Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah, lets all sign so we can mass pirate the games they produce
rolleyes.gif

My point being: most people would pirate the games anyway...

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This will be like selling a console because it was faulty only to buy it back in a much worse condition. Not saying they are bad, I mean they haven't released a bad game since being sold but they haven't released anything amazing since Conkers Bad Fur Day. Their games for the 360 are good, just nothing that is worth buying them for. Activision spent a shitload on getting Blizzard BUT while Blizzard take years to make one game, those games will make them millions, Rare's games I doubt even make a million.

I'd prefer it if Nintendo spent cash on getting new and fresh developers rather than a team who rely on going back to former glories all the time.

Just wait until Microsoft decide to not renew their contract when their next batch of games are disappointments or delayed for years. They'll go multi-format after that.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edhel said:
I thought this was a joke at first when I saw the title. Most of Rare's talent left by the time Microsoft bought them up anyway.

This. The only reason people want them in Nintendo's court is for their N64 library to be on the Virtual Console. I doubt they'll be producing anything close to their N64 masterpieces in the future. If anything, Nintendo should just hire up all the Rare big dogs who made the good games back in the day and start developing new games. Even then, Rare's games are "hardcore" games and everyone knows Nintendo doesn't give two shits about that, just catering to their fanbase (Zelda, Mario, etc) or to the casual crowd (Wii Sports, Wii Fit, etc).

And DKC was only on the VC because Nintendo still owned Donkey Kong, they just lent out his properties to Rare for the DKC games. The games are technically owned by Nintendo. I'm still surprised they didn't put DK64 on the VC, since I thought he was in a similar situation as DKC.

If anything, we can hope that the mysterious "Goldeneye 2010" is good.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Gaisuto said:
Scott-105 said:
As much as i would like Nintendo to have Rare it's not gonna happen. Nintendo sold Rare to Microsoft so, there probably won't be any Rare games on Wii. Ever.
The Donkey Kong Country games are on the Virtual Console. Those are Rare games.
smile.gif
But other then that, no there won't be any more.
Which makes me wonder... Why those, and not games like Donkey Kong 64? I can understand Conker's Bad Fur Day and Perfect Dark (after all Rare owns those characters) but they can't release that game on Xbox 360 or something...

I think it's a real shame Nintendo sold Rare. I especially liked their last games, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day and Star Fox Adventures. Grabbed By the Ghoulies was okay I guess, but not nearly as good as most Rare games. The Conker remake was good, but it was a remake. I haven't played their other games yet, but I don't think they'll ever get to that same level of awesomeness.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh why is anyone signing this is beyond me. You really have to be stupid to think this would even be in the slightest bit a good idea, and have no concept of the fact Nintendo never listens to online polls - ever, as with most companies. Buying up Rare essentially would be like buying a mint condition Ford Pinto for like $25000. You know the shit ain't worth it, and eventually it's going to blow up in your face eventually.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
killakk said:
Why did nintendo sell RARE?????????

Because they were costing them millions of dollars per quarter in losses with little return on it. Rare since they felt it right to drag out and delay game releases a good 1-2+ years they'd go exceptional periods with NO releases at all. All this time they had no money coming in and all money going out for operating costs and pay checks. To keep them in business basically allowing them to keep being wasters Nintendo would quarterly fork over large sums of cash into Rare's coffers to keep them running in hopes their next game would bring a great return. Unfortunately for Rare Conker didn't do it with it's 3 years of delays, neither did the mutilated Dino Planet as a Starfox game(I got to meddle with the real game at E3 2000.) Basically their slow releases and moderate sales towards the end compared to their huge movers in the early to mid era days of the N64 wasn't cutting it. Nintendo put feelers out there to sell them and various offers came in, but MS offered up hundreds of millions of dollars, and in the end far more than the next guy grossly overvaluing Rare's value. Nintendo instantly jumped at it and sold their majority share of Rare straight to MS. Ever since it has been the release of a couple Gamecube started projects (Kameo and Perfect Dark) that did ok but not super stellar, the lame Ghoulies, and so-so port/hd update to Conker, and some mix bag DS releases since.

Rare is not the Rare of the 1980s through mid/late 1990s...they are dead. Rare is not the rare you love, it's all new people and they suck. If you want to play games from those smart people they split off into various companies such as Zoonami and the crew who cooked up the Timesplitters series. Go play their stuff and see talent in action.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Vampire Hunter D said:
killakk said:
Why did nintendo sell RARE?????????

Because they were costing them millions of dollars per quarter in losses with little return on it. Rare since they felt it right to drag out and delay game releases a good 1-2+ years they'd go exceptional periods with NO releases at all. All this time they had no money coming in and all money going out for operating costs and pay checks. To keep them in business basically allowing them to keep being wasters Nintendo would quarterly fork over large sums of cash into Rare's coffers to keep them running in hopes their next game would bring a great return. Unfortunately for Rare Conker didn't do it with it's 3 years of delays, neither did the mutilated Dino Planet as a Starfox game(I got to meddle with the real game at E3 2000.) Basically their slow releases and moderate sales towards the end compared to their huge movers in the early to mid era days of the N64 wasn't cutting it. Nintendo put feelers out there to sell them and various offers came in, but MS offered up hundreds of millions of dollars, and in the end far more than the next guy grossly overvaluing Rare's value. Nintendo instantly jumped at it and sold their majority share of Rare straight to MS. Ever since it has been the release of a couple Gamecube started projects (Kameo and Perfect Dark) that did ok but not super stellar, the lame Ghoulies, and so-so port/hd update to Conker, and some mix bag DS releases since.

Rare is not the Rare of the 1980s through mid/late 1990s...they are dead. Rare is not the rare you love, it's all new people and they suck. If you want to play games from those smart people they split off into various companies such as Zoonami and the crew who cooked up the Timesplitters series. Go play their stuff and see talent in action.

Wel said!

At the time rare was sold to MS, rare wasn't anymore the better company for Nintendo, most ppl already had left rare by then, only a few stayd and the also left later on.
Rare now suxs, tell me one descent game rare released recent?

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Petition is not going to make Nintendo change their mind and buy Rare back for Nintendo. You go ahead but I am not sign it because it wont work!

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Yes a totally pointless exercise. A few here are trying to live in the past, the Rare of yesteryear were a great team, but like a few have stated in this thread, that same team are long gone.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
No!
Dear God, please no!
Rare is doing a much better job with Microsoft!
Nintendo would not allow Rare to do Stop and Swop with Banjo Kazooie,
Microsoft not only let them use Stop and Swap but also implemented it into Nuts n Bolts as well as XBLA releases of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie!
I mean, they even have Banjo-Kazooie as player charters in Sonic and Sega all star racing!

Screw Rare re-joining Nintendo, let Nintendo make their own NEW GAMES.
By NEW GAMES I do not mean New Super Mario Bros IV Wii-2. I mean games like MASS EFFECT > MASS EFFECT 2 where there is a sequel but the sequel plays differently form the prequel. A great Nintendo Example is ZELDA > LINK'S ADVENTURE (ZELDA II).

PS: Petitions don't mean crap to corporations, only $MONEY$.
More $MONEY$ than everyone on the board combined can afford.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse