Getting back to stock....Help!

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by nucklebiter, Apr 16, 2014.

1. nucklebiter
    OP

nucklebiter Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2014
    United States
    Hello everyone! I am about to buy a used Wii U. The person that I am about to buy the Wii U from told me that it is soft-modded to play Wii games off of a external HD. Now, I am not ageist modding at all, but I like to keep my systems stock and up to date with the latest firmware from Nintendo. So my question is, How can I get back to a totally stock Wii U? He told me that he is using Wiiflow, and all I had to do is update to the latest firmware from Nintendo and it would go back to stock/remove Wiiflow....true? Can I get read of it and go back to a complete stock Wii U or am I stuck with the Wiiflow? And if I am stuck with the Wiiflow, can I still use the Wii U part of the console to get on-line, play games, and download updates/firmware updates?

Thanks for all the help in advance! Also, if you need anymore info please let me know. I kinda need to know ASAP as we are supposed to be meeting tomorrow. Thanks!

2. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    You don't have to worry about WiiFlow or any other homebrew on your system. You can update your Wii U as you normally would, homebrew currently only affects vWii. Unfortunately for you, and fortunately for most of us, no, updating your Wii U won't remove WiiFlow or the Homebrew Channel or anything else, but if all you're using vWii for is playing your Wii games like you normally would through the disc channel, you shouldn't notice a real difference, just a few extra icons on the home screen.

3. nucklebiter
    OP

nucklebiter Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2014
    United States

Many thanks for the quick reply! So there is just no way to get the system back to stock? Also, if that is the case, I shouldn't run into any problems getting online, updating my games, and updating my system on the Wii U side of things?

4. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    This question has been asked before if you do some searching. Theoretically you could use AnyTitle Deleter along with other homebrew in order to remove WiiFlow and other channels. It probably has cIOS installed, and that would have to be uninstalled too, and then you would have to re-install the original versions of the WADs it replaces. Everything considered, to completely return to stock is pretty risky and could very easily end up with a brick. I doubt anybody here would recommend going through with it. Why not leave it? Why revert to stock?

5. nucklebiter
    OP

nucklebiter Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2014
    United States
    Well that's just it. If it doesn't effect anything to do with the Wii u side of things then I won't ever mess with it or think about it. But if I can't get online then I don't want it.

I also search my butt off for the awnser to my question but I am very nooby when it comes to modding. So I don't even know what I'm looking for lol. Everything I found was for installing wiiflow.

6. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    No, as far as the Wii U side is concerned, you can still do everything you normally would with any other Wii U. Nintendo will be shutting down their servers for DS & Wii games next month, so the games you'd play on vWii you can't play online regardless. So far I don't think anybody has been banned for playing online with a modded Wii, except if they're using hacks for cheats that ruin other player's experience.

7. nucklebiter
    OP

nucklebiter Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2014
    United States
    You have been a huge help! Thank you!

8. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    There is one thing to consider with the Wii U. If you ever need it repaired by Nintendo, they may reject it if they detected that homebrew is/has been present on the console. because of this, make sure to buy games on disc whenever possible to avoid any loss of games should the Wii U stop functioning right one day.