Get a 2DS XL or 3DS XL

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by ehnoah, Aug 4, 2017.

1. ehnoah
    OP

ehnoah GBAtemp Fan

Oct 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    So here in Germany the difference is just 20-30 Bucks and I think to get a new DS since mine is Pokemon Banned. So no Unban for me.

So yeah, I heard 2DS "looks" Cheap and got no IPS (I think the Brightness is better on IPS no?)

So I can't really decide what to get, I feel the 2DS looks better to me also with the MicroSD Slot etc. but if the 3DS Feels better, I have no clue. What would you guess me?

And is there any games coming for 3DS? I only saw Pokemon and 2-3 other games, so the release list for 3DS looks very blank?

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    The 3DS is on its last legs, as Nintendo likely plans for the Nintendo Switch to be its successor. They are releasing new models like the N2DSXL as a way to get rid of spare parts. As you already mentioned, there aren't that many more 3DS games in the pipeline.
    • The N3DSXL is likely to be on system version 11.3 or lower when you get it, which makes installing B9S and CFW much easier.
    • A N2DSXL is going to be on 11.4, which makes installing B9S and CFW more difficult.
    For that reason alone, I would get the N3DSXL.

Out of curiosity, why haven't you unbanned your other 3DS?

Last edited by Lacius, Aug 4, 2017
  3. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    Personally, I'd go for the 3DS XL, but then I do use the 3D feature.

Two benefits I've heard about is the front Micro SD and the included AC adapter, but according to Stuart Ashen it does feel cheap and it's easy to block the speakers:

edit:

Another thing to consider is the potential for a price cut in the near future, especially if it's going to be discontinued and replaced with the Switch (which is inevitable at the current rate).

Last edited by tech3475, Aug 4, 2017
  4. ehnoah
    OP

ehnoah GBAtemp Fan

Oct 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    From what I know you cant unbann 022 Error. Only the 002 one.

5. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    The 002 error is the only one that affects online play. The 022 error only affects the eShop (which can be bypassed by removing your NNID from the system) and Miiverse (which nobody really cares about).

6. ehnoah
    OP

ehnoah GBAtemp Fan

Oct 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Dont you need a NNID linked to play Online?

7. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    No, you do not.

8. ehnoah
    OP

ehnoah GBAtemp Fan

Oct 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Worked indeed theough with 22 all lost Thanks for save my Money xD

Lacius likes this.
  9. THFourteen

THFourteen Member

Newcomer
    May 16, 2008
    It's a personal choice. I have both and currently am using my 2DS XL more as it's lightweight and comfortable but also I can just throw it in a pocket without a case and it seems reasonably scratch resistant too.

I never use 3D tho.

10. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    Nope
    Switch is not 3DS successor. It was announced some time ago.

11. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Nintendo also said the Switch wouldn't be a Wii U successor. They had every reason to lie then, which they did, and they have every reason to lie now, which they did. There are only two options:
    1. The Switch is a 3DS successor.
    2. A new soon-to-be released handheld will be a 3DS successor.
    There's no indication that #2 is true, and there's every indication that #1 is true.

12. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    I agree, but then again you have to realise that 3ds was Nintendos milking cow and Switch is nowhere near the sales of it.
    I am 99% sure they will release a proper 3ds successor.

Also Switch is very impractical due to the size and weight for carrying on train/on go where most of Japanese do their gaming time(hence the portability-convinience of all previous handhelds).
    True that, that very market segment is in decay due to the iPhones and gaming on them, but still a nice percentage of Japanese can be seen on the train playing their handhelds. And as you know, Japan is Nintendos main focus.

I really hope we see a ''3ds 2'' but who knows. Nintendo never was predictable :)

13. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    -snip- shit i just realized how old the op is . . . damn necrothreads

Last edited by wormdood, Aug 24, 2017
  14. SoslanVanWieren

SoslanVanWieren GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2017
    Australia
    They are putting a main series Pokemon on the switch so it sounds like it is a successor. Nintendo lie about some stuff.

15. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I just got the 2DS XL. The plastic feels very cheap, and the textured top seems to draw fingerprints like crazy. I have both the original o3DS, n3DS, o3DS XL...and the plastic feels lightweight in comparison to the chunky feel of the n3DS. I don't like the camera positioning...

16. RY0M43CH1Z3N

RY0M43CH1Z3N GBAtemp Regular

Aug 16, 2017
    Spain
    Caos
    The questions is: you want to pay more for 3D effect or not?

I preffer my N2DSXL because i don't use 3ds effect, is lightweight and i can install CFW and other things with r4i, and i preffer the ubication of the sd card and the slot for 3ds games are like more protected.

Me too. Is like you can scrape this with the tape close, isn't protected.

Last edited by RY0M43CH1Z3N, Aug 25, 2017