Future Wii will abandon hand controllers

TGBoy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Leading chipmaker Intel claims its processing technology could see Nintendo able to completely remove physical controllers from future game consoles.

Source

So will Nintendo favour Intel now instead of IBM?
If Intel is able to deliver performance equating to 1 trillion calculations per second in the next wave of gaming hardware, it will certainly eclipse current standards, which see the PlayStation Cell pushing around 256 billion calculations per second. So if Nintendo favours Intel then the next Wii console will certainly be better than the Sony PS3.
Wasnt it Sony's plan to make PS4 a sort of upgrade on the PS3? Sony could be in trouble then if tats the case.

beautifulbeast

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think Nintendo's strategy has more to do with using the cheapest technology available to create the funniest games instead of going for the most powerful/expensive hardware.
Besides, think of all the extra money all companies are making by selling additional controllers. That and playing a game without a controller in your hands would just feel weird (aside from missing force feedback).

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would love to see it like a Minority Report style control where you just use your hand movements. Hey, less chances of a flying wiimote flying about

beautifulbeast

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would love to see it like a Minority Report style control where you just use your hand movements. Hey, less chances of a flying wiimote flying about

That would be neat and doable in next generation, but I think it would work as a means to browse and sort through documents like videos, pictures, music, etc rather than as a way to control a videogame.

mflo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

That would be neat and doable in next generation, but I think it would work as a means to browse and sort through documents like videos, pictures, music, etc rather than as a way to control a videogame.
Toshiba is already working on a TV like that. http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nb20071004a2.html
They're using the cell processor though.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is NOT anything Nintendo has said. It is just an idea Intel has. I seriously doubt gamers would want to setup other devices around the room to play the games. I don't see Nintendo alienating people like that.

PBC

What!? I can change this??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The future of game controllers is in your head. Or...rather...on top of it.
Games of the future will literally read your mind...via a helmet that reads your brain waves. Like an EEG (Electroencephalography) This technology is past becoming available and if the big guys don't pick it up then they will be losing out to much smarter game makers who WILL use this tech. That is...if it works well in time for the next wave...who knows...

Check a demo of EPOC...set to come out early this year....

http://www.thinkartificial.org/artificial-...rol-demo-video/

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
OK, the Wii controller is different and fun.
But atleast it's a controller.

Nintendo would be going overboard to use some wierder gimmick to playing games...*facepalm*

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
The future of game controllers is in your head. Or...rather...on top of it.
Games of the future will literally read your mind...via a helmet that reads your brain waves. Like an EEG (Electroencephalography) This technology is past becoming available and if the big guys don't pick it up then they will be losing out to much smarter game makers who WILL use this tech. That is...if it works well in time for the next wave...who knows...

Check a demo of EPOC...set to come out early this year....

http://www.thinkartificial.org/artificial-...rol-demo-video/

A friend of mine is an electrical engineer who is working on changing the frequencies at which wireless data transfer can take place. One of his mentors is a very famous electrical engineer who is now involved with a start-up working on this exact technology. Website is here... Looks damn cool to me...

Emotiv Systems

There are a few demos from this company on youtube:

Vid

I particularly like how there is still movement of the body. Presumably this is to prompt your mind to "think" of the movement you want to achieve...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16