Gameboy Modding!
This group is for people who enjoy modding Gameboys of every kind. Feel free to post your Gameboy mods here!
Gameboy Modding!
Gameboy Modding!

Game Boy Modding is Awesome!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BongoBongo
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 61
  • Replies Replies 1
  • Likes Likes 1

BongoBongo

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Feb 26, 2024
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Trophies
0
Age
35
XP
78
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently gotten into Game Boy modding. I've grown up with Nintendo and the Game Boy and absolutely love the system. I've finally jumped into the modding scene and have crafted my SP into a blue/black two toned console. I also recently picked up a Game Boy Pocket second hand (I was really lucky that it was in such good condition), and have given it a new clear shell and buttons (it is a thing of beauty).

I'm basically writing on here because I wondered if with the retrosix Game Boy Pocket IPS screen mod, Can I get away with only soldering one wire? Or, better yet no soldering at all? With these kits, does it technically only need one wire (and the ribbon cable) connected to work, and then there's no brightness control, but it still works?
 
Last edited by BongoBongo,
  • Like
Reactions: SylverReZ
I've recently gotten into Game Boy modding. I've grown up with Nintendo and the Game Boy and absolutely love the system. I've finally jumped into the modding scene and have crafted my SP into a blue/black two toned console. I also recently picked up a Game Boy Pocket second hand (I was really lucky that it was in such good condition), and have given it a new clear shell and buttons (it is a thing of beauty).

I'm basically writing on here because I wondered if with the retrosix Game Boy Pocket IPS screen mod, Can I get away with only soldering one wire? Or, better yet no soldering at all? With these kits, does it technically only need one wire (and the ribbon cable) connected to work, and then there's no brightness control, but it still works?
I'm not too sure, many kits like the Funnyplaying GBC Q5 require soldering to the power switch to drive the backlight voltage, and the Pocket might be a similar design. Cheap soldering irons that are USB-powered and small for this kind of stuff exist all over, and are good enough for beginners to use for these beginner mods like soldering wires.
 

Group statistics

Group owner:
Jayro
Members:
326
Threads:
38
Messages:
163
Photos:
6

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted