1. HylianBran

HylianBran For your Phantomile...

United States
    No way! You're telling ME that I can be smart AND fuck off by playing video games?!?!? WOW, THIS IS THE DEAL OF A LIFETIME!

2. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    What was the name of that game

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Wow

3. DeanThorpe

DeanThorpe Newbie
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    This is for those that may wish to code on their switch. Obviously some may not have other options although that's probably pretty uncommon however the benefit of being able to play games you and others code on your switch is probably clearer to some than others.

Incase you missed it, Fuze4 has a built in on screen keyboard which (and I'm no genius admittedly) is the other option to connecting an external keyboard.

I believe its a unique language with ease of learning at its core.

I'm Really sorry for the double post. Misunderstood how the forum posts and replies/threads layout.
    Happy gaming, stay safe.

Last edited by DeanThorpe, May 16, 2020
    NoiseTank_, T-hug and TomRannd like this.
  4. Robika

Robika GBAtemp Regular

I recommend Game Maker 2, I have been learning for few months and it is just great.

5. blissbeef

blissbeef Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Looks interesting, though it seems like a lot of effort to learn a language that can only be used on the Switch.

eriol33 and TomRannd like this.
  6. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I gave FUZE a good try, but I had just too many issues from it to really continue at this time. For one, it doesn't have its own means to play your own custom audio, like MML. So, I went and worked on my own. It worked, but that led into a major issue. For some reason, it kept crashing FUZE (not a regular programming error) within a minute of running and throwing me back to the Switch Home Menu, likely due to some problem with memory management after copying data between arrays too often. Another issue I have is their choice to making maps be more or less static in nature. As it is, you have to make a map in a separate program within FUZE, then you basically load it in your program, position it, and handle collision. While it's nice and simple, you don't get much other functionality with it. If you wanted more flexibility, you had to make it your own. All this and more then boils down to doing things yourself in software, which unfortunately eats heavily on how much processing you can do in a frame's worth of time, which is already rather low because of its interpreter nature. Even after numerous updates, the program still continues to crash on me.

That's not to say you can't do things with it, but I feel that FUZE is more about learning how to use what's available rather than make your own implementations. FUZE provides a LOT of assets for you to work with, so if you wanted to make your own game, you'd use what's available on-hand rather than try to do things differently with your own custom stuff. This feels like the polar opposite of SmileBASIC, which while it doesn't provide a lot of assets, the flexibility and power of the language compensates for that. Perhaps in the simplest sense, FUZE is more for beginners, to get them in the mood, while SmileBASIC is more advanced, but requires more dedication.

Rahkeesh, zoogie and Dodain47 like this.
  7. samcambolt270

samcambolt270 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm aware, but... why would I ever want to use that? On screed keyboards are fine when all you need to do is type a name or a very short message, but are useless for anything more than 3 lines. It's the same reason you wouldn't want to code on a phone. It's tedious and would make long code even more grueling than it already is.
    I would, but I don't exactly have money. I honestly don't have the money for it. After looking up the price for this game, I dont have the money for it game either, lol. I expected it to be, like, 5 bucks max. Also, I'v tried the free trial for gamemaker 2 and it's not really for me.

8. freestile

freestile GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I want a switch now. This looks cool to me.

NoiseTank_ likes this.
  9. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Looks good I actually went to school for coding 10 years ago trying to lean Oracle and JavaScript... I wish I took the class more seriously and got my OCA License and took the internship. I still have my business computer programming certificate from the course but I don't remember a thing about coding lol

10. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

United States
    now if only SmileBASIC came out on the Switch

EDIT: lmao it turns out it released right under my nose i was trying to find it 2 months ago

Last edited by Orangy57, May 17, 2020
  11. nachuz

nachuz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Chile
    SmileBASIC 4 released for the Switch a month ago in case you missed it

12. Memerz1

Memerz1 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    smileBASIC is better in every way, but ok.

13. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

United States

14. smileyhead

smileyhead This is definitely not a robotic component!

Hungary
    This looks interesting, I'll definitely check it out.

NoiseTank_ and Prans like this.
  15. romain337

romain337 GBAtemp Regular

France
    Fuze4 and SmileBasic are very welcome apps. If only a pico8 app could be released, It would be very nice too.

NoiseTank_ likes this.
  16. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Cool.
    Now waiting for the inevitable exploit.
    I mean come on, it happened with a game as simple as cubic ninja on 3ds, that only used a level editor
    this game is a fully functioning coding IDE.

17. MaxToTheMax

MaxToTheMax Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Idk how this is a GBATemp exclusive lol

18. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    lol says "Bug free games" SO when m Y GAME boots a .nro off the SD card, then thats ok right? Its not a bug it was programed to do that. Ill call it the adventures of Loading.

19. cracker

cracker Nyah!

United States
    Has anyone looked into the format of the save files to make cross-platform editing possible? I only took a quick look in a hex editor and saw that they were obfuscated, but I haven't got my hands dirty yet.

20. NoiseTank_

NoiseTank_ Newbie
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Learning to code as a total beginner without knowledge of things like Stack Overflow can be quite daunting. Having to set up graphics environments etc. Not the wheelhouse of your average kid.

We made Fuze to be a complete out of the box experience. You install it, you write code and run it for immediate feedback!

I'm Dave, one of the Fuze team. I've taught hundreds of youngsters using Fuze at this point to many age groups. If Fuze makes learning the basics accessible, and gets more poeple into programming in the long run, I wouldn't say it's pointless!

The language is indeed specific to Fuze, this is true. However - for somebody who doesn't know how to code, learning in Fuze will provide highly transferable knowledge to other more complex programs. It's intended as a gateway program.

That said, experienced programmers will find Fuze very easy to pickup and do amazing things with it, as we're seeing on our forum!

astrocapsule and romain337 like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Nintendo, teaches, through