Hacking GameTDB - game information database + covers

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Alright, since there's now a great GamerCard, but there's still a lack of WiiWare-Games, I guess it's time to bring this up:

Right now, WiiWare-Covers are custom-based, meaning they look like this:
WRUP.png
This has the disadvantages that they are custom, require much more work for the Uploaders, which is probably the reason that there aren't currently Covers for all WiiWare-Games.

Now, why don't we use the official ones from Ninty? Like this one?
STvuoc2xVf2NoP-4xA7vI7m09TPVKOvy.jpg
And with a magic overlay (and resizing by 1 Px, which should all be possible to do by the Website, looking that it even can make them 3D), you get this:
runner.png

and
runner1.png
The advantages are clear, it takes far less work to complete the WiiWare-Collection, and imo, they also look nice
smile.gif
. I'm not asking to remove the other covers, but to add a section for the official ones. NAND-Emu is coming, so maybe we should prepare for it
tongue.gif

What do you think, lustar?

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everytime I go on WiiTDB, I see brand new and very cool looking covers for VC, Homebrew and Wiiware games, but none of them are for NTSC Wii's.
frown.gif

zorglub07

OP
Trophies
Website
gametdb.com
XP
Country
France
Blue-K, about WiiWare covers, Kalidor is working hard making the PAL/FR versions, and he'll add them as "EN" when possible now.
There are a lot less WiiWare games than retail Wii games, so I'm confident we'll reach a nice completion rate soon.

jservs7 said:
Everytime I go on WiiTDB, I see brand new and very cool looking covers for VC, Homebrew and Wiiware games, but none of them are for NTSC Wii's.
frown.gif
Get in touch with Kalidor and Mamule on irc, abjects.net #tgames
We just need someone to work with them to make NTSC versions.

edit:
QUOTE(davidnlta @ Sep 2 2010, 12:56 AM) we really need coverfull for nhl 2k11 and ivy the kiwi they look so out of place on wiiflow lol
The NHL2K11 full cover is on the site now.

derekp99

Trophies
XP
Country
hi, any chance of full covers for the following games..... This would complete my collection nicely.

Play Gardens
It's My Circus
Circus R5QPGT
Fantastic Football Fan Party
Dance Party - Club Hits
Crazy Machines
Disney Sing It : Family Hits
Thomas Hero of the Rails
Disney Guilty Party
Great Party Games
Martian Panic
Princess Lillifees : Magic Fairy
Princess Isabella: A Witch's Curse

I would forever by in debt. Thanks, Derek.

luminalace

Trophies
XP
Country
I have tried to get an account at Wiitdb so I can upload more Australian covers for Wii games.

I have the (flat 2d) image of Metroid Other M and want to upload it to the site, 1 for contribution and 2 so the Wiitdb guys can make my image a 3d boxart too.

I'm on Wiitdb alot!

zorglub07

OP
Trophies
Website
gametdb.com
XP
Country
France
I didn't receive your email, please use the contact form again so I can add you.
You'll just have to upload the picture and the 3D version will be generated automatically.

Randamin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually scanned and sent to upload a high res cover for a gamecube
game called Road Trip Arcade Edition

I might actually scan Rig Racer 2 since a high res cover is needed

luminalace

Trophies
XP
Country
zorglub07 said:
I didn't receive your email, please use the contact form again so I can add you.
You'll just have to upload the picture and the 3D version will be generated automatically.

Ok sent request again. Thanks!

Update: I have uploaded many Aussie covers now. Hope you don't mind that I uploaded the same cover to multiple PAL versions of the game (eg. With more than one id).

cafevincent

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Why isn't there any of the reverse covers available to the New Play Control titles? As you know the normal front (that you have) is just an ugly advertisement to clarify that it's a gamecube port with new controls. When you check the reverse side of the sheet there is an actual full picture version that is the proper cover that fits in with all others. I find it deeply annoying that the "wrong" cover is always presented. I was shocked to see that not one of the "actual" covers is in your database. I'm sorry to say that is kind of ruins every coverflow loader when those terrible covers appear. Maybe someone could add them please?

Cherripez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got a few NTSC full cover requests.

Guilty Party
Ivy the Kiwi
Marble Saga
Sonic & Sega allstars racing
Sky Crawlers
Pikmin 2 (Pal)
PokePark (Pal)

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I can't be bothered to go through 67 pages to see if any1 else has mentioned this but when I use 'Configurable USB' to download covers - sometimes I get 'png invalid format' messages

Is there suppose to be a particular format/size the submitted png files should be in ???

Yod4z

Trophies
XP
Country
France
no particular size, WiiTDB website resize them automatically.

There's a problem on your SD card or on your loader, all the images on WiiTDB are in PNG format and all the same size

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Yod4z said:
There's a problem on your SD card or on your loader, all the images on WiiTDB are in PNG format and all the same size
Doubt it's the card - not only does it do other covers OK, I've even tried 2 different SD cards

I guess it must be something in 'Configurable USB' that causing the problem (unless it give that message if that particular cover doesn't exist) .... I think I'll have to look & see if I can which png's it is failing on (it does scroll pass @ quite a rate) & then checking to see if it exist on WiiTDB

djdavidm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How's everyone doing! I finished adding all the music play lists from all my singing games I own for the Wii! This may come in handy if someone wants to print the lists out for a Karaoke night! The Song lists are all in order how they are in the game! Hope this Helps! If any one needs any help or has any Questions! Hit me up Here!

zorglub07

OP
Trophies
Website
gametdb.com
XP
Country
France
cafevincent said:
Why isn't there any of the reverse covers available to the New Play Control titles?They are coming soon

CannonFoddr said:
I guess it must be something in 'Configurable USB' that causing the problem (unless it give that message if that particular cover doesn't exist) .... I think I'll have to look & see if I can which png's it is failing on (it does scroll pass @ quite a rate) & then checking to see if it exist on WiiTDBMaybe you have an older version of CFG Loader, this was a known issue but I think it was fixed a while ago (it possibly even didn't need a fix, maybe it was a url setting problem or a corrupted download)
Please tell me if you find the game ID.

QUOTE(djdavidm @ Sep 11 2010, 01:02 AM)
How's everyone doing! I finished adding all the music play lists from all my singing games I own for the Wii! This may come in handy if someone wants to print the lists out for a Karaoke night! The Song lists are all in order how they are in the game! Hope this Helps! If any one needs any help or has any Questions! Hit me up Here!
Thanks, it will certainly be nice for users to be able to display the track list before starting those games.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
zorglub07 said:
CannonFoddr said:
I guess it must be something in 'Configurable USB' that causing the problem (unless it give that message if that particular cover doesn't exist) .... I think I'll have to look & see if I can which png's it is failing on (it does scroll pass @ quite a rate) & then checking to see if it exist on WiiTDB
Maybe you have an older version of CFG Loader, this was a known issue but I think it was fixed a while ago (it possibly even didn't need a fix, maybe it was a url setting problem or a corrupted download)
Please tell me if you find the game ID.
Well the version of Configurable USB i have is 59a (the only 'newer' version are [Beta] which I don't really want to try out just yet)

The 'fault' seems to be when downloading 'full cover' png & not on any others.
On some of games that fail, I've found out that 'Full covers' don't exist on the Website - So I'm taking a guess that the 'fault' is in fact 'Missing cover'

Examples:
PokePark (RSAP)
Rabbids go Home (RGWX)
Alice In Wonderland (SALP)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock