Future DLC for games with GOTY versions

Harley Quinn DLC... your thoughts?

• I still have the game; I'm getting it!

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I had to give up the game, but I'm getting the GOTY release

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I'll pass

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Since I've heard of the news that there will be a GOTY version of Batman: Arkham City this month, I'm pretty pumped up again, considering I've finished the game already but I wanna play through it again and I didn't really fiddle with the challenges as I just rented it. Now that I've pre-ordered it, it's gonna be a keeper and I'll tackle the challenges when I get it, not to mention the new Harley DLC.

I've also heard that Arkham City will have future episodes, I'm not really familiar with how content works across different versions of games, so I'm asking these questions:

1) Are there any other games that had DLC after a GOTY/ultimate version was released? I look at Borderlands, Arkham Asylum, and BF: BC2 and, correct me if I'm wrong, those games did not have DLC released after a GOTY version was released.

2) I've only ever owned one physical GOTY version, and that was Arkham Asylum. On the 360, the GOTY version was different than the standard version in a way that saves cannot be used inbetween the two versions and the achievements list are separate. Does this also apply to GOTY versions? I haven't tried a game where I played a standard edition beforehand, finished the game, bought the GOTY months later and continued the save.

3) How are the extra content usually bundled? Arkham Asylum had all the content on the disc. Are there other GOTY releases where the extra content came in the form of a download code/extra disc/online pass?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i never finished arkham city when it first came out, and i wasn't surprised that a goty version was announced, i have the steel tin version of arkham city so trading it in for the goty version is a bit of a rip off as i paid the full £40 for it, won't be buying this at full price due to my huge backlog anyway.

for anyone buying the goty on release date, you should let us know if a online pass is required in the case like the standard version was, that could give me a good reason to buy the goty if the online pass is omitted.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some games had DLC released and then bonus packs (borderlands double pack for example) and then GOTY or equivalent. Equally some games might have skins or something really trivial released but I can not place any, depending upon how you look at it some of the title updates have changed a fair bit and been released after DLC but that is usually multiplayer related. Mainly as they bore me to tears and back again I have not been able to confirm it but the Fifa games have some odd ideas but I suppose technically they do not have GOTY versions not to mention I think I will attempt to figure out the versions/timeline of street fighter again before I untangle Assassin's Creed II.

Going further back in time and with a few examples this go around several games had expansions of a form released and then "gold" versions and sometimes even 1.5 (remastered) versions that were extra to the gold versions (looking at several European/western RPGs). You might also want to look at the gears 2 "all fronts" and "dark corners" stuff.

2) See the "1.5 versions" above for some examples but that is very much the exception as opposed to the rule (on the 360 I was not aware of any until you mentioned that one and possibly some of the shmups depending upon how you look at it- they are quite often ports of different versions of the game with quite far reaching differences). Of course if you have levels coming into play balancing the DLC against them and weaving it into the story can be hard.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Since I've heard of the news that there will be a GOTY version of Batman: Arkham City this month, I'm pretty pumped up again, considering I've finished the game already but I wanna play through it again and I didn't really fiddle with the challenges as I just rented it. Now that I've pre-ordered it, it's gonna be a keeper and I'll tackle the challenges when I get it, not to mention the new Harley DLC.

I've also heard that Arkham City will have future episodes, I'm not really familiar with how content works across different versions of games, so I'm asking these questions:

1) Are there any other games that had DLC after a GOTY/ultimate version was released? I look at Borderlands, Arkham Asylum, and BF: BC2 and, correct me if I'm wrong, those games did not have DLC released after a GOTY version was released.
-You are correct. No DLC has come out for those games mentioned after the GOTY edition was released. I have yet to find a game that does release DLC after the GOTY edition is released, so who knows.

2) I've only ever owned one physical GOTY version, and that was Arkham Asylum. On the 360, the GOTY version was different than the standard version in a way that saves cannot be used inbetween the two versions and the achievements list are separate. Does this also apply to GOTY versions? I haven't tried a game where I played a standard edition beforehand, finished the game, bought the GOTY months later and continued the save.
-Arkham Asylum was the first 360 game I encountered that had a separate achievement list. Most GOTY edition for games count as the regular game and do not have seperate achievement lists. Arkham City GOTY edition will most likely have a separate achievement list.

3) How are the extra content usually bundled? Arkham Asylum had all the content on the disc. Are there other GOTY releases where the extra content came in the form of a download code/extra disc/online pass?
-DLC that come with GOTY editions usually have codes to redeem it through download and not on the disc. Again, Arkham Asylum was the first 360 game I encountered that had the DLC on-disc for the GOTY edition.

Reactions: 1 person

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know RE5 Gold has the DLC as codes only, but a lot of other games (Borderlands, Dragon Age, Gears of War, and anything by Bethesda) generally have on-disc DLC, though that's changing as it's stupidly easy to pirate, at least for the 360.

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

-You are correct. No DLC has come out for those games mentioned after the GOTY edition was released. I have yet to find a game that does release DLC after the GOTY edition is released, so who knows.

-Arkham Asylum was the first 360 game I encountered that had a separate achievement list. Most GOTY edition for games count as the regular game and do not have seperate achievement lists. Arkham City GOTY edition will most likely have a separate achievement list.

-DLC that come with GOTY editions usually have codes to redeem it through download and not on the disc. Again, Arkham Asylum was the first 360 game I encountered that had the DLC on-disc for the GOTY edition.
Thanks!

So Arkham City will actually be the first game to have a GOTY release AND have DLC after a GOTY version was released! I'm looking forward to those future episodes (fingers crossed for more Hush)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol