Gateway, .CIA, and online.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Puppy_Washer, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Puppy_Washer
    OP

Puppy_Washer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2009
    Sydney
    Hey guys, what's the deal with .CIA files and playing online?
    I understand that .3dz files are for .3ds files that have a legitimate header, but what about .CIA?

From what I've read, .CIA files can be used online, but I've found no mention of header replacement with them.

Are all .CIA files online compatible? Or only some? How do I tell?

Thanks in advance.

2. NutellaSwirl

NutellaSwirl GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Canada
    Cia files use your machine's headers

Zeffy likes this.
  3. serenade.63

serenade.63 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    United States
    I've heard that there is a risk of being banned when using a scene dump of a .3DZ rom to go online. A cia file using the machines heading... does that mean that there is no risk of being banned? Or is it roughly the same?

4. Venseer

Venseer A weapon to surpass Metal Gear

Dec 12, 2013
    Brazil
    Kennedy Space Center
    Don't quote me on this, but I think CIA play as the same as a downloaded game from eShop installed in a SD card, those probably use machine headers too.

Zeffy likes this.
  5. serenade.63

serenade.63 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    United States
    Ok, assuming this is true, does that mean it is impossible for nintendo to trace? Like if you use a .3DZ online at the same time as someone else that uses the .3DZ online I've heard that there is a chance of a ban from the nintendo network.

6. Puppy_Washer
    OP

Puppy_Washer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2009
    Sydney
    Can anyone else back this up? If this is true, then all .CIA files are online compatible.
    However, this raises another question. What about .3DS/.3DZ files that have been converted into .CIA files? Do these require headers?

7. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Let me quote you on that. :)

That is my understanding as well.

Also, there have been no reports of N banning people for GW, that does not mean it is impossible or they don't know exactly what is going on and can do so whenever they want.

I can't speak to the machine headers but cia files do not need headers to go online. Provided of course it is an online game. :). (Some moron is going to read this and get the bright idea he can magically turn a game into online play by making it a cia)