Game & Watch Panorama with damaged flex cable

johnyept

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have a Game & Watch Panorama (Donkey Kong Jr. CJ-93) since I was a kid, got it probably around 1988. The white flex cable with black stripes that is visible when the screen is closed is heavily scratched, right in the gap between the hinges, where the screen and the bottom part with the mirror join together. As a result, most of the images on the screen don't work. I might as well be honest, I did not take well care of my toys when I was a kid, and I'm pretty sure I was the one that scratched it, most probably on purpose, because, well... I was a kid.

Can the flex cables from these handhelds be replaced by a new one, probably custom made or modified to fit in it?

johnyept

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No reply, I guess either nobody had this problem, or never found a solution.
The original cables look like this: avaluer . org / explore / 9833054-game__watch_nintendo_ribbon_cable_multi_screen
Would flexible PCBs work as a replacement? hackaday . com / 2016 / 05 / 05 / designing-flat-flexible-pcbs /

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if you are able to replicate the exact pin distance you can choose whatever flat cable you desire; also check how the original flat cable is connected (soldered?glued such as in virtual boy?). Panoramas are expensive so your solution can be the good choice.

johnyept

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The flat cable is secured in place between the screen and a rubber pad, when the case screws are tightened it creates a slight pressure to help make contact. I know these type of cables are prone to failure due to their flexibility, I thought replicas in the same material or better material would be common by now, but I guess not.

I'll try to find some online or local store that can replicate them with newer material, but for now I'll try to use thin strips of conductive tape, it seems some owners have been successful in "repairing" their cables using this method, it won't look good at all but if it works it will have to do for now.

Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.