Game Boy Light (Japan)

garbanzox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody have one of these? Are they worth the price? I can play older games on my GBAs but it's just not the same.

I recently bought a GBC with a front-light mod and I really don't like it. The contrast is terrible, and I can't handle the added glare from the grooves in the light panel...

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody have one of these? Are they worth the price? I can play older games on my GBAs but it's just not the same.

I recently bought a GBC with a front-light mod and I really don't like it. The contrast is terrible, and I can't handle the added glare from the grooves in the light panel...

I don't have a GBL, but what is wrong with using a GBASP (specifically the later models with the better backlight)? I mean I prefer the design of a standard GBA to the SP, but really an SP will get all that you want done with a fantastic screen and backlight.

garbanzox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I have a late model SP, as well as a 1st gen GBA with a backlight mod. It just feels too much like emulation to me when I play GB/GBC on the newer devices, with their perfect colors and crisp pixels. Original hardware is more fun :)

Jockel

This is where you're wrong, kiddo
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a GBL. It's nice. Any questions I could answer?
I'd probably sell it to you if you or traded it if you want it.

garbanzox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a switch to turn the backlight off? Does it help gameplay when it's on? Is the contrast good?

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I got a new one with box and instruction, complete. A gold GBL.

Are they worth the price?

No. It's a nice collectors item, if complete and in mint condition, but not more.

Then don't go for a GBL. Even with the Backlit tuned on, the contrast is still not good. In my childhood, i would have chopped my left arm off for a Game Boy with an internal light. But compared to that what we have and know today, it's terrible.

As much as i know, there is now "offical" way to really play Game Boy B/W games with comfort and enjoyable.

Original Game Boy - No light, bad contrast
Game Boy Pocket - No light, a bit better contrast
GBC - No light
GBL - Terrible light, bad contrast
GBA - No light, good contrast
GBA SP - Good light, good contrast, but no original screen size and feeling

I also got an GBA with an GBA SP Backlit built in, thats the best way to play B/W games. Or i use an Game Boy Pocket and place myself under a good light source.

Of course, Emulation is an other thing...

Reactions: longernohuman

garbanzox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Bonny, great feedback.

Another thing that bothers me about playing GB on GBA is that old games get colorized! I want to play them in B&W.

Well, at least there's the Game Boy Player :/

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Then there's the option of modding a GB/GBP with backlight.

Like these one
You don't have to mod it with an orange light, there's normal white ones too.

Wasn't trying to brag with my nickname on the pictures, reason I have it written is because I've been trying to sell it off on Tradera (swedish ebay).

garbanzox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then there's the option of modding a GB/GBP with backlight.

Like these one
You don't have to mod it with an orange light, there's normal white ones too.

Wasn't trying to brag with my nickname on the pictures, reason I have it written is because I've been trying to sell it off on Tradera (swedish ebay).

Are the LEDs that visible while playing?

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Another thing that bothers me about playing GB on GBA is that old games get colorized! I want to play them in B&W.

Well, that's true. But, you know, when the game starts up, you can select the color via the Digipad and the A and B Buttons. And there is a "color" that comes very close to the original BW. I hope you know what i mean :P

Well, at least there's the Game Boy Player :/

Also true. But isn't the "color-problem" the same there?

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
i bought one and sold it. yes the backlight is good but the contrast is still bad. i prefer playing on gba sp ags 101- or backlight modded original gba.

emulation on gameboy micro via goomba is good too. it has the extra of super gameboy palettes and borders if you want.

longernohuman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Original Game Boy - No light, bad contrast
Game Boy Pocket - No light, a bit better contrast
GBC - No light
GBL - Terrible light, bad contrast
GBA - No light, good contrast
GBA SP - Good light, good contrast, but no original screen size and feeling

Is it better to play original game boy games on game boy colour than gba sp?

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is it better to play original game boy games on game boy colour than gba sp?

Yep, if you don't care that a original Game Boy Colour has no back- or frontlight.

The best way to play classic and color Game Boy Games is the "GB Boy Colour" Clone from Kong Feng. I got one of these last week. Really neat! I love that thing! - http://gbatemp.net/review/gb-boy-colour-review.92/

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Essentially Game Boy Light is a sligtly bigger Game Boy Pocket with an indigo electroluminescent light like the one found in old electronic watches. If you're looking for a well-lit screen, your only options are the Game Boy Advance SP and a modded Game Boy Color which you already have.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol