Gamers Have Control Over Their Nightmares

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Hadrian, May 25, 2010.

May 25, 2010
  1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Kinda interesting somewhat though no idea if its true.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/201005...msstudysuggests

2. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    I can't definitively prove that its related, but ever since I became a regular gamer about a decade ago, give or take, I have had a sharp decrease in nightmares. Those I do have I can generally manipulate in some form, and am more often than not at least partially aware that I'm sleeping.

Again, it may be purely circumstantial and unprovable as being related, but many if not all of the recurring nightmares I had all throughout my childhood no longer afflict me. If I had to pinpoint when that happened, I suspect it would be shortly after I purchased my first video game console.

On a semi-related note, many of my dreams (as opposed to my nightmares) contain aspects of whatever gaming trend I'm into at any given moment. Not long after becoming fascinated with Fallout 3, pre-release, I started dreaming about giant radscorpions.

Is there anything legitimate to the theory? Hard to say, but from my own experiences it seems to fit. My brain seems better able to control what occurs in my dreamscape.

3. Danny600kill

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    Since I started gaming I lost the memories of dreams, I only rarely remember them, this happened when I got the ps2, I had games before that but that was when I started to play a lot more. [​IMG]

4. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    hmm i cant speak from personal experience but i know that my brother does nothing but play games all day long and he frequently has nightmares and wakes up screaming...so maybe this is something that works for some people.

5. frogmyster3

Member frogmyster3 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    This is same with me. I used to have nightmares quite frequently so my mum bought me a 'dreamcatcher' which didn't seem to work but I'd also started playing on Pokemon which turned into a several hours a day thing. After that I've had virtually no nightmares and probably only one from the past couple of years that I can recall which made me wake up rather scared. Although if the experience from gaming thing had anything to do with it there is nothing in a game that resembled that particular nightmare which would explain why it got to me over all the others.

But I quite like that idea and it's a very interesting concept. Definitely a more sensible claim than that guy who says that playing games is the equivalent of snorting a line of coke.

6. worlok375

Member worlok375 GBAtemp's prince

United States
    Reminds me of the times I wake myself up when bored in a dream. [​IMG] Or when snow-cones (or throwing knives, swords etc.) randomly appear when I end up fighting something in a dream.

7. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Interesting read, I have no idea if it's all true but at least it seems to be so. Yesterday I had a nightmare but to be perfectly honest that was the first nightmare I have had in 3 years, at least the first I remember. Well, I don't remember what happened but I remember it was a nightmare. So, she might be right, and if so, we have a new Freud!

8. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    See its hard for me to know if being a gamer helps as I've been gaming for as long as I remember. There was a time where I wasn't playing games at all, I think I was 20 or so and I had horrid nightmares that only ended when the worst happened.

Modern day nightmares tend to be related my worst fears for my girlfriend and child and I'm usually able to solve problems in my dream. Interesting nonetheless.

9. Gore

Member Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I rarely dream (or if I do I forget them before I wake up) ayways

10. Supersonicmonk

Member Supersonicmonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I've been an avid gamer since I first got my Gameboy Original (which I still have in a shrine in my room with pokemon red, blue, green and yellow) and I have had about 5 dreams in total which I can remember in life. One of those I had recently and consisted of me asking mum if she had bought orange juice and she saying yes.

11. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I do this sometimes. Not often, but I love it when I do.

12. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    Whoah this actually happens to me! [​IMG]

Sometime's when
    I'm having a dream and it turns into a bad one, i can seem to control the dream...
    Heres an example: This dream i had last month was me running away from this no-faced people, i got trapped somewhere (presumably an allyway) and they were approaching. For some reason i could use my concious mind and make me turn supersaian, it was so weird. It's like you realize something is wrong and your concious kicks in and goes 'Oh hell no! Fuck this shit'

Man it's so fun when you can control your dream but i find that i can't control it that much; so i can't like warp the world around me or anything

13. gameboy13

Member gameboy13 Orange and fluffy since 1995.

United States
    I am an avid gamer, but I rarely dream. If I do, I usually forget them.

14. distorted.freque

Member distorted.freque I'm getting mixed signals here!

Canada
    I've dreamed 8-bit dreams before... >_> And I've also had dreams where I do a load and save. Sometimes, that in itself is a nightmare. xD LOL.

15. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

(I don't dream)

16. Santee

Member Santee Jalapeño

United States
    I barely remember my dreams and when I do they usually don't make any sense, but there was this one time in a nightmare I was being chased by a person who had a rocket launcher and kept missing after a while I decided that enough was enough and everything burst into flames and I woke up.

17. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    I was once able to control my nightmare. But this was a few years ago. I was being chased by some super powered villains. Then I realized I was dreaming so I took control of it.

All I got to say is
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Again, this was quite a long time ago. Since then I rarely have nightmares.

18. Porygon-X

Member Porygon-X GBAtemp Fan

China
    I can wake up from my nightmares at will, as long as I realize I'm dreaming. Usually if the nightmare is bad, I'll realize that sooner.

As for controlling nightmares, I've never actually tried that.

19. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    Gotta say it's a little reassuring to know I'm not the only gamer who doesn't dream (or can't remember them). It had crossed my mind that it may not be normal.

20. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    I have a nightmare about once a year, and I only dream about once a month anyway, and even then most of the time I don't remember it at all.