Gamecube, Freeloader, and Baten Kaitos question

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by Sumea, Apr 13, 2011.

Apr 13, 2011
  1. Sumea
    OP

Member Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Finland
    Well, I want to keep this short and sweet, hopefully I can get some kind of answer;

Basically, I was going through internet shops buying gamecube stuff - memory cards from Dealextreme... Controller(s), freeloader PAL, Killer 7 US GC from playasia - and then I was "hey, I could now check out baten kaitos, I hear that is great!"

So, I go, hunt a copy on ebay, US stuff is way cheaper than european versions, so I "buy it now" a good condition US version for 18€ - and then I went - "wait a sec... that was a multidisc game... So, I want to ask this:

Does any version of freeloader support switching discs in imported multi-disc games? (I suppose not)

Well, in this case, is baten katos one of those good games that ask you to save just before game disc change? If not, then I just keep the game on shelf, but it would be annoying to start play it one day, get to the point and then not be able to finish the game.

Thanks GBAtemp!

2. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    If you make it to the second disc on a session it should swap no problem. If you start the GC up and continue a session that uses the second disc that should work as well.

Basically I can't see why it wouldn't work with the freeloader.

3. Sumea
    OP

Finland
    So wait; freeloader is compatible with multidisc games too?
    I mean, if I play a session, I need to put the freeloader in, then the gamedisc (disc 1) - then I get to part disc changes, and it asks for second disc, and inserting the second disc (american to PAL cube) - and this does not pose a problem?

I was under impression it would - in any case, thank you! - I hope I can still get some clarification to this, if freeloader games can sustain multiple disc games, it would be kinda amazing... There is one game that I'd want and cannot get in PAL format, quite few games that are cheaper to get american version of, and even few japanese ones.

4. Sumea
    OP

Finland
    I reply to this thread in case someone else is interested. This is results I got with freeloader, and reasons why I thought this would not work:

Firstly, with PS2 and swapdisc, you need a special cover because PS2 detects the opened drive. Every time PS2 drive is opened and then closed, it verifies the disc being real, and will not read on if it detects the disc is not signed for sony. This also makes multidisc games hard on swapdisc, some games may need to detect the cover to be opened first, and then closed before you can press X or whatever for the next disc:

ON GAMECUBE:
    It seems gamecube checks only once, or that the freeloader fixes this permanently. If you try to put NTSC US game to PAL console, the logo stays as question mark (?), and console will stop the disc spinning.

I made a test by this way: I first took the US copy of baten kaitos I bought (because it was cheaper and easier to find than european one that costs much and is nowhere to be found). I put in Freeloader, swap, insert Disc 2 of baten kaitos, start the game. Then I push "new game" on main menu, a prompt comes up saying "insert Disc 1", I took disc 1 and put it in, works like it would, and started showing the game's opening scene.

So, yes, multidisc games with Freeloader: Works just like original. Also, as small info for other brothers to me with PAL console: If you have TV set that is not NTSC compatible, but PAL60 compatible (I actually have one such TV) - NTSC games with Freeloader PAL seem to run in PAL60 mode, so, that signal incompatibility is not going to be issue.

Also, REMEMBER THIS: FREELOADER, DOES, NOT, BOOT, BURNED GAMES. Only genuine copies of games, from any region.

Life is AWESOME.