GB/GBC/GBA roms

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by organized_chaos, May 26, 2010.

May 26, 2010

GB/GBC/GBA roms by organized_chaos at 11:26 PM (1,469 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. organized_chaos
    OP

Newcomer organized_chaos Newbie

United States
    Is it possible to emulate GB/GBC/GBA games on the DS without having a physical copy of the game? And if so is it possible to save the game using the in game save methods instead of the save states that most emulators use? For example, in Pokemon games you press start and save the game from there and then when you start it back up you get the menu that says Continue, New Game, Options (exit?). If this is possible with the DS and DSlite then which flash card thing should I get to do this?

One reason I'm interested in this is because my Pokemon: Blue Version that I've had since I was 8 won't fit in my sister's DS Lite... Like the game is just too big or the wrong shape or something. [​IMG]

I'm more of a PSP guy ( [​IMG] ) and this NDS hacking/homebrew is just a tiny bit different so I'm sorry if this all sounds a little noobish. I know what I'm asking for can't be done on the PSP which is why I'm asking about the NDS. NDS is more closely related to the Gameboy so I figure maybe it's possible.

2. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    You can emulate GB and GBC games with Lameboy, but to play GBA games you will need a iPlayer or a Supercard DSTWO. For more info on Lameboy, check the topic I made: 'List of the best emulators for the DS'.

3. organized_chaos
    OP

United States
    And will that allow me to avoid using save states and save using the ingame option instead?

4. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Lameboy supports both in-game saves and savestates. With in-game saving however, you MUST remember to write the updated save data to your *.sav file or else your progress will not be updated. This is accomplished either by manually pressing X after you save, or by going back to the rom menu, which automatically saves to the .sav file.

5. organized_chaos
    OP

United States
    Okay so I save in game and then go to the ROM menu and it will save to my .sav file. Then when I turn it on and launch the game I can click continue and it will load from the .save file? I seem to remember my game saving and then restarting after I beat the last 4-5 toughest trainers when I played Pokemon blue version 10 years ago and then it would put me in the starting town after that. That's not a problem with Lameboy? I just want to make sure before I spend my money on a flash cart as that would be the main reason I would want to mod the DS.

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Correct, as long as you update the *.sav file properly, the game's native saving mechanism will function exactly like it would on the real cartridge. I've personally beat Azure Dreams with Lameboy by using the game's built-in saving functionality the whole time, no savestates at all.

7. spark1223

Member spark1223 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    and you can emulate gameboy/color with PSP. I've done it. I don't remember what emulator I used, but I know it can be done. (and you do not have to use save states).

GBA games can defiantly be played on the PSP.

Of course, you need your PSP to be hacked to do these things.

8. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    too bad this is for DS,so your comment is useless [​IMG]

9. spark1223

Member spark1223 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Its not. The OP said he was more of a PSP guy. He said he didn't think this was possible on the PSP, maybe he'd rather run his GB/C games on the PSP.

10. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
  11. organized_chaos
    OP

United States
    Thank you for the replies! I remember using my PSP to play Gold or Crystal version of Pokemon and the in-game saves weren't saved after I exited the emulator and powered off my PSP. I just assumed that's how all emulators were. However, yesterday I was using the GBA emulator that I have now and decided to use the ingame save just to see if it would work. And it did! I must have just been using an incorrectly configured or incorrectly programmed emulator before.

I am still interested in getting a flash card for my sister's DS lite but I'm not in such a rush now that I got the PSP straightened out.

I like the community here, thanks for being so helpful towards me and not calling me a noob, stupid, or anything else like that. Also, for those who are wondering, yes there is a GB/GBC emulator for the PSP. There's also GBA and Nintendo DS emulators for the PSP.

Can I give you guys some +reputation or something like that on this website? Or do I need a certain number of posts before my +rep (if you have that here) will give you points?

12. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    There's no such thing as +rep on GBAtemp (for various reasons), so the only thing you can do is, if someone you know needs any help related to DS stuff (or just hacking in general), tell them about the people that helped you [​IMG]

Cheers!