Hacking Getting newer games to boot from menu

MasterJunior

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I recently just went through hell to install HBC and everything else possible and thankfully I did not brick my Wii. I finished it off with an update to 4.0 then 4.1 with waninkokos updater. I thought that after I had updated to 4.1 all newer games would play so I tried playing Overlord Dark Legend but it asked me to update and it said press OK to update with no way to escape, I held the power button and restarted my Wii, lol.

I have a drivekey installed so whats up with this thing? What could I be missing to boot games from menu? Id really appreciate some help.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Install preloader and enable the "Skip Disc Updates" patch...!!
smile.gif

MasterJunior

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, feel the loveeeeeeee, i will do some looking now for this program and see all how it works, is it a relatively safe program to use? the last thing I need is a brick when im basically done, lol

any reason as to why my games wont just load up though? If im at the newest system update everything should be there.

EDIT: oh boy, it says the changes are not temporary and it can brick the Wii, I think ill wait for tomorrow or another date to try it out. If you have any other suggestions feel free. Since my Wii wouldnt let me install bootmii as boot2 I could only install it as an IOS which I guess is basically useless, thus my Wii if bricked is DEAD! lol, can anything be done to help protect it from bricks?

Lexip;

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see how the update would do any damage. You're already on 4.1 it probably just wants to install some updated IOS's. Only downside of that is your lose the trucha bug, but thats no big deal.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Preloader is basically the only thing that can offer you any brick protection since you can't do a boot2 install of bootmii. Basically as long as you don't do something stupid like delete IOS60, then you should be able to recover from most bricks with preloader.

If you haven't already you will need to run the Trucha Bug Restorer first to patch the trucha bug and ES_Identify into IOS36 as this video shows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltrd3oq8hPc...re=channel_page

Then install cIOS rev14 using IOS36 while you're at it (if you haven't).

Then you should be able to install preloader fine.

MasterJunior

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the replys, so basically I must be missing some IOS that the game needs or wants? (I doubt it "needs" it if it plays just fine with a loader)

Lexip: I was thinking the same but who knows, lol, definitely not me. I have another Wii thats about a year older so maybe it can have bootmii and I would try a lot more on that one without worry.

urherenow: Hmmm, ill do some research on that.

nabster: I believe I did that patch already, is there a way to confirm? Also during the upgrading to 4.0 the guide had me install rev9 and I didnt see anything about revs after that. If I have rev14 already would it hurt to install it again? I dont think upgrading to 4.1 would automatically install that custom rev14 file.

timtlm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waninkoko's 4.0 and 4.1 updaters only update the necessary files to get to 4.0/4.1. It doesn't update al the IOS's to the latest versions like a traditional system update. The updates on the disc see that you don't have the latest IOS, and wants you to update.

I always do a system update in the wii settings to get the latest IOS files (NOT by disc). It's safer and more complete than the updaters. Honestly, it is so easy to get the trucha bug back with all the recent tools that have been released (TBR and DOP-IOS) that it doesn't really matter. If you have a cIOS it won't be overwritten, and you can still use wad manager without having to worry about running TBR or DOP-IOS.

Also, startpatch will allow you to ignore updates too, but I just wanted to put my two cents in.

MasterJunior

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I did an update in my current state would it just add the missing IOS or would Nintendo try and redo everything??? Someone had told me just to let it update "let it update - it won't hurt unless it's the wrong region..." From a knowledgeable mod at a site.

So many options, so many possibilities! lol, Its easy for everyone to say stuff like let it update, do an update you could always just patch it again since they probably all have bootmii. I would really like to cut out as many patchings/hackings/whatever as I can.

Since im probably still on rev9 should I go and install rev14? I dont even know what those things do but I figure its updated for a reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I do have webos