Hardware Gamepad Battery Bypass

AlexDG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So, I live in Argentina and my wii u's gamepad battery is dead
I can't get a replacement unless I import one which is impossible given the current state of the world
Is there any way to force the gamepad to turn on while charging without a battery? I've hard-moded some consoles before but not a wii u

dragon12

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I can't get a replacement unless I import one which is impossible given the current state of the world
Is there any way to force the gamepad to turn on while charging without a battery? I've hard-moded some consoles before but not a wii u
Same problem here. It seems it is not possible. This thread on reddit says you can play while plugged if you power on the console first and then remove the gamepad battery but it think you need a little charge for that (I didn't test it).

https://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/95j2cy/wii_u_gamepad_without_battery/

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have modded consoles, I assume you can solder a bit?

Carefully take the dead battery apart and save the circuit board (PCB).
You will need to solder two wires: One to - and one to +.

To be clear, these are the battery terminal on the battery side of the PCB (not the wires on the other side, which plug into the gamepad).
You can run USB 5v through the circuit board and then plug original battery connector into the gamepad. The gamepad will see a full battery because it sees the PCB.

I have done this trick on several mobile phones to make wired adapters.

If I had to do this mod, I would splice the red/black wires from the gamepad's AC adapter (more appropriate voltage, and you don't need AC power if the "battery's full").

Last edited by elk1007,

Nynrah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Hi AlexDG, have you tried the trick that elk1007 mentioned? I'm curious to hear if it worked. My WiiPad battery isn't dead yet, but I'd like to modify my WiiPad in the future as well since the battery will die and it'd be a downright shame if the limited lifespan of a battery would leave a perfectly fine Wii U as nothing more than e-waste.

Nynrah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That first fix looks useful. That's the kind of stuff we need to make sure our Wii U's can still be used even when batteries are no longer available. The one in the youtube video hardly looks like a fix; that's just using a battery at start-up and then remove it, which isn't a fix for the battery dillema.

Reactions: Moon164

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.