:D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A majority of 28% of the users say that they trust big review sites (ala gamespot, IGN) on their reviews.
Has gerstmann-gate been forgotten already? You can't trust these guys!

After that, it is my opinion that user reviews are the best.
Trusting nobody is stupid if you don't pirate -
"LOL DIS LOOK KOOL I BUY IT!!" *Goes home with 50 Cent game*
"WUT? CAMERA SUK, GAEM NO FUN!!" Too bad you didn't read a user review of the game, buddy, cause you would have avoided that purchase if you had.
User reviews present a biased view, to be sure, but there are so many that after reading around 2 or 3 you get a clear pic of how the game is and if you will like it or not. User reviews>>>all

What are your thoughts on this matter?

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
shadowboy said:
A majority of 28% of the users say that they trust big review sites (ala gamespot, IGN) on their reviews.
Has gerstmann-gate been forgotten already? You can't trust these guys!

After that, it is my opinion that user reviews are the best.
Trusting nobody is stupid if you don't pirate -
"LOL DIS LOOK KOOL I BUY IT!!" *Goes home with 50 Cent game*
"WUT? CAMERA SUK, GAEM NO FUN!!" Too bad you didn't read a user review of the game, buddy, cause you would have avoided that purchase if you had.
User reviews present a biased view, to be sure, but there are so many that after reading around 2 or 3 you get a clear pic of how the game is and if you will like it or not. User reviews>>>all

What are your thoughts on this matter?

You should pretty much know which game you want to buy beforehand and why you want to buy it.
Most of these kids have too much money to spend...

Though, I have to say... I haven't looked at a review in over a year.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, i know a kid that only buys games reviewed 8.7 or higher

but srsly, i don't understand why everyone complains about Gamefaqs, stop going to their forums

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
awdofgum said:
lol, i know a kid that only buys games reviewed 8.7 or higher

but srsly, i don't understand why everyone complains about Gamefaqs, stop going to their forums

Yeah. The Faqs are brilliant and the interface is nice and simple but the boards are just a horrible mess. I never bothered getting involved..

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only time I really pay attention to reviews is on things like the Dragon Quest game on the Wii where I discovered that I would wait for it to drop in price before buying it. I'll be watching scores for the upcoming Chocobo's Dungeon game on the Wii as well.

Puxel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't go to many forums, but I'm pretty close friends with the members at the ones I go to. If something looks good, they'll let me know. That's all I need.
No X out of 10s. No fanboyism. No sellouts.

shadowboy

:D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, yeah, the gamefaqs forums suck.
And I guess ultimately I should have been more clear on my final statement, cause it is true that
my opinion> my friends opinions> user reviews > destructiod, other real gamer run sites> gfaqs, ign, etc
But the thing is my and my friends opinions tend to be similar to those of other users.

Take pokemon mystery dungeon. Every reviewer gave it like 5. 90% of the user reviewers gave it like 8.5/10
Me and my friends still love it and play it.
Pro review sites tend to be biased toward Final Fantasy and GTA and other big games, so they screw over the great atlus games/ rougelikes (izuna, anyone?)

But then again, I hate tetris, so screw all the users giving it 10/10 and screw my friends going "lol itz good!" I ain't gonna buy it. So yeah, it is sort of a double edge if you know you hate a certain genre, but otherwise I have found user reviews to be much better than anything else. (especially sinse so few of my friends play games...)

P.S. Zero Punctuation rocks.

Artheido

Trophies
Website
artheido.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Not all of them =/ You have to remember, some GameFAQs members create walkthroughs and guides which some of us need and find extremely helpful. We can't generalize them because that'd be ungrateful
lecture.gif

Mars

Radioactive Propaganda Minister
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't really on reviews but rather their content. I ignore the scores, but read the review to see if the game will interest me.

Artheido

Trophies
Website
artheido.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Mars said:
I don't really on reviews but rather their content. I ignore the scores, but read the review to see if the game will interest me.

That's what I do. When I see a game that looks interesting I would first watch trailers and gameplay movies a long with a few screenshots. THEN I would see what features and gameplay mechanics it has by reading articles, reviews, hand-ons, previews etc.

I never think: 'They gave it a low rating so it must suck' since opinions vary and you never know if they're being too harsh or too nice.

P

pasc

Well... [gamefaqs style]*puts up flame shield* this forum isn't all that bad is it ? I mean you can get all you FAQZ needs fixed up and talk about cool stuff[/gamefaqs style]

NO, but seriously. It is ok, but sometimes if topics like this appear then you have to *cencored*

*facepalm*

Alerek

Trophies
Website
alerek.cjb.net
XP
Country
United States
GameFAQs boards went to shit when gamespot bought em. Go to a game-specific board on gamespot & gamefaqs, then compare the two. You'll see why they're terrible now.

GameFAQs is however great for user-written FAQs, what the site is mainly about. I've written a couple faqs for a few games, and I have a huge amount of respect for others that do the same. It takes alot of work to crank out a guide, especailly when you can't use pictures.

As far as reviews go, I've played games that sites/users both said were crap that I loved, and I've played games that have been revered that I hated. Its just like reading a book or watching a movie, you don't really know until you try it yourself. Hence, I rarely care about reviews at all.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Their boards aren't really that bad if you stay out of the mass moron bins and stick strictly to particular games, and luck improves greatly if it's not something stupid trendy like Pokemon, FF, Mario, etc. I've had quite a few good chats with players for instance in simulation game boards (sim city, anno 1701, etc) but also with stuff like pinball like the Williams Collection that just got popped out on Wii a few weeks back. Most of it is awful, easily said for sure as they never regulate the retards and are too subjective on punishment.

...as far as reviews go I'm more inclined to take a review from a non-triple A corporate backed site as they tend to be a bit more honest as they need to be to build a reputation, or because they have to buy the crap and if it sucks you'll know every damn reason why due to all the lost money on a steaming turd. That said though, same could be said if not moreso with gamer scores on stuff they had to buy if you care to read a few opinions.

Ultimately though I look at the overall averages, erase the top and low few, read/skim the others and look for common ass kisses and bitches about the game to see if it's worth a bother.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
shadowboy said:
Well, yeah, the gamefaqs forums suck.
And I guess ultimately I should have been more clear on my final statement, cause it is true that
my opinion> my friends opinions> user reviews > destructiod, other real gamer run sites> gfaqs, ign, etc
But the thing is my and my friends opinions tend to be similar to those of other users.

Take pokemon mystery dungeon. Every reviewer gave it like 5. 90% of the user reviewers gave it like 8.5/10
Me and my friends still love it and play it.
Pro review sites tend to be biased toward Final Fantasy and GTA and other big games, so they screw over the great atlus games/ rougelikes (izuna, anyone?)

But then again, I hate tetris, so screw all the users giving it 10/10 and screw my friends going "lol itz good!" I ain't gonna buy it. So yeah, it is sort of a double edge if you know you hate a certain genre, but otherwise I have found user reviews to be much better than anything else. (especially sinse so few of my friends play games...)

P.S. Zero Punctuation rocks.

IMO, for big games you can (most times) trust IGN, Gamespot, etc.. for smaller games.. best thing to do is to play it yourself and decide
tongue.gif

I don't read user reviews (not that I don't like it or think they are wrong.. I just don't read them), if I'm doubt about a game, I try to read opinions of people about it on forums like GBATemp (actually, only in gbatemp
tongue.gif
)

Kotaku has been reviewing some games lately and they've been doing a pretty good job, listing what they think is good and bad in the game, not just giving it a score. And they explain it nicely, why they think something is bad and good.. not like Gamespot that states something on a game as a bad thing and put the same thing as good on another
tongue.gif

PS. Yep, Zero Punctuation is excellent, he's able to point all the game flaws in a humorous way, and is not afraid to say what he thinks about the game.. only problem is that he focus too much on the bad side of the game, leaving the impression that the game is worse than it really is..

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
you just got to love the trolls on there lol but they do have a good retro forum though like gameboy n64 and so on, the next gen forums are where most of the trolls and fanboys hang out XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing fine, and you?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, happy birthday