Getting back into the Wii after almost 10 years

AzzidReign

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My daughter has been showing more interest in video games lately and what better system to put her on than Wii? Kids already twist and turn their game controllers when they play, I think the Wii will be innate for the kids to pick up. However, currently she is really interested in the Zombie rail shooters like House of the Dead...she's 4. lol Currently, that's the only game that she understands the controls to. Just a little more time and she'll be driving laps around me in Mario Kart!

I also own a gaming website but our Wii section is rather small so that's why I'm here! With the help I've received here, I've been able to create an updated guide (with multiple links to GBAtemp :) ). I love how helpful you guys are here STILL with the old Wii. I would tag some of the members but wouldn't want to bother them but there are a number of you guys that have helped a ton even if you don't realize it. I had to go through my history of over 100 pages I've read through on GBAtemp to "like" the posts that I had found helpful while I been working on this Wii stuff for the last week or 2.

Just wanted to shout out to all you out there still kickin a** and taking names in the Wii world! It's a great console especially for kids. I think I need to look into the Wii U now. THANKS!

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm glad you found all the needed information here :)
I try to document and teach other users how their console is working, but I often get the same question over and over (why flashdrive is not working, hdd not detected, game not listed) because nobody read other user's question and solutions.
but I see you read a lot and got all you needed !

I thought it would be a question and I was ready to help you softmod or fix a brick ... and to my surprise it was just a thank you thread !

My nephew was not bad playing Mario Kart wii at 4-5 years old. he likes everything with mario, even Mario and Luigi without reading anything, and doing the same new game over and over haha.
but I never showed him rail shooters, there's dead space if you want her to have nightmares :lol:
kids are precocious, but I'd never imagined they'd like zombies at 4. there are more kid friendly games, like carnival, wiisport, dora the explorer (my nephew like that game, I'd thought it was a girl thing), etc.

now he is 8 years old, he likes Donkey kong.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: slaphappygamer

AzzidReign

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad you found all the needed information here :)
I try to document and teach other users how their console is working, but I often get the same question over and over (why flashdrive is not working, hdd not detected, game not listed) because nobody read other user's question and solutions.
but I see you read a lot and got all you needed !
Yeah, I was going to tag you because you are a machine! Thank you for all your posts (so yes, some people actually read them and it helps them with the questions they have so they don't end up posting the same questions over and over lol)! I did post in the noobie thread yesterday with one last question I had but I think I'll be able to fix it tonight. Part of my issue was that my computer at home was giving me hell about running ModMii but I'm able to run it on my computer. I think I need to change my IOS250 to [57] (iirc) from [36] in order to get my SSMB to work.
I thought it would be a question and I was ready to help you softmod or fix a brick ... and to my surprise it was just a thank you thread !
lol with all my searching I've done, I can see how you would come to that conclusion. In fact, I did make mention I own/run another major modding site but it deals mostly with Xbox...and we are really big in the GTA V modding and glitching niche. While I don't do that stuff anymore (can't mod Xbox one so SOL with that...but I don't even own GTA V) and I have had to block users from PM'ing me so the only way to contact me is through profile messages. My hopes was that people could get help from others when they see the question but I swear, at least once a day I get people posting on my profile asking for GTA V money lobbies or something. So much so that I've put my custom title to say that I only do the GTA modded lobbies if I'm paid $100,000. And it still hasn't deterred people from commenting on my profile asking for them lol They see I'm the administrator and assume I do them lol I don't think I have a single post in that section!!! So yeah...I know exactly what you mean which is why I try not to do that on any sites. It takes me at least a week before I go and ask a question...which I think is part of this younger generations issues. They want instant gratification, which is how the facebook groups work and how they expect forums to work. "Oh, you have a sticky thread, 500 other threads with the same exact title, but I want you to answer my question that has been answered over 9000 times already because it's too much trouble for me to look at the sticky or the other 500 threads with the same title."

/rant :P
My nephew was not bad playing Mario Kart wii at 4-5 years old. he likes everything with mario, even Mario and Luigi without reading anything, and doing the same new game over and over haha.
but I never showed him rail shooters, there's dead space if you want her to have nightmares :lol:
kids are precocious, but I'd never imagined they'd like zombies at 4. there are more kid friendly games, like carnival, wiisport, dora the explorer (my nephew like that game, I'd thought it was a girl thing), etc.

now he is 8 years old, he likes Donkey kong.
Yeah, I have Dead Space and Ghost Squad (was more for me than her but...she likes the shooting games as she seems to understand the controls for it better)...haven't played Dead Space with her tho ;) And I have no idea where she got her fascination with the Zombies because I didn't tell her I had the game. I asked her what she wanted to play, thinking it would be driving or one of her barbie games or something and she said "ZOMBIE". :o So I loaded it up thinking she would get scared and we would be done...nope...she wanted to keep playing! I was shocked lol

I'll have to look into Dora for her. I do have the Wii Sports and Sports Resort but I tried showing her those games and she just wasn't interested in them at all. Even the Barbie game she was like "This is boring" LOL (I agreed). These games that I would think are for young kids have way too much story line and reading to it, which is why I think she likes the Zombies bc you just shoot em!! No need to read, just play!

So again, like I mentioned in the OP, I was going to tag you and a few others for your continued support in the Wii modding world. It helped this guy who came back to it nearly 10 years after initially doing it. Your posts have been some of the most informative and helpful. I greatly appreciate it! Keep up the wonderful work (yes, people read your stuff!).

Reactions: Cyan

AzzidReign

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cyan
Again, thanks for all your knowledge. I plan on reading your Wii Hacking Explained guide (I would link for any other noobs out there that find this thread but I don't think I can still - on my site we do the same thing BUT we created a separate BB CODE that worked for "newbies" to link to threads without the spam buster kicking in).

And thanks to @XFlak for creating ModMii, it made getting all the proper IOS's installed and now SSBB loads! Now I have to go and look into Ocarina for some cheat codes so I can get my daughter set up with invincibility/God mode in these games lol Will make my life easier if I don't have to constantly click "Ok" or go through the menu's to start it up again for her.

THANK YOU GUYS!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The guide is not completed.
At least, what I want to do with it, it's far from complete. But the "how the console works" should be covered.
My goal was to create a guide to have a single place to find all "fixes" for common issues, instead of repeating the same thing every time to new users, or having users wanting to help but providing wrong suggestions and advices. everybody could rely on the guide instead of risking providing errors or spending time for nothing. I didn't had time to work on it foe 2 months, it's still at the idea level, with random roadmap to what I want to write.

Internal URL for newbies is a good idea :)

Reactions: AzzidReign

AzzidReign

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi @Cyan,

Sorry to bother you this way. I looked through the site rules, help pages, site suggestion stickies, etc. and didn't see much about how many posts until I can post on other people's profiles. In either case, I was hoping to contact Costello. I mentioned I own another large gaming site (not focused much on Nintendo...hence why I came here :P ), so I thought he and I could chat to see if we could improve each others services, if anything, just to bounce ideas off each other. I am apart of a private website for big board owners and wanted to see if he would like to be apart of it as we chat about things only site owners are concerned about (revenue generation, improved user experience, collaborating on addons a group of us want for the site thus bringing down our overhead on a modification, etc.). I've seen my site mentioned in the recent thread that Costello made about the ads and patreons and the user suggested a set up that we have but it's a custom addon so only I could set him up with it if he's interested. I'm also friends with a few other admins of big gaming sites so I think networking between all of us would be a great thing for all of our sites.

I'm on your Discord channel if he happens to use Discord. I scrolled through the online names and didn't see him there (I don't blame him lol I get a lot of people hitting me up for GTA mods!!!). Could you pass this message on to him and have him contact me through Discord? My tag is AzzidReign#5926.

Thanks (if you see this!).

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The wii is a fantastic kids console. I’ve played the legend of Zelda, through fcemu, with my daughter. She loves to look at maps, so she was my first choice for navigator. Yes, I still know where everything, in the first quest is, but I included her since she showed interest in map reading. We are slowly working through Luigi’s mansion through nintendont. Our youngest is 4 and when we play Mario kart, we let her “play” with the wheel accessory. She chooses the character and I race as them. She totally thinks she is playing. We all have fun. Glad to hear you’ve done your homework and have gotten all the info you need. Good on you! Won’t you stay a while.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: peepee