Games for Windows Live Shut down discussion

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Kouen Hasuki, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    With Games for Windows Live (or the herpes of the PC gaming master race) being finally taken round the back of the shed to be put down by Microsoft I started to wonder what that would mean for us.

as we all know some of these games kinda heavily rely on GFWL and some if you do not have a signed in login you cannot even Save your game!

Some Developers have moved to patch out Games for Windows Live in favor of Steamworks (Batman Arkham Asylum / City and Bioshock 2) but where does that leave others?

I am aware you can make a "Offline" profile but we are still left with games without there Multiplayer side of things.

I Started to look on my shelf and in my steam games list and noted a few that I was concerned that would never make a cross over. (It's worth noting before the normal DRM is bad crew get here, we know but at least these games should keep there base SP functionality)

I Started to note games from the likes of Activision and Sega and well yea not much hope there especially with the likes of Alpha Protocol since Obsidian Entertainment is no more.

Then the likes of the still popular Dead Rising 2... well Capcom published it so not holding much hope there.

I have actually stopped playing any and all GFWL games at the moment as with the Batman games all save data was lost, I don't fancy getting even more hours into Dark Souls to have all that lost

What do you all think of whats going down? What do you think will get patched over to Steamworks or maybe something the publisher would run themselves?

Let me know!

2. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

As valid as your concerns are, I'm afraid that this is the extent of "discussions" on GFWL.

3. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Considering several sites recently had dead rising 2 complete onsale, I would hope capcom wouldn't cap off their users experience like that and release a com-patibility patch for steamworks.

raulpica likes this.
  4. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    /me prays for Halo 2 with SteamWorks

5. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    I dunno. Microsoft's denial in the face of such evidence concerns me.

6. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Halo 2 on Steam, plz

7. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Yea I can agree with the Halo 2 one I got a Boxed copy for PC on my shelf that would love to be redeemed on steam

8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Halo 2 have dedicated servers now? IIRC, GFWL shut down their servers for Halo 2 like...a few months ago because there were so few playing (or that might have been a rumor, I dunno...)

In any case, don't care too much about GFWL shutting down since I only play like...1 or 2 games that use it.

Also, I'm fairly certain Dark Souls will be running off Steamworks, and your save file will work fine after GFWL shuts down (since you mentioned it).

9. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker

Right now its still fully GFWL and I think the Dev's are to busy with DS2 to worry about it but I can hope!

10. Dr. Ivo Robotnik

Dr. Ivo Robotnik All hail the Eggman Empire!

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2013
    Netherlands
    Egg Carrier
    Difficult to say for now, for me. Most of the GFWL games I've got have been safely patched over (the aforementioned Batman games and BioShock two, primarily), but it's a valid concern.

Still, thank heavens they finally shot this thing dead. :P

11. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I would love for Halo 2 to hit Steam to revitalize the playerbase...it's quite fun on PC (and i'm totally not saying that just because my K/D on it is like 20:1)

I think people greatly exaggerate how bad GFWL was. I never once had a single problem with it. I mean, boohoo some games made me wait 10 seconds to sign in, that's about all it ever did.
    GFWL was never a big deal, but of course everyone had to start bitching just because others were.

The only two online games I can even think that ran GFWL would be Shadowrun (which was damn fun but must be dead by now) and Halo 2.
    I can't name any other titles affected by the loss of GFWL

Sicklyboy likes this.
  12. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Heard some horror stories, but it never affected me.
    Only good thing to come out of the service was cross platform play, now I won't be able to play Blazblue via with friends on 360.

13. Ackis

Ackis Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2012
    Canada
    Is it possible to get back the GFWL versions of Batman/Bioshock/etc.? Service is still active until July, would love to finish off the achievements.

14. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    What you talkin' about Wallace? They are still about

15. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I have Batman Arkham Asylum and it's one of those GFWL which is weird seeing as I got it off of Steam. If worse comes to worse, I can always circumvent the DRM er, find a patch, yeah, that's the ticket. Glad this thing was finally shot dead, it was useless from the beginning.

16. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Well it's a step in the right direction. Now to get more developers working with OpenGL and porting their games to Linux and we're in business.