Hacking Gateway and EmuNAND Help Needed

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could really use some help with this...

I was trying to create EmuNAND and ran into a bunch of problems, eventually had to restore my SysNAND. When I did that, I noticed that I had an emunand somehow. I booted into Gateway Mode by pressing down on system boot, system firmware had "gw3D" in front of system firmware string. Thing is, that emunand has none of the stuff my sysnand has. Do I really need EmuNAND? If I remove it, how do I go about doing it? Also, will I still have access to the following in just SysNAND:

- Luma/Luma Settings
- A9LH
- Gateway use
- Use SC DSTwo

I have heard that I don't need an EmuNAND and that there is a guide on here about how to remove it, but I cant seem to find that guide. Also, I have a few questions about EmuNAND removal:

- Will I lose A9LH?
- Will I be able to use Gateway in SysNAND?

Thoughts and help GREATLY needed and appreicated :)

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
You don't really need an emuNAND these days, but there's literally no reason to not use one. All the resentment towards gateway's emuNAND implementation stems mostly from the MUH FREE GAMEZ N HAX crew who think that companies that profit from compyright infringement is just wrong, while they sit ther3 playing their 3DS with 300 pirated CIA games from freeshop.... Try and make sense of that :wacko:

Don't buy into it, emuNAND is an extra layer of protection keeping your precious sysNAND safe and the only reason to not use it would be if your SD card is too small and you absolutely need the extra 1 GB partition used for the emuNAND.

If you do want to get rid of it however, you will need to backup the SD card contents and re-partition your SD card with a PC utility (formatting in windows doesn't remove it) i'm making the assumption that the emuNAND doesn't have any CIAs or save data inside it since you're a gateway user.

Gateway automatically boots to sysNAND if there is no emuNAND partition detected (you can check this by entering the rom selection OSD, it will say SYSNAND at the top)

As long as your using luma as the base CFW and chainloading Gateway 3DS (by holding down the assigned button for the GW payload during boot) you'll never lose A9LH and additionally, you're free to update the sysNAND via the settings menu in LUMA MODE ONLY, NOT GATEWAY!!!

Read that last part and embed it into your brain: NEVER UPDATE OR MODIFY your sysNAND in gateway mode EVER, or you will brick, gateways launcher.dat doesn't have the same firmware protections as Luma does.

I hope that answered your question :)

Last edited by Deleted member 333767,
Reactions: TheShadowRunner

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't really need an emuNAND these days, but there's literally no reason to not use one. All the resentment towards gateway's emuNAND implementation stems mostly from the MUH FREE GAMEZ N HAX crew who think that companies that profit from compyright infringement is just wrong, while they sit ther3 playing their 3DS with 300 pirated CIA games from freeshop.... Try and make sense of that :wacko:

Don't buy into it, emuNAND is an extra layer of protection keeping your precious sysNAND safe and the only reason to not use it would be if your SD card is too small and you absolutely need the extra 1 GB partition used for the emuNAND.

If you do want to get rid of it however, you will need to backup the SD card contents and re-partition your SD card with a PC utility (formatting in windows doesn't remove it) i'm making the assumption that the emuNAND doesn't have any CIAs or save data inside it since you're a gateway user.

Gateway automatically boots to sysNAND if there is no emuNAND partition detected (you can check this by entering the rom selection OSD, it will say SYSNAND at the top)

As long as your using luma as the base CFW and chainloading Gateway 3DS (by holding down the assigned button for the GW payload during boot) you'll never lose A9LH and additionally, you're free to update the sysNAND via the settings menu in LUMA MODE ONLY, NOT GATEWAY!!!

Read that last part and embed it into your brain: NEVER UPDATE OR MODIFY your sysNAND in gateway mode EVER, or you will brick, gateways launcher.dat doesn't have the same firmware protections as Luma does.

I hope that answered your question :)

Ok, thanks so much!!
How do I go about re-partitioning my N3DS SD card? You said I need a PC utility. My laptop has Windows 10 on it. Walkthrough would be appreciated :)

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
Ok, thanks so much!!
How do I go about re-partitioning my N3DS SD card? You said I need a PC utility. My laptop has Windows 10 on it. Walkthrough would be appreciated :)

Umm, there's heaps of disk drive utilities out there, but the particular one i use is called "EaseUS Partition Master"

Download that first, then swing me a message over PM and i can walk you though it. I've got some spare time at the moment :)

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone please please help with removing emunand? I can't use easeUS as it is asking me to buy it when I tried to apply SD format options...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Use EmuNAND9 to remove your emuNAND. Use the SD Format Option with no emuNAND. Backup your SD card first.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, thanks. Will I still have access to A9LH and Luma and such in sysnand still?

Yes. Make a backup of your emuNAND first. And if you already formatted your sysNAND, restore your emuNAND backup to your sysNAND to get your stuff back.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Make a backup of your emuNAND first. And if you already formatted your sysNAND, restore your emuNAND backup to your sysNAND to get your stuff back.

Will I be able to use gateway in sysnand? When I boot gateway mode by pressing down on system boot, it boots to emunand. Also, after format in emunand9, I take out sd card and restore from computer, while system and emunand9 are still running?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will I be able to use gateway in sysnand? When I boot gateway mode by pressing down on system boot, it boots to emunand. Also, after format in emunand9, I take out sd card and restore from computer, while system and emunand9 are still running?

I don't know anything about Gateway, sorry.
1. Make backup of SD card
2. Open EmuNAND9
3. Choose SD Format option with no emuNAND
4. If there is an button to press to unmount your SD card after the process is complete, press that button and unmount it while the system and emuNAND9 are still open.
5. Restore SD card backup
6. Reboot system with the button it says to reboot with.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know anything about Gateway, sorry.
1. Make backup of SD card
2. Open EmuNAND9
3. Choose SD Format option with no emuNAND
4. If there is an button to press to unmount your SD card after the process is complete, press that button and unmount it while the system and emuNAND9 are still open.
5. Restore SD card backup
6. Reboot system with the button it says to reboot with.

I have nothing on my emunand, all of my stuff is on sysnand. Gateway boots to emunand, but none of my stuff is on emunand. I just don't want to lose following:

- A9LH
- Luma
- Gateway usage
- SC DSTWO usage

Help appreciated [emoji4][emoji4]

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have nothing on my emunand, all of my stuff is on sysnand. Gateway boots to emunand, but none of my stuff is on emunand. I just don't want to lose following:

- A9LH
- Luma
- Gateway usage
- SC DSTWO usage

Help appreciated [emoji4][emoji4]

You won't lose A9LH or Luma. Get that worry out of your head. I already told you that I know nothing of Gateway so I can't help you with that. If your sysNAND still has stuff on it, just get rid of your emuNAND, have some patience and wait for someone more knowledgeable to help you.

Reactions: Skeet1983

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte