Game hacking

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Phratt, Apr 24, 2009.

Apr 24, 2009

Game hacking by Phratt at 2:22 AM (929 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Phratt
    OP

Member Phratt GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Okay, you know you all wish we could trick games into thinking they are in multiplayer while going online. Though most have discarded the idea as impossible because the games really can't connect to anything outside of the software or IOS's.

I have thought about it, and I think there might be a way to input commands and codes and stuff inside games from an outside source (aka WADs). You see, the Wii has many games that utilize the Mii system to put Miis inside your favorite game. To do this, wouldn't the wii have to communicate with the Mii channel? If someone with more skill could examine the Mii channels interactions with other games they could figure out how to put custom commands in place of it. Make the Wii think "This wad is the Mii channel, let the game connect with it". So the channel can add codes to the ISO via a DLC type mechanism.

Though, the Games might not be connecting the Mii channel and might just be connecting with data that the Mii channel also connects with. If this is the case, it is still possible , because the Mii channel manipulates Mii codes, so through something like Bootmii we could manipulate the the Mii channel to manipulate those codes and have them tell the games to access codes we inputted ourselves inside the ISO or follow DLC like codes that make it think its Local.

Am I onto something or just crazy?

2. xDlmaoxD

Member xDlmaoxD GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Anything can be possible as long as there is someone that can do it.
    You see anyone can give their views but it takes someone with skills to make them happen.
    So this is just another thread that really has no value, it might not even matter in a week.
    Who knows maybe someone open their eyes and hacks the wii cause of your idea, anything can happen [​IMG]

3. Phratt
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the response, great person!

I don't know, I know alittle coding but I can't really read foreign files, and look for programs and command prompts and all that other stuff. I'm not a hardcore hacker, more like a script kiddie =[.

Brainstorming never hurts though, right?

4. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    In order for multiplayer to be hacked into a game, you'd have to figure out a way to do the following:
    • Implement some way of configuring a remote IP address and port to connect to and a way to accept incoming connections
    • Send and receive data to and from a remote Wii
    • Display graphics from the host Wii on the connecting Wii
    • Redirect controller input from the connecting Wii to the host Wii
    That would all have to be hacked into IOS, which I doubt is even possible. Sorry to burst your bubble [​IMG]

McH

5. thc42O

Banned thc42O Banned

Canada
    buffer overflow in a Mii could be possible.

6. Phratt
    OP

United States
    No, its great to get a serious answer. I've been laughed at for my ideas many times before, I appreciate the cooperation alot.

This makes sense, but I wonder how Downloadable content works then?

Games do have to ability to access the SD, for music, save files, ect. I wonder what limits they have for that, and what restrictions are applied to keep from allowing hacks.

7. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    AFAIK, DLC providers like GH:WT and RB2 work in the same way as the Wii Shop. The IOS connects to the Wii Shop, downloads the content and encrypts it.

The limits imposed on SD access are whatever limits are present in the chosen IOS at the time of game development. For instance, a game coded to use IOS36 probably wouldn't take advantage of the SDHC access provided by IOS51 (?).

I'm far from a Wii hacker and I'm totally just speculating all this stuff, so anyone should feel free to correct me if they think I'm wrong. [​IMG]

8. F0ur2o

Member F0ur2o GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    "Excitetruck's SD music feature" could maybe be exploited or at least explored.

There are obviously in game calls to the SD card to scan for your music and launch songs -- during gameplay.

Time to rip apart an excitetruck image and have a look.

9. Phratt
    OP

United States
    That makes a lot of sense, i bet someone has more info as to how DLC works and maybe we can see if there is more to it.

If we can exploit some sort of connection from the Games to Outside the IOS, theres alot we can do more conveniently.

Heres a few things I thought of:

1)Tricking game into thinking Online is multiplayer

2) Custom textures, applied more at ease and noob friendly (have a .wad or exploit apply the codes and images for the textures to the game.)

3) Probably even breaking the Friend codes restrictions.

4) Custom Patches (Like translations, music ect.)

All these can be done by manipulating ISO's but if we could look more into manipulating software from an outside source, we can make things more convenient. Just download this wad and use the exploit then viola! You have your patch.

but once again, all speculation from a Script kiddie. Nothing more.