Gateway + A9HL

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Pierpy89, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Pierpy89
    OP

Pierpy89 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2007
    Italy
    Hi guys,
    i return on 3ds hacking a long period of inactivity.
    I wish an help from you mates!
    Actual state:
    Last Gateway's launcher version.
    Emunand installed
    To-Be:
    CFW installed with no incompatibility with GW
    Some advice? There are differences between A9LH and A9LH's Gateway?
    I also read about a A9LH v2 that is incompatible with GW?

I'm very in open seas :S Let's help me to figure out!
    Thnx, appreciate your future answers!

2. el_gonz87

el_gonz87 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    What's the main things you like about gateway?

3. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Being able to use .3ds files, handy for trying out games you're not sure about; or if you don't care about online functionality. .3dz ROMs with a valid header have full online potential (and ban risk if you use a public header). Paired with a 128GB microSD card, that should be a cavernous amount of games. And gets around the apparent "300 max" title limit.

Clean and efficient cheat system.

Not *as* many positives as before A9LH was a thing, true; almost forgot about being able to run out-of-region games and homebrew relatively painlessly.

At least these are the positives I could think of off the top of my head. Not to mention, I'd you already have one, no reason not to try and keep the ability to use the Gateway 3ds cart while you still have it. :)

4. el_gonz87

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    I was mainly asking to recommend for the user what to do, if they are just interested in free games/HBL/region free then I would recommend ditching and just setting up Luma. However if they wanted to keep the cheat ability, I was going to point them to a more complicated guide which can run them jointly. Just trying to give them the simplest advice.

Not bashing on gateway today... *cough* *brickway* *cough* :evil:

Xiphiidae likes this.
  5. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Bashing Gateway at this point irks of immature, personally; without them, we wouldn't even have things as good as they are now. Their staff might still be stuck in the old ways mentality, but I blame that on bad business choices. Not necessarily a dig on their ability to work.

Credit where it's due, and all that.

Quantumcat and McWhiters9511 like this.
  6. el_gonz87

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    Like I said, no bashing here.

7. Pierpy89
    OP

Pierpy89 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2007
    Italy
    Hi guys! Thnx for the answers!

I like it because i pay it 80€ haha

Joking! I really like to push the consolle to their max, i like to mod them! So i wish to use all the ability of the new CFW and at the same the funcionality of Gateway!

I hope my english is good enough to communicate with this subject with you :)

8. TechyTurtle

TechyTurtle GBAtemp Regular

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    MY ASS!
    tell that to the rxtools haters thread

VinLark likes this.
  9. el_gonz87

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    That answers the question I was looking for. Follow the following guides in this order (READ BOTH FIRST):
    1) https://3ds.guide/
    2) https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/

10. Pierpy89
    OP

Pierpy89 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2007
    Italy
    Thank you!

Did you think can i have problem with future update of a9lh/CFW?

11. el_gonz87

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    Well there is always a risk, but with A9LH it's easy to restore to a point in time. (as long as you know what you are doing and don't brick the A9LH install)

When you complete the guide #1 you will have a 9.2 backup NAND (keep this)
    Then once you complete guide #2, backup your NAND and SD card.

You can use those to restore system if something breaks the gateway ability to work.

Be aware that a recent user bricked, because they may have accidentally updated in gateway mode the sysnand.
    Since GW doesn't offer firm protection this will brick an N3DS.

12. Pierpy89
    OP

Pierpy89 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2007
    Italy
    Seems a lot of work to do! :D

Btw the sysnand in gateway mode is as always the real nand right? If you enter in the configuration of the real nand you can spotted the different version name, right?

13. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    You will be able to see that your in luma sysnand (sys [version]) but I'm unsure if gateway changes the string in sysnand.

14. el_gonz87

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    I believe so, but I don't use GW myself, it can be tricky as depending on what you enter/exit you can be in SysNAND.

15. Pierpy89
    OP

Pierpy89 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2007
    Italy
    So I will not have anymore the original nand but the CFW replace entirely it?
    At the end i will have this CFW real nand and the "virtual" emunand, right?

I'm trying to figure out the thing before all the operation!

16. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    ir
    "PSA: Please Stop Using RXTools"? That is not a hating thread. It provides logical reason as to why people should stop using it.

As for Gateway, I absolutely hate them for their business decisions (bricking people, copypasting code and not even properly, etc.), but the GW itself does what it does, most of which now useless, considering free software can do it, and has better features and support. Still, some things such as the cheat system aren't quite as good on the free software side.

Regardless of that, A9LH + Luma and booting Gateway through it provides the user with both, if they already have a GW, might as well put it to use.

17. samiam144

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    You will have your original nand, it is just "protected" by using a combination of A9LH and a CFW that prevents A9LH from being removed when updating, such as Luma. Sadly, if you update your sysnand while in Gateway mode, you will lose A9LH, as Gateway provides no firm protection. So if you decide to get rid of your emunand, please keep this in mind. This is the main reason I still have an Emunand.

18. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    You seem confused.

CFW doesn't replace anything. It actually just patches things and then boots a NAND. With A9LH, you can safely do this on SysNAND (aka the actual NAND inside the 3DS). EmuNAND (aka Emulated NAND, though in reality it is a redirected NAND rather than an emulated one AFAIK). CFWs can boot to either, though only A9LH and a CFW like Luma3DS (which has the so called FIRM protection, to prevent system updates or whatever from removing A9LH) can safely use SysNAND (which most people nowadays do, as there's little reason to keep an EmuNAND/RedNAND for most).

19. Pierpy89
    OP

Pierpy89 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2007
    Italy
    Hi guys! At the end, I install all the things! Thanks to all!

Now i'm gonna try to have a boot manager when i turn on the o3DS!

I'm reading about Menuhax, is it worth to install?

el_gonz87 likes this.
  20. el_gonz87

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    You have A9LH, not necessary at this point. Get a boot manager, but you may have to debug some things with Luma.

Time to go play with some GodMode9 LOL JK!

Pierpy89 likes this.