Hacking Translation Fuuraiki 3 - Need Help

AttackOtter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
banner.png

A friend and I have been discussing the possibility of a fan translation for Fuuraiki 3.
He's a Japanese to English translator, and a huge fan of the series.
I'm a hobbyist graphic designer, and I'll be the image editor and project manager for this fan translation.

We've hit some major roadblocks on the technical side of things and would really appreciate any help we can get in overcoming them.

Fuuraiki 3 was published for PSVita by Nippon Ichi Software, and as such uses NIS's archive formats.
Existing tools for NIS games are able to unpack and repack the files with few problems, but there are a few major issues that get in the way of us committing to this translation.

Current Issues:
  • Reinsertion/Repacking: The English script files cannot be larger than the Japanese files or it overwrites other files in the archive.
  • Font: The default font sucks, plain and simple. There aren't really any tools to work with this font format, and the one I have found, I haven't gotten to work.
  • Text: The game supports plain English characters but is unable to display regular space characters unless preceded by a quotation mark. Full width space characters have been used as a workaround, but they waste a lot of the limited space available.
The scripts are text files contained in the archives "sinario.dat" and "kigi.dat" (both DSARC FL). These are contained in the "dat1.dat" (FAFULLFS) archive.

Below are our current attempts at text insertion.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png
unknown.png

unknown.png
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png
unknown.png

Last edited by AttackOtter,
Reactions: sadoku and RaniaAl

PrincessLisette

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i'm so glad to see someone is working on this. always wanted to check out this series.

the text in your screenshots reminds me a lot of the official localisation of the otome game Bad Apple Wars on the Vita. That used very similar text formatting. It's readible, but in terms of comfort is not ideal (i know cause i played it and managed to get used to it). so i definitely get why you're hesitant to commit to a full patch.

Have you considered attempting to inject the text into the game to release a patch with the font as it currently is and then attempt to fix it later with a patch update? I would personally be OK with that as i think others would be too.

AttackOtter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm so glad to see someone is working on this. always wanted to check out this series.

the text in your screenshots reminds me a lot of the official localisation of the otome game Bad Apple Wars on the Vita. That used very similar text formatting. It's readible, but in terms of comfort is not ideal (i know cause i played it and managed to get used to it). so i definitely get why you're hesitant to commit to a full patch.

Have you considered attempting to inject the text into the game to release a patch with the font as it currently is and then attempt to fix it later with a patch update? I would personally be OK with that as i think others would be too.
We can't insert the translation and release a patch because of technical issues regarding file sizes.
The font is an image format that we also can't edit with current available tools.
This project isn't really gonna happen anytime soon, if at all, without someone to help with the technical issues.

BAW is a different situation where the font itself was horizontally squished to fit in the text boxes instead of rendering a new font.

froid_san

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
So the problem is when you re-insert back the modded text file, its not be bigger than the original text file? Am I understanding correctly?

Like in the kigi.dat, the n011a.txt should not exceed 2,449 bytes when translated?

froid_san

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
The table on kigi.dat looks simple enough that the quickbms script that was given to to on your post on zenhax may possibly will work with the generic reimport batch file included with quickbms.

The trick is you need to use the reimport3_localizations.bat or reimport2 along with quickbms so it will reimport the files and adjust the table

Not sure what program you are using to rip the text files, but baisically...
  1. download quickbms from the official site and the
  2. extract quickbms.exe and reimport3_localizations.bat to a folder
  3. same the quickbms script posted by LinkOFF and save to a text file and rename to something like DSARC.bms
  4. double click quickbms.exe -> select DSARC.bms -> select kigi.dat -> save to a folder name like kigi_ext
  5. Modify the text file and not worry about the file size. maybe do a quick edit test on the 1st dialog then save the text file
  6. To reimport the file, double click reimport3_localizations.bat -> select DSARC.bms -> select kigi.dat -> select the folder with the modded text (kigi_ext) the folder we previously used.
  7. profit and import back the kigi.dat to the dat1.dat or patch_data.dat (if it exist there and that's the most most updated version)
You could skip step 1-5 if you already rip the text files using another program and go straight to importing. You may try the reimport2.bat

Not sure if you need to padd the end of the file, can't really test since I don't know what tools you use to repack the dat1.dat, so you can test it yourself.

AttackOtter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is exactly the issue, and I feel absolutely dumb that I never saw that BAT file.
That'll teach me to drop everything in the same folder.

Thanks for that, because it basically fixed everything.

Edit: Sadly, can't seem to do anything about the awful font.
Criminal Girls 1 and 2 use the same format, but even with the font.bin swapped (which I believe is the font table), it just shows garbled text.

Last edited by AttackOtter,

froid_san

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I think you need both font.dat and the font_*.imy from criminal girls to make the font work on Fuuraiki. If you just use the font table from criminal girls it will still map the font image of Fuuraiki.

AttackOtter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should have clarified that I used the dat and imy files from CG, not just the dat, and it didn't work. I meant that despite the font.dat being replaced, it still seemed to parse it like the original font in some respects.

CG's English font doesn't work due to a lack of assigned characters in the font table (I assume), so the text just doesn't render. Japanese font gets garbled, but is still being rendered correctly.

Something else seems to be wrong there, unrelated to the actual font files. The garbled text character sizing seemed to remain unchanged from the default font. Potential issue could be Fuuraiki expecting a fixed character size, so that's how it parses out the font bitmap regardless of its actual mapping.

What few resources I've found about the imy format have led to dead ends with dead links that used to be for tools for the Criminal Girls games, which is why I thought swapping the fonts would be a potential option.

I'm definitely more of a graphic design person than a tech person, so rubbing up against lots of dead ends here.

DannyBeGoode

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish I had the technical knowledge to assist you with this project. I have been dreaming for years of one day getting to play the Fuuraiki series in English and just the other day stumbled upon this post while surfing the web for any news on localization efforts. To everyone working on this project: please do not give up, your work is very much appreciated.

I am not too familiar with the world of fan translations or video game translations for that matter but, I would like to add that I am a Spanish translator. If the project is ever concluded, I would be happy to one day work on a Spanish translation based on your English translation.

Thanks again to all working on this and I hope you find the answers you seek.

froid_san

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Should have clarified that I used the dat and imy files from CG, not just the dat, and it didn't work. I meant that despite the font.dat being replaced, it still seemed to parse it like the original font in some respects.

CG's English font doesn't work due to a lack of assigned characters in the font table (I assume), so the text just doesn't render. Japanese font gets garbled, but is still being rendered correctly.

Something else seems to be wrong there, unrelated to the actual font files. The garbled text character sizing seemed to remain unchanged from the default font. Potential issue could be Fuuraiki expecting a fixed character size, so that's how it parses out the font bitmap regardless of its actual mapping.

What few resources I've found about the imy format have led to dead ends with dead links that used to be for tools for the Criminal Girls games, which is why I thought swapping the fonts would be a potential option.

I'm definitely more of a graphic design person than a tech person, so rubbing up against lots of dead ends here.
I'll see what I could do, and maybe mess around with the font.bin.

[Edit]

I don't know what tools are you using to extract and repack the dat1.dat, and was lazy to search for tools so I just hexedit the files directly to the dat1.dat to test and it seems like the font of the Japanese version of criminal girls kinda works on Fuuraiki, not perfect but a bit better than the original font.

2022-06-08_17-38-47.png

2022-06-08_17-39-59.png

2022-06-08_17-41-27.png

2022-06-08_17-40-27.png

2022-06-08_17-40-53.png
2022-06-08_17-41-49.png

I've attached criminal girls font and I'll try to mess with the font.bin and maybe the fix of the spacing issues of text like l, i, I, L can be found there.

BTW just curious are you also using the patch/game-update of the game?

Attachments

• fonts.rar
    595.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited by froid_san,

AttackOtter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot for this, dang.
I've been using the Nippon Ichi Software FAFULLFS quickbms script for unpacking and repacking the dat files.
For the script files, I've been using the Yomawari DSARC FL quickbms script.

Other than that, I don't use any other tools, really.

I was trying to use a patched font for CG from when people ported the translation to the Japanese version, which may or may not have been the crux of the issues there. Really appreciate your help with the font, because that definitely works.

For font editing, I was attempting to use this set of tools, but I don't have experience with grable, so couldn't really figure it out. There was another toolset from the same account that they had a while back judging by this thread, but it's been removed. If nothing else, that thread has more information about the IMY image format.

I'm not using a patched version of the game, just the base game.

froid_san

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I've seen that tool and I too have no idea with the grable/kotlin files.

I think you could rip the files on the game update, just to get the latest version of the script then merge it it the base game you are modifying.

Just post in this tread if you're having problems with modding the game, I'll help the bast as I can.

WithoutAnySeas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope this isn't spam. Site rules and all. I searched for AttackOtter, and this site was pretty much the only thing that came up, so you can be sure I won't further spam him. I sent him a PM on the A Reyvateil's Melody Tapatalk forum and then figured that was a site where he might never see it. I see here that the translator involved seems to be someone else and busy, but perhaps AttackOtter can have a look at that message and save me the cost of buying the same game a second time on another platform anyway.

Reactions: AttackOtter

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, explain the process