Getting PC Engine/Turbografx 16 CD games to run

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, so to play pc engine/turbografx 16 CD games on Wiimednafen or Wiiengine I need to drag the contents of a game (ISO and CUE files) to bincuesplit.exe but when I do that only .toc file appears in the folder and nothing else, no .ogg or some other files. I mean it shouldn't be that way, right?

Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Why use WiiEngine in year 2022?

Jesus that emulator is soooo very very old, buggy and doesn't have many compatibility on TG-16 (CD) / PCE (CD) games like most modern emulators nowadays.

WiiMednafen (download here the latest 0.3-SNAPSHOT) can directly load TG-16 (CD) / PCE (CD) rom images on BIN+CUE, ISO+CUE, ISO+OGG+CUE formats without anything else than the PCE Super System Card 3.0 (Japan) BIOS (renamed as syscard3.pce).

Another option is using the Beetle PCE Fast core from RA-HEXAECO.

Reactions: Qaztab

Qaztab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also will recommend WiiMednafen. I use it exclusively for all my PC Engine/Turbografx games.

Took a peek at my PC Engine CD folder and it has all kinds of file extensions(cue, iso, ccd, img, bin, ogg). Some games are bin&cue, some are iso&cue&toc&ogg, some are cue& iso. They all work.

I'm not sure what bincuesplit.exe is or why you would use it to import images into WiiMednafen if you already have the iso and cue files.

I remember the biggest issue I had with setting Wiimednafen up was finding a syscard3.pce that booted everything I had. Make sure you put that file in the "\wiimednafen" directory. CD games won't boot otherwise.

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, got it, I didn't say that I wanted to exclusively use WiiEngine, I mentioned Wiimednafen as well. I just thought the procedure was the same for both emulators.

Now, I know and try the new version of Wiimednafen. I also found out that Retroarch was capable of playing PC Engine/Turbografx CD games. Is it the same as with Wiimednafen? I mean does Retroarch support all formats?

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
RetroArch can play both HuCards/Turbo Chips (.pce format) and Super CD games (Bin/Cue), yes. The Core is Beetle PCE Fast, and I don't know if it's based on the same as WiiMednafen's, but it works really well, and properly set up it gives a cleaner picture. It also has a core for the SupeGrafx, if you want to play the... Five games, I think? It had.

You will need to have some special file, Syscard3.pce to have compatibility for CD games. It should be put in root/retroarch/system for official releases, or for HexaEco (An alternate version of RetroArch) root/private/other/system.

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RetroArch can play both HuCards/Turbo Chips (.pce format) and Super CD games (Bin/Cue), yes. The Core is Beetle PCE Fast, and I don't know if it's based on the same as WiiMednafen's, but it works really well, and properly set up it gives a cleaner picture. It also has a core for the SupeGrafx, if you want to play the... Five games, I think? It had.

You will need to have some special file, Syscard3.pce to have compatibility for CD games. It should be put in root/retroarch/system for official releases, or for HexaEco (An alternate version of RetroArch) root/private/other/system.
can you tell me where I can find the Beetle PCE Fast core and the core for the SupeGrafx?

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
neither Wiimednafen nor RA-HEXAECO nor RetroArch play pc engine/turbografx 16 CD games. I have Syscard3.pce in the right folders but the games won't launch (Wiimednafen says sorry unsupported file format or something like that, RA-HEXAECO and RetroArch just reload when I launch games pc engine/turbografx 16 CD games, no matter what cores I choose). I got it to work with an old version of RetroArch but with a new one its just a black screen and then reload.

So, lets start from the beginning. How do I get pc engine/turbografx 16 CD games to work on Wiimednafen? I downloaded the latest version from the above link, my games are .bin .cue in the zip folders. Maybe my syscard3.pce is wrong? Anyway, what should I do?

Last edited by cereal_killer,

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
neither Wiimednafen nor RA-HEXAECO nor RetroArch play pc engine/turbografx 16 CD games. I have Syscard3.pce in the right folders but the games won't launch (Wiimednafen says sorry unsupported file format or something like that, RA-HEXAECO and RetroArch just reload when I launch games pc engine/turbografx 16 CD games, no matter what cores I choose). I got it to work with an old version of RetroArch but with a new one its just a black screen and then reload.

So, lets start from the beginning. How do I get pc engine/turbografx 16 CD games to work on Wiimednafen? I downloaded the latest version from the above link, my games are .bin .cue in the zip folders. Maybe my syscard3.pce is wrong? Anyway, what should I do?
1. Maybe your syscard3.pce file is corrupted? The correct one is called "PC Engine Super System Card 3.0 (Japan)", but you still have to rename it as syscard3.pce
2. Maybe you have a bad BIN/CUE for your games? Try getting good dumps of it, i recommend using the Redump ones (Internet Archive is your friend)

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Maybe your syscard3.pce file is corrupted? The correct one is called "PC Engine Super System Card 3.0 (Japan)", but you still have to rename it as syscard3.pce
2. Maybe you have a bad BIN/CUE for your games? Try getting good dumps of it, i recommend using the Redump ones (Internet Archive is your friend)
1. Thats exactly what's it called and I renamed it to syscard3.pce
2. That's exactly where I downloaded all my games.

Funny thing is I got them running on an old version of retroarch, but the one you suggested doesn't work at all. Maybe I am doing something wrong but I doubt that. I mean i will get back to the old version but the new version should work even better.

How do you load cores to retroarch? Can you just copy/paste .dol files into the retroarch-wii folder? Or it doesn't work like that?

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
How do you load cores to retroarch? Can you just copy/paste .dol files into the retroarch-wii folder? Or it doesn't work like that?
Just copy the cores (.dol files) and paste them into "retroarch-wii" folder (if you're using vanilla RA Wii) or "RA-HEXAECO" folder (if you're using RA-HEXAECO mod).

If you're using the latest vanilla RA Wii, then you MUST copy the folder "info" from the 7z file of your downloaded RA Wii and paste it into "retroarch-wii" folder.
The "info" folder and its info files are now required nowadays, otherwise the cores just don't work, lol.

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just copy the cores (.dol files) and paste them into "retroarch-wii" folder (if you're using vanilla RA Wii) or "RA-HEXAECO" folder (if you're using RA-HEXAECO mod).

If you're using the latest vanilla RA Wii, then you MUST copy the folder "info" from the 7z file of your downloaded RA Wii and paste it into "retroarch-wii" folder.
The "info" folder and its info files are now required nowadays, otherwise the cores just don't work, lol.
ok, what about games? can they be in the zip folder? I mean a zip archive containing BIN/CUE files? Or they should be extracted?

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
ok, what about games? can they be in the zip folder? I mean a zip archive containing BIN/CUE files? Or they should be extracted?
BIN/CUE can be zipped and played as .zip (i think?), but for ensure that i won't have too many issues I prefer extracting the BIN/CUE files and open/load the CUE file on the RA Wii (remember, CUE file still needs all the BIN files because the CUE only reads them).

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, I'll try messing with retroarch once more, but how do you play PC Engine/Turbografx 16 CD games on wiimednafen?

I mean, I downloaded the latest version, following the link that you sent me but it won't load PC Engine/Turbografx 16 CD games, other stuff it plays well. I put syscard3.pce in the root/wiimednafen folder. But when I click on the game, it says all kinds of stuff, like "sorry, unsupported rom" "the file is to big" "this rom can't be played" or something like that. I mean I have like 50 games and none of them work. Maybe I should do some tuning up?

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
ok, I'll try messing with retroarch once more, but how do you play PC Engine/Turbografx 16 CD games on wiimednafen?

I mean, I downloaded the latest version, following the link that you sent me but it won't load PC Engine/Turbografx 16 CD games, other stuff it plays well. I put syscard3.pce in the root/wiimednafen folder. But when I click on the game, it says all kinds of stuff, like "sorry, unsupported rom" "the file is to big" "this rom can't be played" or something like that. I mean I have like 50 games and none of them work. Maybe I should do some tuning up?
share screenshots of how you have your BIN/CUEs, and the root/wiimednafen folder

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some of them are BIN/CUE files, while others are CCD, IMG, SUB but someone above mentioned that it plays all formats

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 2.png
    2.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 3.png
    3.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 4.png
    4.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 5.png
    5.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 70

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
some of them are BIN/CUE files, while others are CCD, IMG, SUB but someone above mentioned that it plays all formats
That could explain the probkem. WiiMednafen is problematic with zipped games, if the emulator detects that the zip file overpasses certain limit, then it won't load.

Try extracting every ZIP of your games. You should see only the BIN/CUE files of your PCE CD games and not the ZIP files. Then on the emulator, load the CUE file.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s