Hacking Get your Nintendo Switch Custom Themes here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I reopened this thread after cleaning all the attacks, whining, sarcasms and insulting messages.
This is Zahimi's theme request thread, if you don't like it just don't read it and leave it alone.

He is now sharing themes using the auto-theme link system.
if you want to download and install these themes to your console you'll have to extract the files from your own NAND and put them in your browser's cache using this page :
https://exelix11.github.io/SwitchThemeInjector/
Go to auto-theme tab and upload the corresponding files.

Once done, all you have to do is click on an auto-theme link to download the szs file for your switch.
for more help, and other theme sharing : https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-custom-themes-sharing-thread.522213/
Somehow your short post managed to help me understand how auto themes work much better than the long tutorial thread. Thx for that lol.

Reactions: OuahOuah

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
for everyone else who wants a better explanation, or never understood what auto-theme is:

auto-theme is a web-app (application run locally on your browser) to patch a user's provided szs with dds picture and, optionally, a json patch layout.
Auto-theme works by visiting the theme website, the dds and json can be linked in the URL : auto-theme_URL?type<type>&dds=<URL_dds>&layout=<URL_Json>

type defines which szs to patch (home, lock screen, settings, all games library)
dds is a direct link to a dds file
layout is a direct link to a json file

Example full url
Code:
https://exelix11.github.io/SwitchThemeInjector/autotheme.html?type=home&dds=https://gbatemp.net/download/gbatemp-theme.35263/download?version=35362&layout=https://gbatemp.net/download/gbatemp-theme.35263/download?version=35361

users creating a theme have to convert a picture to dds format, upload it and share the link.
the user who want that theme have to click on the link and the browser patch the original szs with the provided dds link, saving the patched szs to use on Switch.
But before being able to patch the original szs with the dds+layout, the end user has to extract its original szs file from his own console.

A lot of users don't bother doing that (dumping nand and using hactool is not easy) and prefer downloading pre-patched szs files.

exelix will release a new theme format today.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-custom-themes-sharing-thread.522213/page-3#post-8435590

but don't worry, auto-theme links are still working fine !
instead of generating szs, the Theming program will just generate nxtheme files.
instead of replacing szs in a layeredFS format (and you can have only one at a time), now you'll be able to have many nxthemes files on your SD card and switch themes easily with a theme installer NX homebrew :)
The szs patching will be done on the console, instead of being done in the browser.

so, the step is identical :
1)
auto-theme with dds+layout
OR
nxtheme file sharing (you can save nxtheme file directly from the program). nxtheme is just a dds+layout pack.

2)
user either direct download the nxtheme, OR use auto-theme link to get the nxtheme file.

3)
put the nxtheme on SD card
launch Theme installer NX homebrew and choose the nxtheme to install from all the nxtheme file list.

The change is on the user's end :
in order to apply the theme, they will have to extract their own unpatched szs file (like before), but instead of uploading them into the browser's cache they put them on SD.
but it's easy :

1) run lockpick to get keys
2) run theme extractor homebrew to get the nca file on SD card
3) run a program on PC to extract the szs from the nca (currently, nca extraction is not done on the switch. if you want to help contact Exelix)
4) put original szs on SD card to be used with theme installer homebrew.

no need to dump NAND anymore.

users who don't want to extract their szs or use nxtheme or auto-theme links will just continue to create/share/download pre-patched szs file for LayeredFS but :
1- it'll illegal to share here, sorry all links will be deleted.
2- you can only have one theme at a time on your SD card, while nxtheme allows you to switch themes on the fly without removing the card.

Last edited by Cyan,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
how to install/use themes?
Cyan literally explained above your post.
You have to use a CFW and put the folder with the long title id inside the titles folder of your CFW. For example sd:\atmosphere\titles\[hereTitleId]\

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ah, yeah, I missed that part.

themes are using the LayeredFS module of custom firmwares.
LayeredFS is a method to read files from SD card instead of the original file from the firmware or from the game. it allows people to mod games and firmware content on the fly, without patching internal files.

when using auto-theme, it patches the original szs file with the provided dds+layout file.
You copy the resulting szs file to your SD card where the CFW will find it and load it instead of the original using LayeredFS method.

With theme installer NX (release soon!), the szs patching will be done on your console instead of the browser. the patched szs file will be placed where it should for LayeredFS to find it.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: lordelan

zahimi

GBAtemp theme maker extraordinarie
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With theme installer NX (release soon!), the szs patching will be done on your console instead of the browser. the patched szs file will be placed where it should for LayeredFS to find it.

Will we still need to reboot to apply the theme?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
probably yes, if it's needed now it'll be needed again.
I think the file is stored in memory, and editing the szs on SD needs a reboot to load the new szs using layeredFS.

But I don't know, maybe exelix has a new way to force reloading it? we will see when it's released.

zahimi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A new Theme for the new game GRIS. Enjoy!
and where are the requests?
come on people tell me what you want!

Attachments

• capture (36).jpg
    capture (36).jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 137

zahimi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Warframe theme DONE!
sorry dudes i'm only doing switch games.
if you want something special just for you, you can donate and i will make you what ever you want.
really anything! you can even put a picture of your mom! :)

Attachments

• capture (37).jpg
    capture (37).jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 188

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
why wait for metroid to be released on switch to make a metroid prime 4 theme?
Metroidprime4_thumb.jpg

Metroid, samus Aran are part of Smash Ultimate too. it's already on Switch.

I don't know Gris. I'll check which game genre it is.

Also, nxThemes format is now available, you can upload that file instead of auto-theme links, it'll be easier :)
previous auto-theme links will still work, and generates nxthemes files without the need to upload szs to the site.

Last edited by Cyan,

zahimi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
why wait for metroid to be released on switch to make a metroid prime 4 theme?
Metroidprime4_thumb.jpg

Metroid, samus Aran are part of Smash Ultimate too. it's already on Switch.

I don't know Gris. I'll check which game genre it is.

Also, nxThemes format is now available, you can upload that file instead of auto-theme links, it'll be easier :)
previous auto-theme links will still work, and generates nxthemes files without the need to upload szs to the site.

is it 1 file for all the images and layouts? or file for every image?
i need to check it out.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

and i will look into making metroid theme. the problem may be no images and resources for a game that is not out yet. i will check.
edit: got the prime 4 logo and some images from smash. i will use these to make the theme. its on the way!

Last edited by zahimi,

FearItSelf23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My switch throws an error when booting after using the theme installer. 6.2 & sx2.4. Any ideas? I suppose I need to just delete the themes folder to actually boot now?

Powerful

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone make me a custom theme, I just want a true dark mode theme. Instead of how the switch would be grey, or white I would like it black like a true dark mode. Thanks

zahimi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone make me a custom theme, I just want a true dark mode theme. Instead of how the switch would be grey, or white I would like it black like a true dark mode. Thanks
Np I will make it for you sunday morning. No photoshop needed.
Just tell me what layout you want.

Last edited by zahimi,
Reactions: Powerful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night