Hacking Gateway payback?

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We all get it.....nothing is your fault...beta means not 100% complete......aka it may have bugs.....aka use at YOUR own risk....but this is pointless go do charge backs and bury your 3ds in the garden buy some flowers to lay down with the money

13/01/2014
We can reassure our users that our official (unmodified) Launcher firmware is free from any memory corruption and is 100% safe to use.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I used Beta drivers for my video card. If my video card bricked from the beta drivers. I would ask EVGA or nvidia to replace my card or my money back.
sure but it is the beta stuff that did it. not the actual card. should they replace it? sure.
if the beta drivers for your video card killed it, and the beta drivers are released by the company, and they do not say it is your responsibility etc, or warn you, then sure, they should replace it.

but that is different to the gateway situation. analogies are hard to use sometimes.
if gateway bricked the CARD, using the beta loader, then sure, get a replacement/refund. but this is not what has happened.

if they bricked your 3ds (which has happened), sure, ideally get gateway to fix it.

but getting a refund for the gateway being defective is not the issue, that's not what the problem is. the problem is not the card, the problem is the beta loader.
the beta loader is free. you did not pay for it. gateway fixing your bricked 3ds is the right thing for them to do, but it is different to refunding your gateway card because it 'doesn't work'.

i'm going to unsubscribe from this now, since this just seems to be going in circles

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
but it is the loader, the BETA loader. not the card. you paid for the card, you did not pay for the beta loader. is that not logic?
They paid for a product and service that I quote can "Play backup 3ds roms" So how do you do that without the loader. And with a loader thats bricking I'd say that's a major defect. is that not logic?

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Gateway promised you wouldn't brick with their product, so you have a right to send the card back and get the money back (if it's still in warranty, or if it even DOES have a warranty).
The launcher is the required software to use the product, so the "you didn't pay for it" is nonsense. If Apple bricked a computer (or even a device connected to the computer) with an OSX update, you'd be sure they would be sued and forced to pay customers back for it. But then again, we're talking about chinese companies here, so all of this might not apply.

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is the intended use of the device. It is not a service that is being paid for. If you buy a car, you are not buying a service that transports you from point a to point b. That is the intended use of the car. Please get your terms in order. You are just going to make yourself look uneducated if you insist that Gateway is selling you a service that allows you to play Roms.

A computer can be advertised as allowing you to play World of Warcraft. And if you subscribe to World of Warcraft, you can use it to play World of Warcraft. It does not mean that the manufacturer who sold you that computer is obligated to give you a service which gives you free access to World of Warcraft for free including a lifetime free internet connection and access to an account on the World of Warcraft servers. You bought a product, not a service.

So you paid $80 for a device that does what?

Punkrox

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wow that would be a huge blow.

I'm not sure that would be much help for the end user but it certainly would hit them where it matters most ($$$).

hiron

Trophies
XP
Country
sure but it is the beta stuff that did it. not the actual card. should they replace it? sure.
if the beta drivers for your video card killed it, and the beta drivers are released by the company, and they do not say it is your responsibility etc, or warn you, then sure, they should replace it.

but that is different to the gateway situation. analogies are hard to use sometimes.
if gateway bricked the CARD, using the beta loader, then sure, get a replacement/refund. but this is not what has happened.

if they bricked your 3ds (which has happened), sure, ideally get gateway to fix it.

but getting a refund for the gateway being defective is not the issue, that's not what the problem is. the problem is not the card, the problem is the beta loader.
the beta loader is free. you did not pay for it. gateway fixing your bricked 3ds is the right thing for them to do, but it is different to refunding your gateway card because it 'doesn't work'.

i'm going to unsubscribe from this now, since this just seems to be going in circles

So lets go back a few months......if GW sold their card without software. And they never released any software on their site then according to you people shouldnt complain? Because they have their card....software was never included in the price so they shouldnt whine right? I think you see that this is not logical at all.

By the way when you purchase something you also buy the support for it. Its not always physical only when you buy something. Software is part of the support.

xXMortalKombatXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
1. but most places i guess you can't just return the product, if it is not faulty.

and 2. you DID receive the product. if you are mean you were not promised it would come with bricking code, and you are contesting that... then lol good luck.
you don't buy the gateway with any of the loader files anyway right? you have to download them off their site.

you could get their address to return bricked consoles to, and send them hate mail or something, ha

I wonder what the cops will do with the person who stole from someone selling illegal goods

@edit: i said this on another topic and will repeat on this one for everyone complaining:

This is an underground market, they are selling a pirating device, there is no moral or ethic.

gateway doesn't give a <insert swearing word here> about everyone, they just want our cash, if you want it to be the other way around buy the original games

Reactions: Skelletonike

Rinth

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
If enough people return there Gateway 3DS. The Gateway team would be forced to release a free fix or resellers would refuse to keep selling there product.

The problem is that the brick is exceptionally rare, so there won't be many returnable GW 3DS in the first place.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The credit card company will notice the product you bought with their card is of dubious legality and dismiss your claim immediately. Next!

Um, no they will not. They will usually open an investigation and attempt to contact the retailer. If the retailer tells them the product is illegal or the company has a lot of complaints, they will most likely be suspended or blocked. It is in the retailers best interest to satisfy the customer because the credit card companies will likely hold them to whatever local laws and bank consumer protections the customer has in the location where their credit card is billed.

Reactions: justinkb

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately some people are just too determined to be a pirate.

It's not the piracy that drives them. It's the right to have all their games on one card. It's convenience. Rather than having many game carts to carry with you, and their protective cases... You just have one flash cart with your favorite games on it. (Multirom coming soon)

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not the piracy that drives them. It's the right to have all their games on one card. It's convenience. Rather than having many game carts to carry with you, and their protective cases... You just have one flash cart with your favorite games on it. (Multirom coming soon)
then buy digital releases...

Reactions: Skelletonike

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
then buy digital releases...

No, because the internal storage is too limited. And not every retail game has a digital download either. I also don't like how the purchased digital downloads aren't freely transferable between 3DS systems, so if I have more than one system, I'v have to buy it twice..? Fuck that noise. Anti-DRM Pirate for life here.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Um, no they will not. They will usually open an investigation and attempt to contact the retailer. If the retailer tells them the product is illegal or the company has a lot of complaints, they will most likely be suspended or blocked. It is in the retailers best interest to satisfy the customer because the credit card companies will likely hold them to whatever local laws and bank consumer protections the customer has in the location where their credit card is billed.
And then report both sides....except gateway are nowhere to be seen to face the consequences XD

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
You wouldn't get gateway blocked you would get a reseller blocked if anything, and I'm sure banks have some sort of protocol for having to report people buying illegal stuff......probs turn a blind eye most of the time but if it's highlighted to them......who knows

But whatever this whole topic is stupid to begin with

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

I'm hoping that was sarcasm. X.x

If not, would you swear by your honour that you own all said games in the flashcard?
Seriously... People that actually use that excuse are saying complete and utter bullshit!

When I used to pirate I certainly didn't own the games I downloaded. As for internal memory... My 3DS has a 32GB card and I have no issues with space, currently I have over 20 digital 3DS games... although I prefer carrying buying retail, so I always carry two of those Nintendo 3DS cases for 18 cartridges that you could get with stars on their website

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol