Let's talk single-player. The level we got to play on Wii was The Graveyard - a murky, spooky stalk up a rocky path. It starts with nightmare-inducing glowing babies emerging from the dirt - these Wisp-Class ghosts can be dispensed with one burst of the Proton Beam. But by the end, you're up against a colossal ghost boss with a gravestone on his head. This fella needs coordination: you've got your little team of Wii-controlled Ghostbusters (proper, talking ones from the movie, remember - including the mighty Murray as Dr Peter Venkman), intelligently searching for Proton Beam and Ghost Trap points. You all need to train your beams on the boss's head when he jack-in-the-boxes up from underground. Eventually, he'll make a run for it, prompting a hectic chase back down the hill.

Other levels are epic in scale. One's set during NY's Macy's Day parade, where you're battling your way onto a float. Another's a battle through a labyrinthine library basement, all flying books and shield-wielding ghost Knights - and, yep, the return of the Scary Women In The Library. And if you were hoping for a Stay Puft appearance, how's this: a chase through New York's city streets, culminating in an eye-shattering boss fight where you're blasting at the Marshmallow Man from the side of a skyscraper while he claws his way up, his horrible distorted bug-eyed baby face grinning right at you; his fat, delicious arms bunging stone pillars at your forehead.

So, that multiplayer. For one thing: four-player co-op - a full split-screen team of you and your mates, ghost-bustin' through the solo missions. And, for another thing: four-player competitive - solo missions again, but turned into an Eledees-style beam-criss-crossing battle to be first to the ghosts.

In addition, there's a massive 'Busters vs Ghosts' mode, subdivided into several different types (which you can read about in the box below). Red Fly promise "so many maps it'll almost feel like it's randomised" - and the play, with one team skittering around as ghosts while the others train their beams on them, is shaping up to be some of Wii's most hectic, back-and-forth multiplayering, with living room competitions bound to end in Fanta poured over hair and Pringles tubes rammed down throats.

Plus, you get a slew of two-to-three-minute minigames - including a 30-second battle to bag 100 ghosts that the developer describes as being "like Hungry Hippos". Aces.
We're a long way off from playing the finished version of Ghostbusters: the team's aiming for a Christmas 2008 release.

Plenty of time to rent the DVDs, blow the dust off Ray Parker Jr, fish the lunchbox out of the attic, and get ready to bust some ghosts."

Sounds awesome, it isn't out for a year though but that could also mean a more polished game. Article and new screens at the link below:
http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=177545

King Zargo

I'm a Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Nepal
I don't think this game will be any good. Most movie games never go how you hope it will be.
frown.gif
But four-player co-op sounds cool.

"Advertisement Click Here"in the tirth subparagraph.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WOW. That sounds really awesome I hope it lives up to my expectations.

Looks like they're actually putting a whole lot of work into this.

Those proton beams look sexy

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
hadrian, you advertisement is not working, I clicked on "Click here" for half an hour before I realize there was no link.

><

On topic: What other plataforms are going to ge this game?, PS3?!?!
Co-op sounds 2 good 2 be true.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Great. Now we have to worry about crossing the damn beams.
wacko.gif

I can't wait for this. I really hope this doesn't end up disappointing. They are making a game based on my childhood. Hell will be brought if they ruin it.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Great. Now we have to worry about crossing the damn beams.Â
wacko.gif

I can't wait for this. I really hope this doesn't end up disappointing. They are making a game based on my childhood. Hell will be brought if they ruin it.
Heck, even I'm scared with that last statement, and I don't even believe in hell!

On topic: I'm seriously wondering how would the non co-op multiplayer would work.
huh.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, if they can say all that good stuff about it and there's still a year to work on it, this might really become something sweet. I sure do hope so.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS2 & Wii will have the same game, but the developers are saying that the PS2 will be a port of the Wii game and will lack many of its features.

PC, 360 & PS3 will have a game aimed at the hardcore gamer, but same story, has a more realistic look and different levels. Looks amazing from the videos I've seen. This version is said to be out on Halloween.

DS only details so far is that it is management/simulation style, you remove ghosts from buildings to earn money, top-down view and it takes place in the same time period as the console versions. And there was me expecting some lame mini game compilation.

All games will feature the same story, voice acting and so on.

If all three versions work out well then I'm in for some serious Ghostbusting gaming next year.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country

PS2 & Wii will have the same game, but the developers are saying that the PS2 will be a port of the Wii game and will lack many of its features.

PC, 360 & PS3 will have a game aimed at the hardcore gamer, but same story, has a more realistic look and different levels. Looks amazing from the videos I've seen. This version is said to be out on Halloween.

DS only details so far is that it is management/simulation style, you remove ghosts from buildings to earn money, top-down view and it takes place in the same time period as the console versions. And there was me expecting some lame mini game compilation.

All games will feature the same story, voice acting and so on.

If all three versions work out well then I'm in for some serious Ghostbusting gaming next year.

Well, it was about time the PS2 starts to get Wii ports and not the other way like it has always been
laugh.gif

I look forward to play this on my PS4, I mean 3.

Let's hope the DS version is not laughable, but sounds like it.

JohnDrake

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Strangely enough the Wii version sounds like the best version to me. Although it will probably look like crap when compared to Xbox 360 version. (I have both consoles so it doesn't really matter)

I've learned from the Godfather game that you shouldn't judge a Wii game until you play it. I played that title on multiple systems and the Wii version was by far the best of the bunch. IR aiming, motion control beatdowns, literally choking the life out of your opponents, and throwing your enemies around like ragdolls. This game wasn't even half as much fun on other systems.

I'm planning on picking up the Ghostbusters game if it turns out well. However I'm going to wait and see how the Wii version works out. Sometimes that goofy console lends itself to the best gameplay.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its god to hear that their really throwing in some good effort for the changed Wii version. A smart move since ports usually just turn into trash.

When I was little I had my own nurf styled proton pack and ghost flash light.
Ghostbusters was downright great. I still love the franchise despite its overall absence from well, everything.

Im looking forward to this and the other versions.
It sounds like they really should put in WiFi online play if they are working THAT hard on the multiplayer levels. Though saying that it'll almost feel like their randomized might mean randomized with a few not so randomly placed objects to make it feel less randomized.
Though randomized can be good too if used right.
Ya, online play is needed if they are gonna go for the multiplayer route.
Though its a little sad that this game cant have a slightly differnt story.
Like after or before the events of the 360 and PS3 games.
Ive always wanted to see a more wider spread group of ghost busters. I mean they kinda would seem like a needed installation like a fire department after all that giant ghost swatting.

Regardless though, it sounds like the Wii version will be the more fun family and friend party version while the other two are the seroius gmer versions obvoiusly.
Though Id really like to see a Wii60 pack xD
I might just get an Xbox360 just for this game if its all THAT good.

Man, when will Nintendo ever stop being scared of online play anyway?
So a ten year old will say the F word to an eighty year old, big deal, just slap an "Im not responciable" tag on it and your good.
Stoop hurting third party companies by disallowing them online support. ><
Ghost Busters with online play, hell freaken ya!

Trulen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just might have to pick this up. Ghostbusters was definately an excellent movie!

And the cartoon was pretty awesome, too.

I just hope that they don't slaughter it like the other movie-based games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.