GCN Game Cube MODs/Equipment

Emu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking to MOD a GC, I need a good MOD(soldering is fine) but at a good price(suggested websites/links). Also i'd like to know where I can get a cheap triwing screw drive(The nintendo screw driver). Along with the suggested soldering equipment(hopefully a low one that won't hurt or be too high, and will also work for wii MODs.)

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Also the media the GC uses(dvd-r/dvd+r? or is it CD-Rs?) and suggested brands for best quality media!

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I use a Viper Extreme chip that I bought from Divineo ages ago (not sure if they still sell them). As for the media, it's blank DVDs you use but when I tried burning them, it was real sensitive about the media and in the end, it turns out the stuff made using GO4 ink is the best. I bought them from ebay and it wouldn't hurt to also buy a case mod that allows full sized DVDS to be used

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Divineo.cn has the original 'Viper GC' on sale now for $14.95. That's a great price. They also have Tri-Wing screwdrivers - but a GameCube doesn't have any Tri-Wing screws on it - just the controllers. You need the 'gamebit' screwdriver/bit if you don't have that already. Do research on softmods too.

If you don't want to mod your GameCube case or buy a new one to accomodate full size media stick with Ritek G04 Mini DVD-Rs. For full size stick with the G04 media if you can find it. DVD-Rs are what you need. Most GameCubes are picky when it comes to media.

See countless other threads here and everywhere on the net for soldering equipment. As with all things the best equipment costs more but you can get by with cheap soldering equipment and practice.

larvi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another option for a softmod is to get the Datel SD media launcher from here:

http://www.codejunkies.com/

I recently got one and have been able to successfully run the nes and snes emulators and have tried one backup and got it working as well without having to open up my GC. There's a pretty good tutorial here on how to get it working:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/468895

DEF-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If I where you I would get a Viper GC from Divineo.cn. $15 is extremly cheap and it's a great chip.

I'm using a Viper GC Extreme myself and it works great, especially with the new Cobra 2.1 bios when you load
injected DVD drive codes. My GC reads alot more media when I did this.

You probally have to tweak your laser too a bit, it is very easy though, it will get much easier to find working media.

I would recommend getting a bigger case if you can, or find mini dvd-r that work good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, hi