Gateway 2.0

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Pokeman060, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Pokeman060
    OP

Pokeman060 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2013
    Canada
    Sorry for the noob question, but I don't really understand this 100%. Can someone please translate this into easier to understand words/ jot notes?

For example, in the release notes part, you could say something like:

- going into Gateway mode will make the system check if you have emuNAND and if you do have it, then it will make the system (temporarily) on that firmware (so you can play games that would require and update)
    - there is an option to go into a "Classic mode" that will let you play bought, physical, retail 3DS games (that would normally require and system update) without updating the system. So it will work like a 3DS on the latest Version/Firmware
    -
    -
    -
    etc.

^ Correct me if I was wrong and if I wasn't, can someone please translate the quote so it is easier to understand?

2. ninditsu

ninditsu GBAtemp Regular

May 17, 2009
    United States
    Strengthen your reading comprehension, this is good practice.

3. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Yes, very helpful...

There basically are 4 modes, in a sense.
    Gateway mode with EmuNAND
    Gateway mode without EmuNAND
    Classic mode with EmuNAND
    Classic mode without EmuNAND

If your Gateway detects an EmuNAND partition, it will load it up. Else it will load the 4.1-4.5 system NAND. The EmuNAND partition can be used to do things that would require you to have an updated system, like going on the eShop.
    Gateway mode is there to play ROMs, whereas Classic mode is there to play retail cartridges.

...I believe that's it. But someone more knowledgeable, feel free to correct me where I'm wrong.

RubenCantuVota likes this.
  4. Pokeman060
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2013
    Canada

What is the GUI menu system?

What is nand saving? What does it mean by FAT32 based multirom support? What is drag and drop in this context?

5. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    Gui (graphical user interface) is like a visual menu where you can select multiple options. This didn't exist before and would just put you in the patched Gateway mode automatically.

Nand saving means those 2 specific games use a special save system that other games don't and need additional hacking so that those games can be playable.

The only way to play games now is to write the 3DS as a raw file to an SD card. This means you can only have 1 rom on an SD card at a time. Right now they are working on making it so you can just copy the 3DS files to an SD card and have multiple on one card. That's what they mean by "drag-and-drop"

6. kenwa

kenwa Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2013
    Senegal

'the 2 known NAND based titles' which have the NAND saving feature are so far only Game Rom - Animal Crossing and Pokemon X/Y if I can add.

7. tatripp

tatripp GBAtemp Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    That's not cool. He doesn't understand because he is unfamiliar with technical terms. No one is bashing you for using a comma instead of a period or semicolon.

8. Schizoanalysis

Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Jun 23, 2009

There are benefits to self directed learning. It only takes a little time to google the terms and figure it out. If you spoon feed people, they will not learn how to teach themselves.

mr. fancypants and tatripp like this.
  9. Pokeman060
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2013
    Canada
    I thought that the 3DS ROMs go on the mircoSD card to be played. Did you mean microSD card when you said SD card?

So basically, drag-and-drop will allow multiple 3DS ROMs to be put on 1 microSD card and you will be able to play them all?

10. phanteon

phanteon GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    United States
    yes, that's why its called multi-rom support

11. Pokeman060
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2013
    Canada

When they say full support for firmware 7.1, does it mean that with emuNAND, you will be able to get firmware 7.1 while the system NAND is still 4.1-4.5? Or does it mean that a 3DS on firmware 7.1 will be able to use the Gateway 2.0?

Also, how do you get a hard backup copy of a 3DS's system NAND?

12. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    It means with emunand. You still have to be on 4.1-4.5 to start with.

Backup the system nand, you can can either use the Gateway's nand backup option (if you are 4.1-4.5), other than that, it's a hardware backup http://gbatemp.net/threads/nand-flash-dump-3ds-xl.350668/