Getting started with Flashcards

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by SpecOp44, Apr 9, 2016.

1. SpecOp44
    OP

SpecOp44 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2016
    Canada
    I want to transfer DS games on my Nintendo DS (first Gen) and onto my DS Lite. No need for emulation.

What is the best card for what I want to do?

Where would I order one online for Canada?

Thanks,

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Your best card for DS gaming would be either the Supercard DSTwo or R4i Gold (from r4ids.cn/)
    Supercard DSTwo has tons of bells and whistles. On-Board CPU for GBA/SNES emulation, RTS/RTC, ect. But seriously kills your battery life
    R4i Gold is more simple, no on-board CPU, so limited SNES/GBA emulation, but still has RTS.
    The problem with the DS is that it doesn't have on-board memory, so backing up your own games is going to be tough.

GuyInDogSuit likes this.
  3. SpecOp44
    OP

SpecOp44 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2016
    Canada

Last edited by SpecOp44, Apr 9, 2016
  4. SpecOp44
    OP

SpecOp44 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2016
    Canada
    Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible to transfer my DS Rom backups of my games onto the R41 Gold card and play them from the DS?

5. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    DS flashcarts work right of of the box with DS ROMs. That's basically their primary function

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    In most cases you are better off downloading the ROM. You can dump your own saves far more easily as they are small files you can send over wifi or one of the other methods where sending DS ROMs over wifi (your only method unless you buy some other hardware) is painful.

7. SpecOp44
    OP

SpecOp44 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2016
    Canada
    Thats what I was planning on doing but the earlier mention of "backing up my own games" lead me to believe discussing Roms were against the rules.

Of course I will only download the ones I own ;)

8. GuyInDogSuit

GuyInDogSuit I ain't your pa.

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Antelope, CA
    It's not against the rules to discuss backups. It's only against the rules to discuss piracy. Such as mentioning sites where to download ROMs, etc.

I highly recommend the Supercard DSTwo. As mentioned, it can emulate SNES, GBA, NES, Genesis, Gameboy (Color), etc, and run all kinds of homebrew. Plus, it is supported on firmwares up to 1.4.5, which I believe was the last update for the original DS and DSi models. The DSTwo can also run on 3DS firmwares 9.2 and below, which is ideal to have that firmware anyway because you can install CIAs on it and CFW is a lot easier to do without having to downgrade. So keep that in mind, if you ever plan to upgrade to a N3DS.

All you would need to do is copy the ROMs to your microSD card, along with the required firmware files, and insert into your flashcart and play. Not sure about backing up saves from your original retail carts, though. But the other suggestions for that sound like your best bet.

9. SpecOp44
    OP

SpecOp44 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2016
    Canada
    Thanks for all the info.

Now, I'm having trouble finding a non-shady looking website to ship to canada.. any suggestions?

10. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    If you ever get a 3DS you'll be able to use CFW that unblocks flashcarts, so you don't need the DSTwo. Moreover, the extra processor in it uses up battery power.

11. GuyInDogSuit

GuyInDogSuit I ain't your pa.

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Antelope, CA
    modchipsdirect.com, modchipcentral.com, and there's another one in Canada but the name escapes me.

12. ModchipCentral

ModchipCentral GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2007
    Canada
    We are located in Canada & have fast shipping!
    You won't be billed any brokerage fees.
    We have lots of stock of all the Flash Carts!
    Thank you
    WWW.MODCHIPCENTRAL.COM:)

GuyInDogSuit likes this.