Game Boy black and white flash cart

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by jamespoo, Jul 22, 2011.

Jul 22, 2011
  1. jamespoo
    OP

Member jamespoo GBAtemp Fan

New Zealand
    is there any as i have an old one and it would be nice to play all the old games on one flash cart

2. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Actually there are quite a few, but it's going to be hard to get a hold of those as they're pretty rare these days. Your best bet would be eBay or consolegoods.co.uk/.

Among others there are the GB XChanger and the E-Merger (which I have myself). This website has a nice overview of what cards were available and also provides essential info if you want to build one yourself.

3. Rockman GFF

Member Rockman GFF GBAtemp Regular

United States
  4. Bree500

Member Bree500 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    rockman, that was a great find. The video was interesting. I might buy one of those for christmas.

5. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I don't know why, but I always forget that those newer carts exist. Thanks for reminding me!

There's also the 64M USB Smart Cart from EMS which you can buy here or here. I haven't ordered anything from these shops myself, though, but as BleepBloob's cartridge was sold at nonfinite electronics I think they're reliable. Sometimes there are carts on sale at 8bitcollective too.

6. Todderbert

Member Todderbert GBAtemp Fan

United States
  7. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    I still don't trust bleepbloops. After going incommunicado for over a year the seller/creator, Jose Torres, finally gets back to me and sends me two carts, but they're not usb like the one I bought. Now I have two carts and no programmer. :/

8. indask8

Member indask8 New Member Forever

France
    My favorite is the 64MB card from EMS I've got two of those, and they work perfectly fine, you'll need winXP to program them.

9. Xarsah16

Member Xarsah16 GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot

Is that smart boy website all that reliable? It seems like every single shipment from their suppliers gets stopped by Customs... I wouldn't want my cart getting stuck/never receiving it [​IMG]

10. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    I have a smartboy and it works great under Windows7 x64, no drivers needed, just the software to write/read tot/from the cart.

I still have my original BUNG GB flasher with 64MB cart, but i don't have a PC anymore with LPT port :/ (but that may change soon [​IMG]) (PCI lpt ports don't work, it has to be LPT onboard)
    I own a few other GB/GBC flashkits, but Bung is still the best [​IMG]
    I also have an old CCL (China Coach Limited) GB backup device that also worket with there snes copiers (Pro Fighter Series) to write GB games to it, was 4MB cart, think this was one of the first GB b/w copiers out.

11. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    I find that the program doesn't always work/stay connected to the USB programmer. It takes me 2-3 attempts to usually program it, sometimes more.

12. Jiro2

Member Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I found this page which lists the carts that actually are modern, so that 1) you may still be able to find one for sale, and 2) they run on USB, so you don't need an old PC with a parallel port. http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/1277/ems...s-info-request/ All these carts have already been mentioned here and they all have various disadvantages.

I'm hoping that somehow, someday, someone will make a modern SD card-based GB/GBC flash cart.

13. alphamule

Member alphamule GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't think this is going to happen except as a homemade cart. It just doesn't make economic sense since there's plenty of people willing to use the emulators on DS and PSP systems. That doesn't even cover cell phones and laptops. Sigh, but we can dream... What I can see being practical is making an SD adapter for the link port using a cheap microcontroller. Then 'just' make a loader(firmware) for the existing flash carts and firmware for the microcontroller. The major advantage to this is that it takes very little soldering skills. The hardest part to solder is the SD Card slot. The major disadvantage is that it would be "SD" SLOOOOOOOWWWW!! :D

14. eastbayarb

Newcomer eastbayarb Advanced Member

United States

Damn, I have never seen those. Too bad - an SD based GB/GBC flash cart is long overdue....64mb just isn't enough...

15. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    But wait there is a way and that way is GB Bridge of which I have but one unit!

The one GB flashcart to rule all GB flashcarts!

[​IMG]

16. jimmyemunoz

Member jimmyemunoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    ^^ This thing is old news. The new cart to rule all carts is about to hit the scene Drag'n'Derp

Features:
    • 24MBit (3MByte) flash ROM
    • 1MBit (128KByte) Ferroelectric RAM

Instead of battery-backed SRAM, the cart uses F-RAM, which maintains its contents in the absence of power, and has a data retention span on the order of a hundred years.
    • USB mass storage emulation

The cart appears similar to a thumb drive, allowing ROM and RAM contents to be copied via drag and drop. No drivers are required, and supports all USB-capable platforms.

17. DigitalDeviant

United States
    looks awesome! I wonder if theres any chance for mass production..one can dream.

18. eastbayarb

Newcomer eastbayarb Advanced Member

United States
    I have a gb bridve and three 256mb f2a carts...

1 person likes this.
  19. DigitalDeviant

United States
    Nice! Willing to sell one of those f2a carts?

20. alphamule

Member alphamule GBAtemp Fan

United States
    SD Card on the GBA is easy for (small) homebrew - just use a microcontroller with SPI and 4 general-purpose I/O pins for multiboot. Now if only the GB/GBC had multiboot! :(