GH-DS homebrews/hacks

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Mohammad, Aug 22, 2008.

Aug 22, 2008

GH-DS homebrews/hacks by Mohammad at 5:36 PM (2,026 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Mohammad
    OP

Member Mohammad GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just thought of this, but when the new version comes out, it should be easy to hack. The game is made to send charts and song over ad-hoc, so could we use our computer to make the ad-hoc or make a homebrew that can do ad-hoc with a real GH on DS? [​IMG] What did I forget [​IMG]

2. Balrogs.Pain

Member Balrogs.Pain GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Um, that someones already making a homebrew exactly like guitar hero?

3. alex

Member alex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Yeah, but he means, sending songs. Which means there is some space somewhere to store it. Or I think it's streaming. This gives them to do a link with World Tour or at least the Nintendo Channel. And bonus songs, but I highly doubt that, they never listen to their fan.

But I think someone with Wii hacking experience will make something to send it. [​IMG] Maybe, who knows, nothing is impossible!

4. Balrogs.Pain

Member Balrogs.Pain GBAtemp Fan

United States
    all i want is someone to find out if you can put custom songs on the SD card and see if it will work. But they did 'listen' to their fans by making custom songs, and adding more instruments.

5. Mohammad
    OP

United States
    what I meant is I could put "Echo" by "Trapt" onto my homebrew GH then go play it with my friend who is GH:OT so playing with others that don't have homebrew. ALSO this would allow us to have EXPERT graphics vs. those in fretfury and gamehero.

6. alex

United States
    Yes, you could save songs to the SD card, which is a HUGE exploit.
    You could replace the files anytime you want. [​IMG] And the only thing to stop us it a "container." I don't think .gob was a like a .zip or .rar, it's a container for the songs. If it was a compressed files, it would have to unpack it each time. It's to be convenient each time to reach in and grab it. Just like any file directory. I don't even think they care about us adding custom songs, as long as we buy it. They just got lucky, well, that's my opinion.

And the custom songs are just O.o
    You make them by using it like a guitar, but you use the touch pad to add effects, it can't choose a song, it's only certain selected tunes. But you can save it to the SD card. (exploit) So we could make it then. I got it preordered, so I'll be one of the first to test it out.

7. Mohammad
    OP

United States
    oh wait there is going to be support for custom songs in the next one? Oh am I behind :'(

8. alex

United States
    Oops, sorry, no I was going off topic and talking about World Tour. :\
    But there is that loophole. With it receiving data, may require flashing the DS though.(Now talking about Decades)

9. Mohammad
    OP

United States
    yup that's what I was talking about [​IMG]

10. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    well I thought the sending was temporary. You won't be able to "save" the song you recieved.
    and are you thinking about connecting to the computer via ad-hoc? well good luck with that

11. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    I think thats only for some songs (when it is from another version e.g. on tour -> decades)

12. Mohammad
    OP

United States
    Not to save but to take your homebrew and play with your friends, so obviously one would be running homebrew playing the game, and then you can play with non-homebrew people. But yeah sorta stupid now :/ but if the PC could ad-hoc it then an easy way to do our custom songs with the good graphics.

13. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    are you trying to say
    you want to create a homebrew that would connect to tour/decades so you can play them without the real game?
    and / or you want to make a homebrew with custom songs so you can send them to tour/decades to play them?
    well first I thought the adhoc thing was only for DS to DS connection, unless there are some extras that you connect to your computer to immitate the DS's wireless connection.
    And currently it has been found that the songs were saved inside the GOB file, and without being able to recompile the GOB, there are no such things as custom songs.
    and unless you don't know how the sending/recieving songs are done, I think this is merely impossible.

14. Mohammad
    OP

United States
    what I'm saying is when it comes out we can have a third DS "sniff" the area (that's how they steal the download stations) to see how it's streaming. Then, lets say, using fret-fury I could either have it play for me so I can use my other DS and play the song on the original with good graphics. But the first post, was saying using, lets say, FretFury that I could do a battle with a friend and use one of my custoum songs, like "echo" by "trapt" [​IMG]

~Mohammad

15. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
  16. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    the "good graphics" you are talking about is???
    the 3d graphics in the original ghds? well those graphics are part of the ROM itself, they probably won't "send" the graphics in multiplayer; only probably the song.

17. Mohammad
    OP

United States
    right but if THEY are using the GH:OT and YOUR using homebrew, OR you could set the homebrew to send the data then fake that it's playing back (pings?) so that YOU could use GH:OT with custom songs and those nice graphics XD

18. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    so you mean a homebrew will use a system similar to decades and on tour so you send inbuilt songs in your homebrew to GHOT so you can play the custom song?

well then unless knowing how the custom song is saved and sent, it's gonna be hard. what if the multiplayer actually used the GOB file, extracted the song itself, and sent that extracted portion for the other GH to recieve? to recreate that moment of extracting and sending the "appropriate file", you will need to have the gob.

well even though you don't know how it's done yet, i thought this "sending a song" was done only for vs mode or something, not to temporarily distribute a song for them to play. so even if you do have custom songs in the right format, each DS will have to be constantly bouncing off and recieiving data. the homebrew will need to act just like a commercial game, and make the homebrew act like it's purposly missing a note. now unless some reverse engineering is done with On Tour so you figure out how stuff are done, this might be a little impossible.

And you can't do any multitasking with this weak handheld (well, in this case) so you can't run a homebrew and ghot at the same time on 1 DS. so you'll need to go with your second method about using 2 DSs.

but until you figure out if it's the song portion of the GOB that is sent, or more "extra" stuff is sent, you'll never know if this can be done or not.

So don't get your hopes up high; wait for decades to release and find out how multiplayer works between games with different songs.