Gameboy Color cartridge... dead? :(

Chromatically

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ahoy,

I've recently bought a second hand Pokemon Crystal GBC copy. When it arrived it worked fine, but the saves didn't work. So, adventurous as I am, I opened up the cartridge and replaced the battery with a new one (I did this with my silver before, that worked fine). It seemed to me this was done before on this cart, but I am unsure.
I made sure the cartridge/battery didn't get too hot or anything, and I didn't touch anything else with the soldering iron than the battery contacts.

However, when I popped the cart back in my GBASP it shows the gameboy color and nintendo logo, but then it just shows a white screen. Oh teh noes!
I've removed the battery again (hence the meh soldering on the contacts) to check whether that was the problem, but it makes no difference.

Anyone any wisdom on how I *might* be able to fix the cart? I've uploaded pics of the cart, in case that might help.

Thanks in advance,
Niels

DSC01736.JPG

DSC01737.JPG

NicEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
I don't know if that is the problem but take some time to clean the solder pads. Those are some terrible blobs, they might be shorting PCB traces. Also make sure the battery is soldered with the right direction/polarity. You can also measure the battery using a multimeter/volt-meter to see if it still has sufficient energy to keep your save alive.

Chromatically

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
NicEXE,

Thank you for your reply.
I think the problem is not battery-related, or does the cartridge require a battery to run at all? I'm pretty sure I soldered the battery with the correct polarity, but I will check again.

Thanks again!

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
NicEXE,

Thank you for your reply.
I think the problem is not battery-related, or does the cartridge require a battery to run at all? I'm pretty sure I soldered the battery with the correct polarity, but I will check again.

Thanks again!

the game can run without a battery, it will just not save. like he said, clean that solder and check the game, the solder is in bad shape and can be shortcutting something...

Chromatically

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ahw yea!
I removed the soldering there (it wasn't soldered *on* there, just some solder scrap so I could just pick it up with tweezers).

I'd like to thank all of you for the help. I was sure it was bricked or something. Thanks!

(pics were taken with a 8 year old sony camera :D)

Reactions: redact and Ozito

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?