getting sick playing games

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Youkai, Oct 2, 2011.

Oct 2, 2011

getting sick playing games by Youkai at 9:52 AM (793 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Youkai
    OP

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    Anyone else same Problem like me ?

There are many Games, mostly shooter where i start feeling sick very fast !

Just recently I started playing Dead Island with some friends but they are already píssed at me cuz i cannot play longer than half an hour !
    I already start getting sick after the first few minutes. (like i am seasick)

Any idea why this is happening ? already tried to play a little bit with the grafic options but didn't really help.

2. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    It's called motion sickness. I get it only on games with intense amounts of weird motion (like Super Monkey Ball). Common motion sickness remedies should keep ya going. I find carbonated drinks work well to calm my stomach.

3. Jugarina

Member Jugarina GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yup either motion sickness, (they got pills you can take for that over the counter) or It could be a sign of mild epilepsy. Either case, take breaks regardless of what other people think or say, It's your health.

4. Raiser

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    Most likely motion sickness. My friend has a bit of trouble with Portal 2 because of it's odd FOV (apparently).

As Nathan Drake says, something like Gravol should help. Try to take short breaks every now and then as well.

5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Sonic Adventure and the games that followed are also well known for causing motion sickness. The crazier the level design, the more the camera has to move to keep up, and the more likely someone will feel sick trying to follow it.

6. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    what size is your TV?

Maybe it's too big, or you are not far enough of the screen.
    Try playing in a well lit room, at reasonable distance. (That's also what Japanese anime are recommending every time!)

The dizzy feeling may be because you see only the image of the game, and your eyes information doesn't match your body's movement perception.
    Maybe by playing more far of the TV, your brain will see that the environment around the TV is not moving, matching your body movement perception. Only a part of what you are watching will be moving.
    Try playing the game by keeping in mind your environment, not looking only at the picture inside the TV, but at the TV as a whole.

Sometime I'm getting a special effect where I can't tell which position my body is laying down. It's like I'm floating (but not feeling seasick at all, just not feeling all body's current position). This one is a good effect [​IMG]

7. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    I get that too.....[​IMG]

Discovered it playing Half-Life (the original). I feel like such a failure....

8. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    There's a couple of games that makes me feel this way too, the games that makes me feel the most is actually DOOM 1 and 2. It's super fast, a lot of that weapon going from left to right back to left thing, pixelated graphics on a huge screen, and so fast (once again).

But yeah, carbonated drinks, salt (like chips), and pills for motion sickness are all good things for that [​IMG] Those pills can make you a little bit sleepy though [​IMG] at least for me.

9. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    I consider myself very susceptible to kinetosis (to the point where I can hardly look at a screen for a minute in a moving vehicle), but I rarely get it while playing games. Watching games is far worse. I tend to play windowed, though, which also gives me more static surroundings for the games I play.

10. Youkai
    OP

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    Thanks for all your answers so its not just me ^^V

Hmm ok maybe i whould try sitting further away ... think i am about 30cm away from my screen which might be not enough.
    extremely worse when the character goes down taking stuff from the ground these movements make me especially sick.

11. Saken

Member Saken GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I get this too, except it's not the kind of sickness you're all thinking. It's more the "THIS GAME SUCKS, IT'S MAKING ME SICK" thing.
    Basically every game on the PS3, Xbox360, Wii, WiiU, PS4, Xbox720... you get my drift.

Nearly all console game make me sick, because they suck so much. 80% of the games are shooters... i.e crap.
    I hope CoD and all the wannabee CoDs descend from the throne and a better genre of games come and conquer the market. Hopefully SOON.

Don't get me started on Assassin Creeds and Uncharteds and Halos either.

Anyway, back to some retro games which don't make me "sick".

12. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    The first time I played Borderlands I had a lot of trouble with motion sickness and focusing on objects. This was caused by the weird camera zooming that happened every time you engaged in sprinting.

13. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    More specifically this sort of motion sickness is referred to as "DIMS" or Doom-Induced Motion Sickness.
    You can imagine around what time period the problem was first widely noticed.
    The only game that has ever made me feel it is Portal 2.

14. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Can't say this happens to me but I know a friend who has an issue with it with some games (namely like Alien vs. Predator when you can jump from the floor to ceiling and crap).

But with all these "shaky cam" games nowadays, it's definitely possible.