GameCube controller on Wii Menu?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by NISMO_GTR, Aug 11, 2012.

Aug 11, 2012
  1. NISMO_GTR
    OP

Newcomer NISMO_GTR Member

Belgium
    Hi everyone,

Is there any sort of hack that allows you to use GameCube controller on the wii menu? I mainly use the wii for gamecube games and just hate having to find the pointer (just out lazyness mainly). It wouldnt be too much of a problem if I could use the d-pad to navigate the menu.

1 person likes this.
  2. Kyuubi

Newcomer Kyuubi Member

United States
    Some USB loaders, like USB Loader GX, have a menu that lets you run channels from the NAND, or even the disc inside the drive, and all of them support GameCube controllers. If you don't mind to use them instead of the original Wii menu, that might work. Otherwise, I don't think there is a hack for what you want (yet) :(

3. The_Dragons_Mast

Member The_Dragons_Mast GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    Nope no hack exist for that & from what I remeber it is too complex to do that I doubt any will ever come ,but you can use priiloader to autoboot to postloader or something similar that supports gc controller and boot your games from there .

4. ComeTurismO

Member ComeTurismO CTO

Canada
    I don't think so.. It doesn't exist?

5. Lucifer666

Member Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Antarctica
    Found this thread. Watch the video at the bottom. Unfortunately you can't really buy one of those, plus the Wii recognises it as a Classic Controller, so the controls wouldn't be the same and you'd have missing buttons.

6. NISMO_GTR
    OP

Newcomer NISMO_GTR Member

Belgium
    Thanks for replys everyone

I guess I will have to look into priiloader. So using this will skip the wii menu or somthing?

7. Lucifer666

Member Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Antarctica
    Install Priiloader and BootMii as boot2 (there are plenty of guides on here for that). BootMii will always load up when you turn on your Wii as long as your SD card is inserted, and from that you can just go straight to the Homebrew channel.

BootMii is also used to make NAND backups and whatnot.

Priiloader can enable hacks like muting the music on the Wii menu, playing games without updating, etc. They're both pretty handy. Oh but Priiloader will only load up if you hold reset right after turning the Wii on.

8. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    It could theoretically be done, via a memory patch e.g. Priiloader. But no one has done it.

EDIT: tueidj commented on the matter here: http://gbatemp.net/topic/312111-gc-controller-softmod-for-the-system-menu/page__view__findpost__p__3946087

Basically what he said was you need to patch SM to think that a classic controller is connected, and also patch it to read SI registers instead of the wiimote extension data (i.e. read what buttons are being pushed on GC controller instead of read what buttons are being pushed on classic controller)

9. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    never mind

10. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    that adapter is not what he asked, but the contrary (using any controller as a Classic one).

What he wants is using the gamecube controller without syncing the wiimote.

1 person likes this.
  11. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Something like that isn't much use, because you still need to have a wii remote to use that, and then have to switch the gc controller from that adapter to an actual gc port to play the game. Far LESS convenient than just using the wii remote to navigate the system menu.

EDIT: Beaten a bit by Cyan there...

EDIT: Fixed a typo arising from having typed with phone.

12. ouch123

Member ouch123 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is something I've wanted to do as well, in particular since I have a newer Wii that I couldn't install BootMii to.

13. W hat

Member W hat Rhythm Heaven Fan

United States
    Giantpune's system menu replacement has this feature. I can't remember its name.

14. SifJar

United Kingdom
    http://wiibrew.org/w...ystemMenuPlayer

Didn't notice it had that feature, that's cool.

EDIT: Trying it with Dolphin, it seems to work reasonably well.

EDIT: Hmm, further testing suggests it doesn't display/load installed channels. That's probably a deal breaker for most people I guess.

15. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Priiloader is what I use when I want to boot GC games without syncing the remote, but I don't go into homebrew channel, I just use Priiloader to launch neogamma and then start the GC games in there.

Sometimes, if I'm playing a Wii game I plan to control with the GC controller, I just do the same thing, only instead of neogamma, I use Priiloader to launch the usb loader.

16. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina