Hacking getting fsgetmountsource failed after adding games

fattahrider

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
hi all. been looking through all the forums for a fix to this but to no avail. what i am experiencing is a bit of a challenge for me. so i managed to get to launch homebrew launcher and loadiine just fine. no probs there. its just that when i put games in, thats where i experience the "fsgetmountsource failed' error. i put it in this structure : D:\wiiu\games\name of game [titleid]. thats when i run into problems running loadiine and homebrew launcher. the game has all the complete 3 folders, "code", "content", "meta". i fail to see what is wrong with the file structure and have been. trying for two days straight with no success. if i remove the game, launches loadiine and homebrew launcher perfectly. if i put the game back in, keep getting "fsgetmountsource failed"

fattahrider

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
put the game in, run mii maker and create a mii image.
if it doesnt work i guess its fragmented or something
thx i shall try your suggestion:) so to be clear. i put the game on the sd card, go to mii maker, create a mii image and what do i do from there? will it auto launch loadiine or are there any other additional steps?

EDIT: that didnt work at all. well im stumped. :/

Last edited by fattahrider,

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thx i shall try your suggestion:) so to be clear. i put the game on the sd card, go to mii maker, create a mii image and what do i do from there? will it auto launch loadiine or are there any other additional steps?

EDIT: that didnt work at all. well im stumped. :/

Which version of loadiine are you using?

Also, what OS are you using to load games on to sd card?

Last edited by Bug_Checker_,
Reactions: fattahrider
D

Deleted User

FSGetMountSource errors mean that the program failed to read from the file system of your SD Card, which likely means that it is corrupted. You should maybe try de-fragmenting it, or reformatting it (FAT32 file system, 64k clusters if it is an option).

Another cause of this error is dust build-up inside your SD Card port or on your SD Card. You will probably need to magically remove that gunk.

KevinX8

Proud user of The Dark Theme
Trophies
XP
Country
It means that it just failed to mount the sd, usually happens when the pins are not perfectly alligned. Just reinsert the sd until it starts working. Other than that you can try reformatting if that thosen't help . PS flash storage those not get fragmented since there are no moving parts so thats just BS

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It means that it just failed to mount the sd, usually happens when the pins are not perfectly alligned. Just reinsert the sd until it starts working. Other than that you can try reformatting if that thosen't help . PS flash storage those not get fragmented since there are no moving parts so thats just BS
Fragmentation basically means if you have a sd card(or any storage device) space laid out of let us say 8 gigs.
And each file you put on a brand new sd card is 1 gig, then you delete every other 1 gig file(starting with either thew 1st file or the second file)
Example:
Starting files 1 gig each:
"slot a" 1
"slot b" 2
"slot c" 3
"slot d" 4
"slot e" 5
"slot f" 6
"slot g" 7
"slot h" 8

Then delete:
"slot a" 1
"slot b" blank
"slot c" 3
"slot d" blank
"slot e" 5
"slot f" blank
"slot g" 7
"slot h" blank
or
"slot a" blank
"slot b" 2
"slot c" blank
"slot d" 4
"slot e" blank
"slot f" 6
"slot g" blank
"slot h" 8

Now, you add a file that is 4 gigs to fit on to the sd card (without defragging the sd card). That 4 gig file must be broken up into 4 pieces [in the example] and placed all over the sd card in the blank(empty) spaces.
Since, the file is now broken up and located in different parts of the sd card, no fast read option is available.
The file is now non-consecutively placed on the sd card. You must seek to a new position of the sd card for each part of the file.
This can make the process much slower and add additional problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragmentation_(computing)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defragmentation

D

Deleted User

PS flash storage those not get fragmented since there are no moving parts so thats just BS
P.P.S. SD Cards still suffer from fragmentation issues (its a part of the FAT32 file system, SD Cards cannot evade it), but due to the flash memory not relying on a single moving part, the speed is not impacted by fragmentation. File system errors can still happen from excessive fragmentation, and too much fragmentation can result in failed read/write requests.

fattahrider

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Which version of loadiine are you using?

Also, what OS are you using to load games on to sd card?

im using the latest nightly build of loadiine nightly build 0dffac5 and my os is windows 10

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

FSGetMountSource errors mean that the program failed to read from the file system of your SD Card, which likely means that it is corrupted. You should maybe try de-fragmenting it, or reformatting it (FAT32 file system, 64k clusters if it is an option).

Another cause of this error is dust build-up inside your SD Card port or on your SD Card. You will probably need to magically remove that gunk.

i havent tried defragmenting it yet but iahve tried reformating it many times to fat32, 64kb clusters. or even NTFS first then fat32 64kb clusters.
the sd card im using btw is a 64gb stronium class 10 sd xc.

Fragmentation basically means if you have a sd card(or any storage device) space laid out of let us say 8 gigs.
And each file you put on a brand new sd card is 1 gig, then you delete every other 1 gig file(starting with either thew 1st file or the second file)
Example:
"slot a" 1
"slot b" 2
"slot c" 3
"slot d" 4
"slot e" 5
"slot f" 6
"slot g" 7
"slot h" 8

Then delete:
"slot a" 1
"slot b" blank
"slot c" 3
"slot d" blank
"slot e" 5
"slot f" blank
"slot g" 7
"slot h" blank
or
"slot a" blank
"slot b" 2
"slot c" blank
"slot d" 4
"slot e" blank
"slot f" 6
"slot g" blank
"slot h" 8

Now, you add a file that is 4 gigs to fit on to the sd card (without defragging the sd card). That 4 gig file must be broken up into 4 pieces [in the example] and placed all over the sd card in the blank(empty) spaces.
Since, the file is now broken up and located in different parts of the sd card, no fast read option is available.
The file is now non-consecutively placed on the sd card. You must seek to a new position of the sd card for each part of the file.

woah i didnt know sd cards suffer fragmentation too

P.P.S. SD Cards still suffer from fragmentation issues (its a part of the FAT32 file system, SD Cards cannot evade it), but due to the flash memory not relying on a single moving part, the speed is not impacted by fragmentation. File system errors can still happen from excessive fragmentation, and too much fragmentation can result in failed read/write requests.

so what programs do you recommend i use to defragment said card?

D

Deleted User

If you're using Windows 10, use the built-in de-fragmenting tool.
If you plan to try re-formatting again, perhaps try using the official SD Card formatting tool.

If this doesn't work, one of your folders may contain invalid files. I use a Mac, and as such I once had to deal with Mac metadata files messing up the layout of HBL, and those same sorts of files crashing Yet Another Wad Manager Mod. See if there are any files in your folders that shouldn't be there, such as files beginning with "._"

fattahrider

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
If you're using Windows 10, use the built-in de-fragmenting tool.
If you plan to try re-formatting again, perhaps try using the official SD Card formatting tool.

If this doesn't work, one of your folders may contain invalid files. I use a Mac, and as such I once had to deal with Mac metadata files messing up the layout of HBL, and those same sorts of files crashing Yet Another Wad Manager Mod. See if there are any files in your folders that shouldn't be there, such as files beginning with "._"

tried all the above and still the same prob. switched around the sd card adapters too and found only one working adapter that worked loading up loadiine.
i tried loading uo loadiine, took out the sd card while loadiine was still on and transferred the game to the sd card in wiiu\game\pokken tournament [gameid],
put sd card back in wiiu and pressed the home button to refresh loadiine and then the error "fsgetmountsource failed" again :/

it would be great if you guys can show me screenshots of your sd card structure so that i could compare

D

Deleted User

The FSGetMountSource error doesn't mean that anything is wrong with your SD Card folder structure, it means that it failed to actually read the "list of files" on your SD Card. Something is obviously going wrong here, but I really don't know what.

fattahrider

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The FSGetMountSource error doesn't mean that anything is wrong with your SD Card folder structure, it means that it failed to actually read the "list of files" on your SD Card. Something is obviously going wrong here, but I really don't know what.

yeah im really stumped at this too. i mean if my file structure was wrong, i wouldnt be able to even launch loadiine or hbl in the firstplace correct? and my games placement i followed it to a tee. so i dont know whats wrong with this. either its the microsd card issue or whatnot

EDIT: im gonna try switching to my other sd card. sandisk 64gb sdxcI
EDIT EDIT. i mananged to get to work by changing sd cards to the above mentioned one

Last edited by fattahrider,

KevinX8

Proud user of The Dark Theme
Trophies
XP
Country
Example:
"slot a" 1
"slot b" 2
"slot c" 3
"slot d" 4
"slot e" 5
"slot f" 6
"slot g" 7
"slot h" 8

Then delete:
"slot a" 1
"slot b" blank
"slot c" 3
"slot d" blank
"slot e" 5
"slot f" blank
"slot g" 7
"slot h" blank
or
"slot a" blank
"slot b" 2
"slot c" blank
"slot d" 4
"slot e" blank
"slot f" 6
"slot g" blank
"slot h" 8

Um flash storage those not consecutively place data on the drive, it is placed randomly all over it like RAM so those not matter where it is located, it will not have any effect. Here is a quote from wikipedia:
"There is limited benefit to reading data sequentially (beyond typical FS block sizes, say 4 KB), making fragmentation negligible for SSDs.[118] Defragmentation would cause wear by making additional writes of the NAND flash cells, which have a limited cycle life.[119][120]However, even on SSDs there is a practical limit on how much fragmentation certain file systems can sustain; once that limit is reached, subsequent file allocations fail.[121] As such, defragmentation may still be necessary, although to a lesser degree.[121]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive
used the SSD article as both sd cards and ssds perform the same way with sd cards just being much slower with cheaper parts as they are both flash storage. basically speaking, defragging can actually HARM your storage device rather than help it if it flash based and defragging is only a last resort if your file system is royaly fd.
Here is some evidence from microsoft themselves, if you don't trust me

QTZMLn6.png

Last edited by KevinX8,
Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse