[No Title]
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So, I come to GBAtemp for some opinions.
GameTap, through October 22, now offering $60 for one year plan ($5 a month).
Has semi-old PC games, Arcade games, Genesis, Game Gear, and some old stuff, like Atari. Full list at gametap.com. Multiplayer for some games.

Is it worth it? Does anybody here even know about GameTap?
Or would it just be better going with MAME, etc.
I'd figure GBAtemp would know best, because well...you know
tongue.gif

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh you didn't come here for the rambunctious parties or the dolfins with orange peeling capacities?

Gametap...sounds kinda dumb? Isn't it just a fancy emulator that you can play sonic the hedgehog and duke nukem on? oh wow cool.

i refer you to wikipedia...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gametap

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude I would totaly keep my money away from this rip off. They boast that they have "over 500 games". Whoo... I have 8,000 NES roms and I could go on and on about the rest of the roms I have for other systems. 500 games for 60 bucks, or millions for free... hmm...

phuzzz

Hooha!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It is worthy to note that Gametap will be offering the new Sam & Max game (episode one, refer to Telltale Games for details) some 2-odd weeks prior to when it would normally be released. If you decide to do the free trial run during the time of the release, you essencially get to play for free, as I understand it...

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it is not worth. If there are emulators and roms out there then do not use it but it is good for people who do not know anything about emulators and roms, I guess.

TmP_stryk

Still I Rise™
Trophies
Website
www.still-i-rise.com
XP
Country
United States
I tried it out for a bit - it has a nice gui.. What is nice is you dont have to fuss with different emulators and such. Everything works as it should in one click. If your lazy, this is a nice app to invest in for your emulator needs.

Vidikron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dude I would totaly keep my money away from this rip off. They boast that they have "over 500 games". Whoo... I have 8,000 NES roms and I could go on and on about the rest of the roms I have for other systems. 500 games for 60 bucks, or millions for free... hmm...

Yes, but be realistic. It's hardly fair to use piracy as a reason to call a legit and legal service a 'rip off'. I'm not saying I don't use emulators, but I'm not going to call a service like GameTap a rip off because there are illegal means to accomplish the same thing.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dude I would totaly keep my money away from this rip off. They boast that they have "over 500 games". Whoo... I have 8,000 NES roms and I could go on and on about the rest of the roms I have for other systems. 500 games for 60 bucks, or millions for free... hmm...

Yes, but be realistic. It's hardly fair to use piracy as a reason to call a legit and legal service a 'rip off'. I'm not saying I don't use emulators, but I'm not going to call a service like GameTap a rip off because there are illegal means to accomplish the same thing.

I agree. You can't possilbly compare Gametap with piracy lol. I think its worth it if you know nothing about emulation, which the VAST majority of pc users know nothing about. 60 bucks for an entire year is pretty damned reasonable IMO. But if you are willing to put up with all the different types emulators and lots of rom hunting, then I'd say spend that $60 on something useful lol.

Mikkelstorgaard

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd register right here and right now, but they have a very stupid policy about "how it's only for people in the United States."

Besides, I'm actually pretty sure that there's more than old games.
I'd love to pay 5 dollars each month if it meant I could (legally) play PoP and Splinter Cell when I wanted to.

GameGeezer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think services like Gametap are a good thing. We are still in the infancy of being on line at all and in the future services like gametap will be the normal way to get and play games via computers or consoles. As broadband continues to get faster companies will probably make sure that games are not fully downloadable in any form to assure people will continue to buy them. Piracy will continue but will most likely get much more difficult and expensive.

Once everyone is downloading game content online companies will have to figure out how continue to have cash flow without it being leached instantaneously by pirates.

I think it's a good idea but I hate the idea of another monthly bill.

Mikkelstorgaard

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I buy stuff from Steam, because it's easier and cheaper than using 1 hour on going from here to the store and back again, and furthermore I don't pay for packaging or distribution.
Everybody wins!

leetdood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I buy stuff from Steam, because it's easier and cheaper than using 1 hour on going from here to the store and back again, and furthermore I don't pay for packaging or distribution.
Everybody wins!

You do pay for distribution, just the electronic form of it. Just wanted to point that out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F