Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, lately, I've been doing a lot of stuff on my PC with my Logitech G915 and the Logitech G900-whatever mouse that both outperform any other device in the wireless department that makes them great for PC gaming and work on a HTPC setup like what I'm rocking here. The only thing that's not quite "premium" about this arrangement...is my chair. It's comfortable to be sure, but there's times where I want to lean back like today due to me being tired and just wanting to get some shut eye without actually lying down and risk getting indigestion after eating/drinking something my stomach might have trouble with. And I'm trying to break free of the habit of drinking stuff like Mountain Dew to keep me awake on days where it's like I get some sleep, but not all of the sleep I need, you know?

Thing is, with chairs, you have to really sit in them and try them out to have an opinion of them. Not every chair is made for everyone, and when it comes to the DXRacer chairs (the ones with the head pillows on them), I just find myself wondering if they're all they're made out to be, as there's also the chairs made by Maxonomic. I'm sort of wondering if anyone has an opinion on these, and where the best place to be to try them out at.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you check out the review section and search for chairs, you should see a good few reviews.

There's been a reasonable range so hopefully they can be of some help for you!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dunno about gaming chairs. I use the same chair for my laptop as I do for gaming. most gaming chairs I've seen are inclined, with no legs. I guess it's supposed to feel comfortable like you're inclined on the floor, but that wouldn't work for my pc.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried a gaming chair with a head pillow and it definitely wasn't for me, probably just because I'm too tall though.
I couldn't put the pillow high enough without it falling off of the chair.
But other people love the head pillow so you're right def gotta try em out. Worst case you don't use the etra pillows

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Gaming chairs are so subjective imo that it's difficult to really tell if you'll like one without being able to sit in it.

That said, as Scarlet mentioned, we do have reviews up of various chairs that may at least give you a good idea of things like build quality and general comfort and things. I would definitely try and avoid cheapo chairs (like $100 or lower) because they'll fall apart on you fast, but I also probably wouldn't spend much more than like $300-$400 either for just a chair unless you plan on spending significant amounts of time in it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My general opinion is gaming is something they slap on office chairs to justify an extra $200 price bump, just like most times gaming is put onto something. About the only thing that is missing from most other things I see gamer on is some LEDs (possibly colour changing) and that is only because they can't find a way to wirelessly beam power to it and batteries don't last long enough. Instead the tacky nastiness seems to be someone got one of those programmable sewing machines and got it to put a name in the headrest.

With all these companies going pop then second hand business furniture should be nice and highly stocked, give or take everybody working from home and buying them up. You can get some very nice stuff in refurb business equipment places, indeed that is where I start any search for such things when I need one (usually about every 8 years for myself, and 12 hours a day is nothing unusual) but I kit out plenty of offices and workshops from such places more generally).

If you are feeling handy with some fabrication tools then many times when a chair dies it is the top part (though other times it is the seals on the cylinder so be aware of that one). This means you can find a chair bottom, visit a car scrap yard, rip out the fancy chair from some boy racer that parked their car up a tree* (or an otherwise comfortable commuter car -- that sort of thing you are expected to spend hours and hours in and still be comfortable) and cobble it together; if you are lucky might even just be a matter of a couple of lengths of metal with 8 holes drilled to fit bolts through to couple the chair underside to the base. Bit more fun if you also want the electrical movements and heating/cooling but often still nothing too drastic (more a matter of needs power, try to avoid the really fancy modern stuff that remembers settings between drivers). Could also come with a sweet back pocket to hold controllers or whatever like that which you want to hand.

*some places might consider it unsaleable if it has been crashed owing to the forces endured. However if you explain that it is for an office chair build then look who might be getting the "scrap - having not to pay to dump it" cost. There are likely plenty that just had too much wrong with the engine.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using one of these for a few months - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JJ848L8/

It's fine. As a 6'3", 280lb guy:

I wish the base was a little bit wider and heavier cushioned
I wish the arm rests moved forward and back, for when you're reclined
The slider mechanism for the foot rest seems weak (just ABS plastic and they even include a spare for if/when a slider breaks)
I also don't use the foot rest that frequently
The lumbar pillow seems to have deflated a bit, not the end of the world
I wish the neck pillow would naturally sit a little bit higher, if I'm leaning all the way back I have to adjust it up.
Overall construction is quite sturdy, as far as I've seen.

Like what Tom said, "gaming chairs are so subjective".

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I’ve never once liked office chairs. They feel really stiff and the seats are almost always uncomfortable.

So gaming chairs are a pretty cool alternative. I know I’ve reviewed a handful on here, including one that was over $1000. WAY too expensive for a chair, but it’s also not the kinda racer chair, and it is quite soft.

Most gaming chairs tend to be way too wide for my shoulders, because I think they skew towards tall, heavyset guys. I loved my Nobelchair (I reviewed it I want to say in 2019) but my only complaint was that it was too big. Definitely look into that one though, if you’ve got actual shoulders and are tall lol. Highly recommend. It’s not obnoxiously racer chair as the others, but also still VERY comfortable.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ve never once liked office chairs. They feel really stiff and the seats are almost always uncomfortable.

So gaming chairs are a pretty cool alternative. I know I’ve reviewed a handful on here, including one that was over $1000. WAY too expensive for a chair, but it’s also not the kinda racer chair, and it is quite soft.

Most gaming chairs tend to be way too wide for my shoulders, because I think they skew towards tall, heavyset guys. I loved my Nobelchair (I reviewed it I want to say in 2019) but my only complaint was that it was too big. Definitely look into that one though, if you’ve got actual shoulders and are tall lol. Highly recommend. It’s not obnoxiously racer chair as the others, but also still VERY comfortable.

I know this is asking 5 hours later on a post I already liked, but I have to ask what makes office chairs stiff in comparison to gaming chairs? And I don't mean those inflatable ones with speakers inside. Like, the OMEGA chair from Secretlabs and that Noblechair (or do they spell it Nobelchair? Also, all of their chairs aren't $1,000...right?) you mentioned.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
best-gaming-chair-out-there-no-need-to-leave-63370783.png

Couldn't resist :tpi:

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I know this is asking 5 hours later on a post I already liked, but I have to ask what makes office chairs stiff in comparison to gaming chairs? And I don't mean those inflatable ones with speakers inside. Like, the OMEGA chair from Secretlabs and that Noblechair (or do they spell it Nobelchair? Also, all of their chairs aren't $1,000...right?) you mentioned.
The seats never feel as padded. I’m really picky though, and I like to sit cross legged or curled up in a chair. So I’m an odd one out I assume.

(Nobel is in the ~500 range iirc, the $1,000 chair was LFGaming)

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The seats never feel as padded. I’m really picky though, and I like to sit cross legged or curled up in a chair. So I’m an odd one out I assume.

(Nobel is in the ~500 range iirc, the $1,000 chair was LFGaming)

I see. I'm kind of the same way when it comes to sitting on a chair...I also tend to, when using my PC at a desk like I'm kind of forced to atm (and probably should when typing like this in the first place anyways) kick my feet up...at the expense of my back if I maintain that position for too long, of course, but I love feeling like a boss at a desk!

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any recommendations in terms of good companies that produce, ergonomically sound chairs?

I got this one office chair just this last week from OfficeMax by Serta. I know, not a "gaming chair" per se, but it was comfortable, reached all the way to the back of my head, and I wouldn't mind sitting in it for the whole day, if by some miracle I didn't have to go use the restroom or something lol!

GregBjorg

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got this one office chair just this last week from OfficeMax by Serta. I know, not a "gaming chair" per se, but it was comfortable, reached all the way to the back of my head, and I wouldn't mind sitting in it for the whole day, if by some miracle I didn't have to go use the restroom or something lol!
Much obliged. I'll consider this option

Ricetomeetyou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always read that gaming chairs are shit and we're all marketing. I'd like to get a herman miller chair but I'm just using a 10 year old Staples "office chair".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse