Hardware GBA Original - backlit replacement screen

MTyler87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there, I've been wanting to backlight my partner's gameboy advance (original fat not sp) and I'm trying to get a brown tabbed screen since our gameboy requires a 40 pin connector and I'd like to avoid any screen issues when installing...

Are these screens the brown tabbed screen in question that I would have no issues with?

Screenshot 2020-01-21 at 08.19.30.png Screenshot 2020-01-21 at 08.19.40.png

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
The screen you have their is an IPS. It will work without any issues.
If you want original a Nintendo original then the 101 is the screen your after

White_Tab_AGS-101_LCD.jpg
White tab AGS 101 screen (after market screen)
Brown_Tab_AGS-101_LCD.jpg
Brown tab AGS 101 screen (Original Backlit SP screen)

Last edited by Cartmanuk,
Reactions: MTyler87

MTyler87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for getting back to me so soon and for the picture comparison. I have been looking for a 101 brown tabbed screen but all I can ever find are the white tabbed (UK here) which is quite frustrating because I've read about multiple issues using that on a motherboard that requires a 40 pin connection.

You don't have any idea where to get such a screen without butchering an old SP by chance?

Thanks!

- Michelle

EDIT: Oh I just took in that you said the screen would work without any issues, that's everything I need to know, thank you VERY much!

Last edited by MTyler87,

bitoriginal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just as an FYI, the white tab LCD works fine with a 40 pin if you use a type A cable and Gaggi's solution.

If you need links I can provide them but unfortunately it wont let me add them in my first post :(

It does require you to remove 5 components and solder a wire between two points on the board. This means you can calibrate the screen using the potentiometer to get it working perfectly, especially if you'e got a flash cart and the AGS Aging test rom which makes it super easy. It's definitely the best solution for the white tab but is way more work than the IPS, especially if you want to add a brightness sister board to change the brightness, which are available on eBay.

Personally, I think it's worth it because I think it looks way better than the IPS V2, but it is personal preference and requires quite a bit of additional work and skill with a soldering iron.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-