Hacking Gamecube USB Loader possble?

gtfunding

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also the Dolphin emulator is primarily and has been first and foremost a GC emulator in the past.
A few of the very good SVN builds I have compiled are GC only and very fast even on one of the older PC's I ran them on.

Yes I own the games I used. So image how fast it could be if th code was trimmed and freed of the nonessential emulation bits and just run native.

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
gtfunding said:
Also the Dolphin emulator is primarily and has been first and foremost a GC emulator in the past.
A few of the very good SVN builds I have compiled are GC only and very fast even on one of the older PC's I ran them on.

Yes I own the games I used. So image how fast it could be if th code was trimmed and freed of the nonessential emulation bits and just run native.
Fast on a high speed x86 processor versus a PowerPC processor at a much, much lower speed.
It won't happen.

IxthusTiger

Cruddy's Buddy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If GCN Emulation ever gets off on the Wii, you could use the "please close the disc tray" screen as a sort of wii menu pause thing to get to the emu options without affecting GCN processor cycles.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gtfunding said:
Native mode means that there is not any Emulation of the processor. It would only allow access not emulate.

There is always going to be some emulation, whether it uses a dynarec from ppc to ppc & replaces the memory accesses to call functions. Or uses an MMU to trap accesses to certain addresses.
Both ways will slow down access to memory.

I'm not sure if the Wii has an MMU that would allow trapping the relevant addresses, but a big downside of using an MMU for this (apart from the overhead of taking an exception every time you load/store) is that if the gamecube also had an MMU that the games used then you need to emulate that as well. You can't let the game access it because it will overwrite what you want.

Hacking the gamecube mode is a much much easier way of getting what you want.

gtfunding

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank You to smf. That was a rather well thought out answer,
But at 789 vs 485 it may still work with creative optimization.
In all honesty I would love to see a custom MIOS that supports USB loading.

Does anyone remember Bleam on Dreamcast? those happen to be roughly same gen consoles and YET.....

The Dreamcast was able to actually emulate a subset of the PS1 instructions.

I am sure You can agree that the Wii is more powerful then the Dreamcast and shares a
more then passing similarity to the NGC (updated version).

And I actual ran dolphin (heavily optimized) on a 1.6 ghz intel system years ago.
That's a completely different architecture so it would need much less power on a Hollywood.
Also gamecube ports could be accessed in a native fashion with no interpretation.

I don't thing the MMU would chew up that much of the resources.

Does anyone have any rough approximations of the calculated resource use of said MMU's?
Does anyone have any real would data that could help, or specific calculations describing MMU resource usage they would like to share?

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
gtfunding said:
Thank You to smf. That was a rather well thought out answer,
But at 789 vs 485 it may still work with creative optimization.
In all honesty I would love to see a custom MIOS that supports USB loading.

Does anyone remember Bleam on Dreamcast? those happen to be roughly same gen consoles and YET.....

The Dreamcast was able to actually emulate a subset of the PS1 instructions.

I am sure You can agree that the Wii is more powerful then the Dreamcast and shares a
more then passing similarity to the NGC (updated version).

And I actual ran dolphin (heavily optimized) on a 1.6 ghz intel system years ago.
That's a completely different architecture so it would need much less power on a Hollywood.
Also gamecube ports could be accessed in a native fashion with no interpretation.

I don't thing the MMU would chew up that much of the resources.

Does anyone have any rough approximations of the calculated resource use of said MMU's?
Does anyone have any real would data that could help, or specific calculations describing MMU resource usage they would like to share?
It won't work.
No matter how much you slim it down, you're still dynamically recompiling the instructions - something which shouldn't be done because EVERYTHING IS ALREADY THERE AND USABLE.
The issue is finding a method to hijack the read and write calls so that we can (with minimal slowdown, or impact on memory availability, without manually sloshing through every single dol) point them to a non-existent USB I/O driver - essentially we need to recreate functionality of the Wii accessible easily only in Wii mode (basically, through a hypervisor) in direct access mode, while at the same time running code optimized to run on a slower processor of the same make - one option could be to manually patch the dol to force it to run at the correct speed with the processor running at full speed, but then we'd still have so many other issues like how to add in the required code without affecting the program, how to do this while managing memory so that we do not impact on the game, etc.

It's not a simple thing, and IF it is done, it'll be someone who is absolutely brilliant and knows the specific Wii hardware off by memory.

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
this thread should be closed already, we know it IS possible to make one, it is just hard.

Someone who is able to do it won't need any of those awesome ideas from gbatemp like running dolphin on the Wii to emulate GC .....

gtfunding

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your absolutely right it was a shot in the dark. I was hoping some brilliant person would read this and "prove" my "ignorance" by releasing something useful.
oh well all for not.
Sorry for the wind up.
smile.gif

I third the closing of the thread.
Thanks for all the input , Your all alright.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This thread had some nice discussion going on. Constructive and well-mannered (for the most part). Every thread out there should be like this!
tongue.gif

Since this is a pretty old thread and that probably the OP won't request its closing, I'll keep this thread open just in case someone wants to add something.
If it gets out of hand for any reason, I'll close it.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like this thread has been very helpful. I enjoyed reading this one. Now ill just sit tight and wait for a GC USB loader.

zantzue

Trophies
XP
Country
Here's the final version of my wodeflow "Gamecube USB Loader" theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJUJh9vzgt0. As far as I know, this is the closer we'll ever be from having a softmod Gamecube USB Loader for Wii (a modchip is required). Do you guys like it? If you think I can somehow improve its appearence, tell me. By the way, if you see any grammar mistakes in the video comments, let me know aswell. I'm still learning English! Hahahahaha.

godagarah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
try this site and get the Wii SD Card Adapter Gecko v2 it plugs right into the GameCube memory card slot so it is possible through the sd adapter in gamecube mode.
yaywii.gif
check it out! http://www.modsupplier.com/catalog/wii-acc...es-c-43_61.html
yaywii.gif

edit: all you have to do is sign up no pay pal no credit card is needed just where you live and other junk like that and free to sign up and every time you make a purchase you can put in your credit or debit card info

PS: Ships worldwide
yaywii.gif

popoffka

Trophies
Website
popoffka.ru
XP
Country
I'm sorry, but I haven't been following the Backup Loaders scene lately, so I don't really know what are you all talking about.
Is Gamecube USB loader really possible now?
Is it released? Who is the developer?
How does it actually work?

M tha MaN

Trophies
Website
www.psxtools.de
XP
Country
Germany
zantzue said:
Here's the final version of my wodeflow "Gamecube USB Loader" theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJUJh9vzgt0. As far as I know, this is the closer we'll ever be from having a softmod Gamecube USB Loader for Wii (a modchip is required). Do you guys like it? If you think I can somehow improve its appearence, tell me. By the way, if you see any grammar mistakes in the video comments, let me know aswell. I'm still learning English! Hahahahaha.

Is it just a theme?

It's really cool =)

godagarah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you a!@#e im not a spammer i just F!@#909g asked a question you retard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how the heck is that spamming with one post huh!!!! well!! huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! f@#$ you! a%# hole! I only asked if u could make a game cube mem card loader so suck it! so in. other words read posts before deleting them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

godagarah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh and ps: i didnt read the effing spam bot or the post after! so it was a reply to the thread in general dumb a#@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

sorry about the last two posts but i'm ticked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: if you dont want my help just tell me in a pm

and im not a spam booooooooooooottt!!!!!!!!!!!!! i take back my last post f$#@ you a a!@hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ]

edit : and im not talking about a usb loader you should have read my post before deleting it: its a mem card loader. somebody have the person's account deleted who reported me as spam!

(POSTS MERGED)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup