Genesis Flashback HD (2018) Game Manager

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by dcuk7, Jan 23, 2019.

1. rrifonas

rrifonas GBAtemp Regular

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    256MB RAM is enough to run games, but don't forget you need to load the all-games.ini in memory (and some apps can't handle large text files), the app needs to cache the box arts and you have the OS footprint (which is small since this is a Linux OS). Your clone MD with the everdrive doesn't need to do that :-)

You can have the whole no-intro set in the FB 2018, but I would recommend you to use the GAME folder instead, without the box art. I know that the GAME folder supports more than 100 pages without affect performance as it doesn't need to load all-games.ini and all the box art...

classicgamer1982 likes this.
  2. dcuk7
    OP

dcuk7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hello all,

New version 0.3.2 uploaded. Google Image search at last! Sorry it's taken so long!

Let me know how it goes and if you find any issues.

Hopefully a proper update checker with download will be in the next version. I wasn't happy with it in this version so for now it is the same as 0.3.1.

3. classicgamer1982

classicgamer1982 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 2, 2019
    Korea, North
    Awesome work, I started testing your new version last night works fine. Saves a bit of time with the Google Image search.

As for the Bulk All Games Maker app I can't get it work on the Flashback console, comes up with the title of the games but no cover just transparent background. ive tried it with about 50 games no luck. Everything shows up in games manager. The console won't run the game? I entered 1 game called "Dune" just to see. nothing.

4. dcuk7
    OP

dcuk7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I see that issue with the bulk tool. I have re-uploaded with a fix. Give that a try now.

I ran mine with the full no-intro romset and it is pretty unstable. As rrifonas said, with the limited RAM in the machine coupled with the fact that as you scroll though each page the menu app will cache each box art image, it quickly becomes unstable to the point of the menu crashing. I've found 350 to be a safe number. Anything over that risks slowing the machine down or crashing it. I may put a warning about this in the game manager app when the library becomes so large.

Last edited by dcuk7, May 14, 2019 at 12:16 AM
  5. esmith13

esmith13 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 19, 2006
    United States
    South Jersey
    Out of curiosity, what did the original version do wrong? was it the 'rom/' and not '/rom/' in the ini file?
    Also, is the same link from post #51 (May 5th) the way to download the fixed version? I tried that today and still can't get games or images to load.

Thanks again.

Last edited by esmith13, May 15, 2019 at 8:15 PM
  6. dcuk7
    OP

dcuk7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Yes it was the ROM path with the missing slash. Same link yes. If your ini file has the /rom/ in the path then you are using the fixed version.

7. JimMGS

JimMGS Newbie

Newcomer
    May 1, 2019
    United States
    Has anybody here tried using the Retrobit six button Genesis control pads with this? Do they work? They are officially licensed Sega products that look really good. I suspect that the atgames wireless controllers won't last forever...

8. dcuk7
    OP

dcuk7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I have the previous Retro-bit 6 button controller which is basically the same as the SEGA branded one and it works fine.

The only controllers that don't work with the flashback are the wireless 8bitdo ones.

JimMGS likes this.
  9. Mr_White

Mr_White Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2019
    United States
    @JimMGS I have the Retrobit Genesis 9-pin controllers and they work great on the ATGames Flashback

JimMGS likes this.
  10. JimMGS

JimMGS Newbie

Newcomer
    May 1, 2019
    United States
    I've got an interesting question. Can this run Sega SG-1000 games???