fwunpack

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by zatelli, Feb 13, 2007.

Feb 13, 2007

fwunpack by zatelli at 1:46 PM (1,550 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. zatelli
    OP

Member zatelli GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France

fwunpack

DS Firmware unpacker

[​IMG] Fwunpack - DS Firmware unpacker

2. TheStump

Member TheStump Got Wood?

Australia
    Useless fact: at first i thought the program was called Funpack...that is all.

3. 7llusion

Member 7llusion GBAtemp Regular

France
    What use would this be, exept for sastifiying your curiosity? Make a new firmware for the DS that looks better?
    Illusion

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Nice tool I will have to try it out.

You can make a new firmware quite reasonably already (all this info is available).

This tool is really just for reverse enginering the standard firmware (to get it to a stage where you can disassemble it), as it says you would have to find a way to re-encrypt and compress it yourself though before you could create your own.

5. qjopera

Newcomer qjopera Advanced Member

United States

so can this be used to replace the vaporware firmware of the MK3 with that of another flashcart's like m3 simply or r4 for better compatibility or ninjads since ninjads has an sd card slot??? can I use this to make MK3 act as a gba cart using it's inner flash plus that of a slot-2 cart for running gba games from the slot-1 carts as long as they are burned???

6. jeklnoo

Member jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    no. now go away.

7. _V1qY

Member _V1qY GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Are there any sources that can recompress the firmware? I've looked at Desmume source code and it doesn't contain recompressors. I downloaded NitroSDK which does indeed have Huffman compressor, but it is producing a different result from the original when I attempt to repack.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    If this is related to http://gbatemp.net/threads/emulator-that-supports-firmware-writing.356194/ did Crystaltile2 not do what you want?

Equally the way Huffman works is it scans the file to find the most common runs of hex and giving them lookups. If you change the file you change the distribution/most common runs and thus are not likely to get an identical one. Similarly depending upon the scan type/complexity it might not pick up all the same things.

As you asked for compression though http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-ds-gba-compressors.313278/ is pretty much reference grade.

For the record though this is the only thing that even touches the firmware beyond dumping it and the names/birthdays/colours thing that Crystlatile2 and all the others do.