(G)UI mods for Desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by The Milkman, Feb 24, 2013.

1. The Milkman
    OP

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    Hey guys, I got myself a brand new lappy not too long ago and I decided to take my old desktop, make it a bit more compact, and give it to my cousin for his birthday. Since he loves games from the 90s so I just put a few old games my bro has and my ROM collection on it with some emulators. Problem is though, he's 9 and pretty much unable to solve the mystery of using the desktop and explorer. So I want to make it easier to navigate for him, but I want it to look consolish too. I tryed Big Picture for Steam and its alright, but a bit laggy and I cant figure out how to activate it without making him an account. So I wanted to know if anyone knew of any programs that modify the desktop and make it easier to navigate with a controller, or make it similar to a console screen altogether?

Also, while im here, does anyone know any other low-end PC games that play like retro games? I visited the Freeware and Top 50 list already.

2. darklink801

darklink801 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2009
    Netherlands
    You could try Rainmeter(http://rainmeter.net/cms/) but you'd have to check out some skins and find one that suits you or make one yourself if you have the skills for that.

When you say you want a console look it makes me think of the windows 8 metro you could try using that? (so installing windows 8 or a windows 8 rainmeter skin )

Hope this helps even a little, Goodluck :)

Zantigo likes this.
  3. The Milkman
    OP

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    Ok ill try this out, thanks.