Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong place.
I'm looking to purchase a flash cart locally, I have the option between these two

http://www.xmods.co.za/nintendo/239...4-sltt-2-gba-flash-card-for-gba-nds-ndsl.html

http://www.xmods.co.za/memory-cards/3817-gbagbaspnds-new-ez-flash-iv-card-micro-sdsdhc-version.html

I know it's not ideal, but could you guys tell me which is better and if I'd run into any problems loading roms on there

Thanks in advance
The EZ-Flash Omega is actually the latest EZ-Flash GBA flashcart, it completely blows EZ-Flash IV out of the water. I have never actually bought anything from that website before so I am not sure what to tell you on that. I have however purchased flashcarts from 3ds-flashcard.com plenty of times, they ship from the USA so if you live in the USA you can get whatever you buy pretty quickly.

EZ-Flash Omega:
http://3ds-flashcard.com/home/74-ezflash-omeganew-gba-cart.html

I know the price is a bit high but it's worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: Andalitez

Andalitez

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The EZ-Flash Omega is actually the latest EZ-Flash GBA flashcart, it completely blows EZ-Flash IV out of the water. I have never actually bought anything from that website before so I am not sure what to tell you on that. I have however purchased flashcarts from 3ds-flashcard.com plenty of times, they ship from the USA so if you live in the USA you can get whatever you buy pretty quickly.

EZ-Flash Omega:
http://3ds-flashcard.com/home/74-ezflash-omeganew-gba-cart.html

I know the price is a bit high but it's worth it in my opinion.
Thanks for the reply.I will definitely check it out
Tbh I don't have a GBA yet.on the fence about getting one
Was weighing my options.

Perhaps I'll look at a 2DS. Do you know if brand new ones are hackable straight out of the box or do I have to search for one that can be?

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply.I will definitely check it out
Tbh I don't have a GBA yet.on the fence about getting one
Was weighing my options.

Perhaps I'll look at a 2DS. Do you know if brand new ones are hackable straight out of the box or do I have to search for one that can be?
2DS consoles used or new are hackable, as long as the console works that is all that really matters. As for finding a brand new 2DS (non-XL), yea good luck spending $300+ for one of those. Since those models are no longer in production anymore, people with sealed boxes have increased the prices. The only 3DS models in production now are the New 2DS XL's. Those go around for about $140-$165, pretty cheap versus the prices of the actual 3DS consoles.

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
always surpised how GBA flash cards STILL cost more then DS flashcards... must be tougher to manufacture and a specialized market

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
always surpised how GBA flash cards STILL cost more then DS flashcards... must be tougher to manufacture and a specialized market
Actually it's DS flashcards that are much cheaper than average :)

And it's not (mainly) supply and demand either, it's:

1- hard performance requirements (DS loads everything in memory first over an encrypted and relatively slow connection, GBA software runs directly from the card - and unlike a CD-based console, most if not all software was never designed to work from slower-than-official roms or dirty connectors)

When the GBA was current generation, memory (whether SRAM or NOR) fast enough and in sufficiently large sizes to fit most GBA games were uncompetitive luxury products not differently than a half-TB SD card is today (and even without speed patches, still required save patching, as they do today, because not all 3 types of save were implemented)

2- Research costs: my original R4 was about 25 € in mid 2008 (a time in which apparently every phone/videogame accessory seller in Italian electronics fairs sold them, you had to manually build YSMenu for updates - they mainly sold on former reputation, and R4SDHC clones were new), two years ago you could buy them for 5 € freeshipped from China and enjoy one of the best DS flashcard kernels ever...

Not much differently, the newest EZflashes and Everdrives are expensive, especially if bought new, but older GBA flashcards (which do most of the final result equally as good, just slower and less conveniently) are cheap... if you can find them!

"Modern" DS flashcards don't really count, the hardware hasn't changed at all since 2014 (unlike what r4isdhc.com may want you to believe) and probably didn't change significantly from the start of the decade either

3- The post-console age: in the mid 2000s, combining all your original games (and some more), plus NES games, "toys" (Pocket Physics and World of Sand anyone?), multimedia, and even some limited but serious productivity software (calendar, email, ...) for a medium-low 3-digit price was a huge deal;
if on the other hand you just wanted piracy... still a console and flashcard it was, as DS emulation sucked back then (even today it's still not that accurate...), and while GBA was decently playable on a contemporary laptop they were nowhere as cheap and portable, of course!

Nowadays, on the "what GBA model is your favorite" polls, you always have people only-these-days-not-completely-trolling with answers like "PSP", "Vita" and "3DS", and this is on forums where most people value good ergonomics: I wouldn't doubt that a non-negligible amount of people play Pokemon fine on a touchscreen...

But if you want the original experience (and/or that weird accessory), what are your options? Yup, console and flashcard!
(OK, this point was "supply and demand covered with an excuse" :P )

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think that it's mainly the cost of very fast storage.
Regarding the post by Ryccardo: the cheapest older generation GBA flashcarts you can find these days don't even support GBA games. They can load nds but lack the hardware to load GBA games due to the price.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans