Getting started in Android App development?

Discussion in 'Android' started by Harsky, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I know the chances of making a million selling app is not likely but I've always been interested in trying my hand at developing an Android app/game. Unfortunately my experience with coding is non-existant so is this pretty much a hobby that is only for the experienced or can anyone actually do this if they are willing to put the effort into it?

2. yuuna

yuuna Hello, this is turtle.

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2012
    Malaysia
    need effort and experience. currently i am doing an app for blackberry, even though i've learnt java for quite some time, it's still tough to learn more in j2me platform (same goes to android i assume) and its API..

3. Jayenkai

Jayenkai GBAtemp Regular

Dec 25, 2007
    I'm currently using the Language "Monkey" (MonkeyCoder.co.nz)
    It uses a more old-skool language structure, and allows you to compile your game onto a variety of different systems.
    The language costs about £100, but the free edition allows you to use the language to create browser-based HTML5 games.

You can essentially use the language for free, to make simple little games in your browser (and even pop them online for other people to try out) and then if you decide that you like the language, and want to get more out of it, you can upgrade to the full version, and start churning out the Android apps.

.. Or if you find you don't like the language, you've not spent anything, so it's no loss!

Hikaru likes this.
  4. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    what jayenkai suggested is great but from what I have seen with AppInventor... marvelous

drag and drop chunks of code, avoid syntax errors and lots of tutorials eg. games and stuff

appinventor.mit.edu

5. Aeter

Aeter A walking contradiction

Apr 1, 2009
    Netherlands
    The lands of nether
    AppInventor is cool and all, but if you really want to learn how to develop, not click and drop, and learn how to write the actual code, you need to learn Java or Flash.
    And if going the Java path, you need to learn how to create a user interface for Android and learn about activity related stuff.

6. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!

Yeah, but Appinventor is a good start. He's not asking to learn coding and all, just to develop. Once he uses Appinventor and sees its limits and short comings, then he can expand.

7. trigger_ftu

trigger_ftu The FantomPhox

Nov 23, 2008
    United States
    Germany
    Try with unity if you want game development, there are tutorials for it. There is a tutorial on using eclipse for android app development. If I remember on YouTube look up bracks tutorials.

8. ilman

ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    Unity helps quite a lot with pre-made scripts and support for C++ and C# on Android but the licensing fees can be quote expensive. If you're serious about this and won't give up, I'd say find a good Java tutorial or book, learn Java fully and then start using Eclipse in combination with the Android SDK.

9. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    These help you with the basics enormously :
    http://www.youtube.com/mybringback
    do basic java
    then java game development
    then basic android
    then advanced android
    then I would learn libgdx http://www.youtube.com/user/doctoriley?feature=watch

(if you want you can kinda skip the android videos and go straight to libgdx. but I would kinda advise against it since you learn more details of the platform)

Someone else give some resources, these are the best I know of.

Also all gbatemp members should know that unity "can be"(is) free ;) (I have it but have yet to use it myself)

(if you use appinventor, gamemaker, ect you learn nothing and idk how creative they get? But I have yet to use those either >.>;)

10. trigger_ftu

trigger_ftu The FantomPhox

Nov 23, 2008
    United States
    Germany
    The just a heads up on the unity topic, their policies for android and game development and distribution of content has been changed for 4.5. Unity is something I had learned in collage and widely used by the instructor I had. Anyhoo read up before going to make something commercial.