Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GBAtemp game of the week- week #9 Kururin GBA

This would be week #9 of the GBAtemp book game club and it looks like we are sticking with the puzzle theme for another week. If you are new to this series then the idea is every week a game, theme or some such is set and people then get to play it and discuss things about it. Although we always aim to make it enjoyable should a good mechanic (or an example of one falling short of the potential) appear then that could well make the club- top games lists are nothing new but if we can get people to have some more knowledge about gaming then that is great. Generally we will pick anything be it commercial, homebrew or otherwise from one of the systems we tend to cover around here.[/p]

Kururin series on the GBA

Mainly a Japan only series- the first GBA title appeared outside Japan but in Europe only in the middle of the 2001 mid year drought. Still the GBA sequel and the gamecube one (which was also Japan only) are simple enough to navigate if you do not know Japanese. Still those that played them would have found what are still considered one of the top GBA puzzle games.
The first title is known as "Kuru Kuru Kururin" and the GBA sequel is known as "Kururin Paradise" where the gamecube entry goes by "Kururin Squash".
The general idea of all the games is you pilot a spinning bar (a space ship of sorts) through mazes as you control time and seek things to alter the bar all the while attempting to avoid collisions with the walls. It features a 4 player link cable from one cartridge too and if you lack GBAs do remember VBAlink and VBA-m should be able to sort it for you.[/p]

kurukurukururingba.jpg
An old user review for GBAtemp

Some gameplay for the GBA sequel​
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07zUqTRQuPE[/youtube]​

Are we simply being distracted by pretty colours or is this an overlooked classic? Share your thoughts in the discussion.[/p]

discuss.png
Discuss

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&search_tags=gbagotw&search_app= should get you other links in this series

Aether

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Awesome game, I played it back in the GBA days. It's really an unique fun game.
smile.gif

Don't get distracted by all the colors!

shakirmoledina said:
if i am not mistaken there was also a rat title, moving rats to finsh. tht was also very good. a great game this looks to me

I bet you mean Chu Chu Rocket?

[youtube]eDvX9g-ROY8[/youtube]

Ben_j

Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
Ah, Kuru Kuru Kururin, one of my all time favorites ! One of the only game I've finished 100% (that was hardcore... Yes, I did finish all of the adventure levels with a Star ranking, and the last levels were suuuuuper hard). It brings back so many memories.
It's a shame they never released the sequel and the GameCube title outside of Japan...

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yeah, This game was super fun! I wish the sequel was released outside Japan as well.. but it was playable still... I remember playing it a lot.. I loved it
biggrin.gif

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I used to play a game which was almost identical to this, I'm not too sure it was on the GBA though, but it was basically the same thing ( move this rotating thing without touching the borders ) in a different setting.
I got the feeling it was an old 8-bit computer game.....
I'll think about it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Kuru kuru kururin is a great game.
I never played it a lot though, but if you never play it you should try it.

ChuChuRocket is great too. (I don't remember if I completed it or not).

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
I love Kuru Kuru Kururin... and just found out about Kururin Squash! for GameCube... and it's amazing too. Found a GameCube controler, and ordering a GC Memory Card just for this game alone.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
Kururin Paradise and Kurukuru Kuririn were great games!
smile.gif

I still listen to the music from them every now and them.

I also suggest having a look at Sabre Wulf for the GBA. It's a great puzzle platformer.

Oh and Chu Chu Rocket original soundtrack (the Atari one) is totally AMAZING!!!! http://rg.atari.org/chuchu.htm

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLdXfFsgvkE