Hacking GateWay Mode VS Classic Mode

Celebrimbor360

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm new to GateWay but from what I read here, this is my understanding about the differences in the two modes. I hope someone can benefit from this and please point out anything inaccurate or missing.

As of GateWay 3.0.1

In GateWay Mode you can:
Must have red cart to boot
Play 3DS game roms in red cart
Install DevMenu and CIA games
Remove red cart after boot (only play CIA games)
Cannot play retail games
Update emunand

In Classic Mode you can:
Boot without red cart if FW<7, must have red cart to boot if higher
Play retail games (need to remove red cart first obviously) but saves in retail cart will be corrupted when played in non-gateway console
Cannot install DevMenu and CIA games
Cannot play 3DS game roms in red cart
Update emunand

So unless you want to play retail games on gateway or update emunand without gateway, you can ignore classic mode and do everything in gateway mode right?

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
The gateway cart requirement doesn't change for classic or gateway mode.

More or less, the blanket difference is gateway mode is "cfw" mode. You can run the gateway cart and other unsigned code (like title manager, etc)

Classic mode is basically a sandboxed "higher firmware mode". It lets you play on games that require higher firmwares than 4.X. This way, you reserve your exploit. You can then play retail games and whatnot as it's intended to cater to these. No "cfw" nonsense, like unsigned title manager or gateway card menu stuff works though.

Celebrimbor360

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The gateway cart requirement doesn't change for classic or gateway mode.

More or less, the blanket difference is gateway mode is "cfw" mode. You can run the gateway cart and other unsigned code (like title manager, etc)

Classic mode is basically a sandboxed "higher firmware mode". It lets you play on games that require higher firmwares than 4.X. This way, you reserve your exploit. You can then play retail games and whatnot as it's intended to cater to these. No "cfw" nonsense, like unsigned title manager or gateway card menu stuff works though.

Yeah, I just read somewhere that says you can't update emunand in classic mode but I did this myself. And I can boot 4.x classic even when my gateway was in mail yesterday. I think it needs a bit clarification.

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
GW/Classic mode has no bearing on cart requirement. It has to do with the version of Gateway itself. I'm fairly certain any launcher that is past the FPGA flash version requires the cart to run anything.

It's no surprise you can boot 4.X classic without the cart as things stand.

I've never heard that you can't update emuNAND in classic mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: shit like goku mui and beerus and other dbs stuff lmao