Game Cube MODs/Equipment

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by Emu, Feb 25, 2007.

Feb 25, 2007

Game Cube MODs/Equipment by Emu at 6:02 PM (1,417 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Emu
    OP

Member Emu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm looking to MOD a GC, I need a good MOD(soldering is fine) but at a good price(suggested websites/links). Also i'd like to know where I can get a cheap triwing screw drive(The nintendo screw driver). Along with the suggested soldering equipment(hopefully a low one that won't hurt or be too high, and will also work for wii MODs.)

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Also the media the GC uses(dvd-r/dvd+r? or is it CD-Rs?) and suggested brands for best quality media!

2. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I use a Viper Extreme chip that I bought from Divineo ages ago (not sure if they still sell them). As for the media, it's blank DVDs you use but when I tried burning them, it was real sensitive about the media and in the end, it turns out the stuff made using GO4 ink is the best. I bought them from ebay and it wouldn't hurt to also buy a case mod that allows full sized DVDS to be used

3. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    Divineo.cn has the original 'Viper GC' on sale now for $14.95. That's a great price. They also have Tri-Wing screwdrivers - but a GameCube doesn't have any Tri-Wing screws on it - just the controllers. You need the 'gamebit' screwdriver/bit if you don't have that already. Do research on softmods too.

If you don't want to mod your GameCube case or buy a new one to accomodate full size media stick with Ritek G04 Mini DVD-Rs. For full size stick with the G04 media if you can find it. DVD-Rs are what you need. Most GameCubes are picky when it comes to media.

See countless other threads here and everywhere on the net for soldering equipment. As with all things the best equipment costs more but you can get by with cheap soldering equipment and practice.

4. larvi

Member larvi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Another option for a softmod is to get the Datel SD media launcher from here:

http://www.codejunkies.com/

I recently got one and have been able to successfully run the nes and snes emulators and have tried one backup and got it working as well without having to open up my GC. There's a pretty good tutorial here on how to get it working:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/468895

5. ediblebird

Member ediblebird GBAtemp Fan

Australia
  6. Devante

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    What the heck? $8.99? Does it not work or something? That seems too cheap!

7. DEF-

Member DEF- GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    If I where you I would get a Viper GC from Divineo.cn. $15 is extremly cheap and it's a great chip.

I'm using a Viper GC Extreme myself and it works great, especially with the new Cobra 2.1 bios when you load
    injected DVD drive codes. My GC reads alot more media when I did this.

You probally have to tweak your laser too a bit, it is very easy though, it will get much easier to find working media.

I would recommend getting a bigger case if you can, or find mini dvd-r that work good.

8. larvi

Member larvi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just made some more backups for my SD media laucher and so far I'm 6 for 6 using these Fuji DVD-R mini dvds:

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?sc...51&RSKU=3634951

They show up as Ritek media in Image Burn so I would guess that Ritek DVD-R would work as well. I have not done any laser tweaking on my cube.

9. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
  10. kirra

Member kirra GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What's the difference between the QOOB Pro and the Xeno GC Modchip seems too good to be true.

11. ediblebird

Member ediblebird GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    thats what i was thinking.

but after i installed it, adjusted my POT, it works with everything not a single DRE.