Games you wouldn't have played without recommendation

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are quite a few games that I probably never would have touched, had my friends not been nice enough to tell me,"YOU NEED THIS SHIT IN YOUR LIFE ;O;"
Had it not been for my skype friends, I'd have never played the TALES series.
Had it not been for my buddy Pokefloote, I probably would have never touched the Megami Tensei series (which I am now obsessed with.)
And had it not been for the 3DS recommended games section, I probably would have never picked up Fire Emblem Awakening (which I still regard as my 3DS game of the year.)

So what about y'all? Do y'all have any games or series that you probably never would have played had someone not talked you into it?

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of my games I get on recommendations from like reviews or friends so nothing in particular, I rarely buy a game on my own hype unless it's kinda in the pipeline for me (like Mass Effect 3 was natural after loving the first two).

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to say Kingdom Hearts. At first, I saw my brother playing KH2, and saw the disney characters. It automatically drove me away since I was never a fan of disney characters to begin with. But he let me play and since I like RPG's, I became drawn to the game.

Hmm...whats another...Sakura Samurai for 3DS. Although it was free for reaching gold status on Nintendo Club, judging from the look, you may have passed it on but its actually not too bad.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Believe it or not, my friend practically had to force me to play Half-Life. Couldn't thank him enough since.
Believe it or not, This.
Also Uninvited, Shadowgate, Out of this World, And Bettlejuice, thanks to my wife, who still owns the functioning NES They had when she was born, sans the flip-door.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get friend recommendations; I see something I like and I get it. I'm still trying to figure out which Resident Evil game to play, though. There're like three good ones? I also need to try Castlevania too...

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Monster Hunter, actually. I ended up playing a little during the PSP days, and holy hell, that is one hard game. It's like..every wrong move is punished by a great smacking.

I picked up MH3U on a friend's recommendation - because the learning curve is slightly toned down...but it's still fun to go back and whup monster's asses.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fire Emblem. My friend fangirls over Marth, and had just gotten the recently (at the time) translated FE for DS, so I decided to try it too.
Now i'm quite a fan of the series myself.

Can't really think of anything else.

I blame Ice , avran89 , and Chavo for making me buy MH >.>

Ouch you poor guy. If you'd like to have them killed, you know where to contact me. Friends don't make friends play MH.

I don't get friend recommendations; I see something I like and I get it. I'm still trying to figure out which Resident Evil game to play, though. There're like three good ones? I also need to try Castlevania too...

If there are three good ones, i'd like to know why they weren't released and instead the crappy RE games we have now were :unsure:

EDIT:

I guess TotalBiscuit counts. I play almost every damn game he WTF's and actually enjoys. My library grew exponentially since I started watching his videos because he makes shit look fun.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Persona series. He doesn't hang around anymore, but I can thank Geminisama for that one.

Pokemon. I was introduced to the show before the game, thought the show was retarded, so I was kind of skeptical when someone let me borrow their Red cart. I've been a closet poketard ever since.

Devin's lady introduced me to Final Fantasy XIV: ARR. Again, skeptical since the first version was a mess, so it as a surprise to me that they pretty much rebuilt it from the ground up. And did a kick ass job at that.

p1ng introduced me to Chivalry. Cool game, but not my cuppa.

The gamestop guy in 2002 telling me "Animal Crossing is like a Super Deformed Sims! Seriously give it a try" Addicted.

Random dude on AIM telling me about the Fallout series.

I can think of many more but I'm damn tired.

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Monster Hunter. I wouldn't even have known about it if my friend didn't tell me about it. My first Monster Hunter game was on the PSP. Now, I'm hooked on MH3U and waiting for MH4. :D

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sure as I will pretty much play anything (watch, listen or read too).
I will occasionally trade games with friends and rather than lack something to play they will toss something my way. Soul of the Samurai/Ronin Blade I traded for something and quite enjoyed that.

I never took games all that seriously either when I was younger and we mostly played whatever we had around (quite a bit thanks to second hand and the amiga, PC and PS1 being trivial to get copied games for).

I tend to pick things up when all is said and done and things are cheap (price wise it is seldom more than a moderate session in a pub and usually lasts about as long) and will have usually had my finger on the pulse of games (even if I subsequently do not play them).

I am going to have to think about this a bit more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sicklyboy, Hey